Ruins of Bonn Kanach, new Jonstown Compendium title

Psullie

Hello everyone

I'm pleased to announce the release of my latest Jonstown Compendium title:

The Ruins of Bonn Kanach

Set back from the road to Blackwell and perched upon a jagged bluff sits the haunted ruins of Bonn Kanach. Abandoned and empty for many centuries this once great EWF city boasted fine palaces, an arena and a great temple. Even trolls fear the city that they once commanded and dare not pass within sight of its crumbling walls.

But when a grazelander merchant offers you clean silver for any trinket or bauble pulled from the rubble your suspicions are swayed by the chance of easy money.

The Ruins of Bonn Kanach is presented in the style of the early ‘dungeon exploring’ scenarios and describes several distinct areas of the city with options for the Games Master to fully flesh out the details to suit their own campaign. Major personalities are described, each with its own motivations and their relationship with the city’s other inhabitants. From their base at Stone Cross adventurers can set out to explore the ruined city and return as often as they wish.

Ruins of Bonn Kanach is the first instalment in a trilogy of adventures set in Beast Valley. It can be used as a stand alone resource or part of the longer campaign. Parts two and three will be released later this year.

Contents
Ruins of Bonn Kanach - 35 page scenario book (colour and greyscale)
NPC Roster - 36 pages of characters and adversaries (colour and greyscale)
8 unlabelled maps (print and VTT)
3 handouts (print and VTT)

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/346045/Ruins-of-Bonn-Kanach

Reviews and comments would be appreciated.

Hope it gives you many hours of fun

Michael Paul O'Sullivan

BonnKanach_cover.jpg

• Like 20

• 3 months later...

Aarrrrgh. Just bought it because I have players in one game who would like some loot very much thank you and only just noticed how tightly tied it is to 1626. Both of my campaigns are already in Sea Season 1627, with Fire Season right around the corner. Looks good though on first glance.

• Thanks 1

It didn't feel "tightly tied" to 1626 when I read it. The author mentions that it's part of a series that will culminate with an event which "canonically" happened in Earth season of 1628, but (a) you surely know by now how much weight the "official timeline" carries with me, and (b) we don't yet know what happens in Parts 2 & 3 of the Beast Valley Campaign. There's nothing in Ruins... itself that could only happen in early 1626, IYSWIM.

• Thanks 1

(Counter-example: Jorthan's Rescue claims to be set in a fairly tight window after the Dragonrise: I see no reason to take this at face value)

5 hours ago, Arcadiagt5 said:

Aarrrrgh. Just bought it because I have players in one game who would like some loot very much thank you and only just noticed how tightly tied it is to 1626. Both of my campaigns are already in Sea Season 1627, with Fire Season right around the corner. Looks good though on first glance.

Hi Arcadiagt5

Nick is correct, there would be nothing to stop you using it in 1627 - it is meant to be a loose time frame anyway and early adjusted to suit your needs. Part 2 will cover 1627 and Part three 1628 - but as no one seems to know when the Battle of Heroes takes place - this is all very flexible.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Psullie said:

Hi Arcadiagt5

Nick is correct, there would be nothing to stop you using it in 1627 - it is meant to be a loose time frame anyway and early adjusted to suit your needs. Part 2 will cover 1627 and Part three 1628 - but as no one seems to know when the Battle of Heroes takes place - this is all very flexible.

Ok, cool. I'll have to look at it since my game calendar is fairly tight already, it might not get a run until 1628 at the rate I'm going in at least one game (Sea Season 1627 is nearly over, Fire Season already has at least one adventure pencilled in, there’s other stuff happening....) 

17 minutes ago, Arcadiagt5 said:

I'm going to seriously consider running this if my players commit to it. The issue for me with this is that I will have to set up all the maps and NPCs in Roll20 and that’s going to be a lot of prep work. So without that commitment first, I ain’t gonna. 

I may have to quote you should I run into a similar problem with my table. The amount of work pre-covid was a lot. On-line it is hellish. Hell, I am going to make a preemptive strike and let them in on your thoughts now. 

Edited by Bill the barbarian
  • Like 2

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

4 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

I may have to quote you should I run into a similar problem with my table. The amount of work pre-covid was a lot. On-line it is hellish. Hell, I am going to make a preemptive strike and let them in on your thoughts now. 

Go for it! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have barely broken the spine (so to speak) of that good looking PDF, but my gaming group, recovery from Covid 19 and Austin Conrad have kept me quite busy. Let me take this back to the purpose of the original post by Arcadiagt5. Though this is set in post Dragonrise times, can it be used pre Dragonrise. Will there be a lot of work required to change it to earlier times. 

We play in 1611.

As for keeping you up to date on how we find and use it. No probs!

Edited by Bill the barbarian

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

1 minute ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Though this is set in post Dragonrise times, can it be used pre Dragonrise. Will there be a lot of work required to change it to earlier times. 

For The Ruins of Bonn Kanach as a standalone scenario, no work at all is necessary to set it in 1611 (unless you want to add officious Lunar patrols or something).

For the wider Beast Valley campaign, I guess we'll have to wait and see. With any luck you might be able to rework it for Sartarite rebels trying to ally with Beast Valley back when Kallyr Starbrow's first public pratfall was kicking off, but only @Psullie will know for sure.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Psullie said:

Hi Bill and Arcadiagt5 

I do hope you are able to fit this into your campaigns. I'd love to hear feedback especially on the VTT maps with any comments or suggestions as how they could be improved. thanks again 

psullie

Will do. On initial glance one possible concern is the size of the maps - larger maps tend to show reduced performance from Roll20, especially when dynamic lighting is involved. I found this an issue with Rocks Fall where I had to break the map into much smaller chunks to prevent everything grinding to a halt.

One issue observed with Remembering Caroman is that aligning the map image to the grid can enlarge the image enough that it becomes blurry, especially if it’s not immediately clear what the appropriate tactical scaling (1 box = 3 m) is. The Ruins of Bonn Kanach maps don’t have the photo-ish images of Remembering Caroman so that should be less of an issue, but did seem like they’d need to be expanded a lot to get to tactical size.

A secondary issue can be the scramble to find images to put on tokens for NPCs that don’t have images in the adventure.

Edited by Arcadiagt5
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, AndreJarosch said:

Velhara´s Mirror (follow up to "The Ruins of Bonn Kanach")

Thanks - I shall buy this.  

I’m running Ruins on Roll20 at the moment (thank you @Psullie) and my group are really enjoying it.  As one said, “It’s like going to the Big Rubble without having to go to the Big Rubble”.  The separate PDF of stat-blocks is a god-send and the VTT maps are very good.  Thoroughly recommend the scenario and am looking forward to the follow-up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @AndreJarosch 

@RandomNumber so glad you and you group are enjoying the little rubble, hope you enjoy part two though it is very different

@Akhôrahil You could easily transpose RoBK to any location where you'd expect ruined hill top settlements, part two however is firmly set in Beast Valley

Edited by Psullie
clarification
  • Like 2