Background Music

rust

For the fictional Arabic Call of Cthulhu setting Merasan, which I am currently

working on (again ...), I think I will use something traditional, for example

these here, from "soft" to "powerful":

YouTube - música árabe (Tribal)

YouTube - azam ali innal malak

YouTube - DARBUKA PERCUSSION ARABIC ARABE INSTRUMENTAL IMPRESIONANTE!

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

While I will use music for setting the mood of a game session or even encounter I rarely have it playing while we are playing for fear of one more distraction. What I do use extensively is sound effects. Rather then saying, "You here squeaking from the wood floor above" I simply play the track that I have preloaded on the MP3 player and away we go. Over the years I have acquired around thirty CDs (there are almost as many cassettes collecting dust somewhere in the basement) and with half hours work I can assemble the desired sounds for an evenings gaming.

Over the years I have acquired around thirty CDs (there are almost as many cassettes collecting dust somewhere in the basement) and with half hours work I can assemble the desired sounds for an evenings gaming.

Nice idea Rob. When I play music it is typically very low background stuff for I hate feeling I have to compete with anything for the groups attention. I have often wanted to have a larger collection of sound effects for that same purpose. Closest I have gotten is using some of those "relaxation" CD's. I had one for a rain forest and an ocean. The ocean one was nice when I had the group at sea for an extended time. The sounds of the seagulls, wind and waves really added to the ambiance.

Rod

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

"D100 - Exactly 5 times better than D20"