Art in the Cults Book

Runeblogger

13 minutes ago, Joerg said:

Who's that girl with the grey banana on her head? Which of the Lightbringers is crossing blades with Kyger Litor? And is that the Black Eater the three-armed Orlanth is struggling with?

I generally parse the Orlanth one into three sections: top is his early deeds including romances and slaying Yelm; middle is the Gods War with the battle with Aroka at the center; at the bottom is the Lightbringer's Quest.

The figures on the left top are non-Earth goddesses he has courted.  The grey "banana" is a crescent moon, so some early Moon Goddess (perhaps Orogeria?).  The sea goddess would be Triolina.  And I'd interpret the blue goddess as Uleria. 

On the bottom, the Lightbringer with the blade fighting Kyger Litor has to be Flesh Man (and since he is wearing perhaps "western" armor, I'm interpreting him to also be Malkion). 

The figure Orlanth is pushing aside is probably the Only Old One, but the Black Eater might work as well.

6 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

On the bottom, the Lightbringer with the blade fighting Kyger Litor has to be Flesh Man (and since he is wearing perhaps "western" armor, I'm interpreting him to also be Malkion). 

I have interpreted the man fighting the darkness creature as Issaries, and the blueish man in the back as Flesh Man (blue = dead). 

28 minutes ago, AndreJarosch said:

I have interpreted the man fighting the darkness creature as Issaries, and the blueish man in the back as Flesh Man (blue = dead). 

Except Issaries is not known/noted for fighting with a sword or wearing armor.  And the little spikes around his head may suggest communication or perhaps magics associated with such.

12 hours ago, jajagappa said:

I generally parse the Orlanth one into three sections: top is his early deeds including romances and slaying Yelm; middle is the Gods War with the battle with Aroka at the center; at the bottom is the Lightbringer's Quest.

The figures on the left top are non-Earth goddesses he has courted.  The grey "banana" is a crescent moon, so some early Moon Goddess (perhaps Orogeria?).  The sea goddess would be Triolina.  And I'd interpret the blue goddess as Uleria. 

Never heard of him courting Uleria in particular, but some flings with Helera (the clouds).

Bluish grey moon girl? Not even Annllla had begun a career as the moon yet (born to the dead sun and black Dendara in Hell). His daddy had a quicky with Verithurusa in the impact crater/Hell.

But then i never heard about a fling with Triolina. Tholaina, sure ("an air god").

You forgot the scariest of the girls on the left, though - Spider Woman.

The blue wizard in behind would be as appropriate for LM, but the golden one (really a Talar coloring) is holding scrolls and wearing a (fake?) beard, too. Flesh Man as Horali? I had no idea that the Westfaring was that Malkionized...

The figure Orlanth is pushing aside is probably the Only Old One, but the Black Eater might work as well.

The OOO would make sense, but that belly mouth is something else. And clashing with KL? The depths of the Obsidian Palace had a banquet, then the Lighbringers allowing themselves to be put into solitary confinement, stunned by Eurmal's deed and bound to vows. But then, the individual failures of the Lightbringers in Hell had to be accompanied by other conflict. On the whole, I see the events in Hell more as an internal journey than as fighting.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

Recently on RPGnet I used the captioned version of the HeroQuest: Glorantha cover in the Glorantha Sourcebook to explain what's happening in the picture to a Glorantha newcomer. 

I look forward to complex images like this receiving explanatory captions & keys in later publications.

😉

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AndrewTBP said:

I look forward to complex images like this receiving explanatory captions & keys in later publications.

One of the enjoyable aspects of these pictures is how they can make us think about the aspects and relationships of the deities.

For instance, consider the figures in the bottom left and right of the Ernalda/Earth image.

At first glance, you see quakebeasts in the lower left and a pile of bloody bodies in the lower right, so that would mean Maran Gor on the left, Babeester Gor on the right.

But, then you look closer at the iconography of the figures.  The figure in the lower left wears the necklace of hands, has the tongue lolling out, and wields the axe overhead.  All Babeester Gor iconography.  (And if you look at the Orlanth picture, you'll find the same figure with the necklace of hands in the upper right with her double-bladed axe - clearly Babeester Gor there).

Then the figure in the lower right has a halo of bones around her head (dead quakebeasts? the Dragonspine?) and perhaps is stomping.  But more important she wears a crown with an Earth Rune with a red stone at the center.  Compare to the Orlanth picture, and you'll find the same crown on the waving goddess in front of Babeester Gor.  So, the figure in the lower right is Maran Gor.

That Maran Gor is stomping upon the pile of bodies that you'd expect Babeester Gor upon, and Babeester Gor is with the quakebeasts you'd expect Maran Gor to be with, suggests that there's an interchangeability between these two goddesses in the myths that invoke the Dark Earth. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Sorry to necro this thread but, it ses like the best place to ask. I remember seeing a post somewhere that showed a preview of the physical work from which the above posted art by Agatha Pithié is taken. I think it looked like a huge scroll of watercolor art. 

You can clearly see how the three images from the Storm Age are all cut from the same source image.

That sort of work is almost exactly what I imagine a LM sage trying to decipher from time to time. Mythic imagery as much as actual text. 

I would do basically ANYTHING to be able to get a poster of the wonderful art Agatha Pithié has created to bring the Gods to life. 

3 hours ago, HreshtIronBorne said:

Sorry to necro this thread but, it ses like the best place to ask. I remember seeing a post somewhere that showed a preview of the physical work from which the above posted art by Agatha Pithié is taken. I think it looked like a huge scroll of watercolor art. 

You can clearly see how the three images from the Storm Age are all cut from the same source image.

That sort of work is almost exactly what I imagine a LM sage trying to decipher from time to time. Mythic imagery as much as actual text. 

I would do basically ANYTHING to be able to get a poster of the wonderful art Agatha Pithié has created to bring the Gods to life. 

I guess, you mean this one:
image.jpeg.a2187b873c18579011ff70efb3f97

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1