[HQG] Feats and runes

Zit

In HQ:G, each feat is associated with a rune. Does this mean that it has to be written under this rune, or is it possible to write it under any other rune belonging to the Deity? For instance, can an Orlanthi devotee with 11W in Air but lacking the Mouvement rune gain the Four Magical Weapons feat and write it under his Air rune ?

Wind on the Steppes, role playing among the steppe Nomads. The  running campaign and the blog

Generally feats are associated with specific runes as that's where their power comes from. Does the hero have no movement rune at all? If so he's clearly the thunderous kind of Orlanth as opposed to the adventurous, and that's the key the the character. Perhaps he can swap out one of his runes on a daring heroquest or start another at Keyword at 13. If you want to be full on Orlanth the three main runes need to be Atir, movement and mastery.

Well, as far as I'm aware the rules don't specifically say that you need to possess and use the associated rune for a particular feat, but that seems like the much more sensible interpretation to me. If a feat is always a breakout from a rune, and each feat write-up in the book has a rune associated with it, it stands to reason that you're supposed to break that feat out from that rune. Especially since in-universe a feat is you heroforming as that god to do that mythic deed, and there's a risk of failing if you aren't adequately performing as that god (the "identity challenge"). That in mind, it makes more sense to suppose that the demands of doing so are sufficiently strict that you do, in fact, need to use a specific rune. If your connection to the Motion Rune isn't strong enough, it's probably inadvisable to try to perform one of the Orlanth Adventurous feats, and if you don't have that rune at all, it probably just isn't going to happen, period.

13 hours ago, Leingod said:

Well, as far as I'm aware the rules don't specifically say that you need to possess and use the associated rune for a particular feat, but that seems like the much more sensible interpretation to me.

Page 146.

Feats are breakout abilities of a specific Rune.

• Thanks 1