Can some Investigators help solve this mystery with Library Use...

Rick Meints

On Halloween 1981 The Chaosium debuted our Call of Cthulhu RPG on an unsuspecting world. The rulebook cover featured the now iconic picture of Cthulhu rising out of the ocean, as drawn by Gene Day. Until this month, what I didn't know was that Gene did not draw this for our project. It was created for an earlier unknown publication. Perhaps the following clues will allow one of you to help me figure it out. Here's what I know:

In early 1979, Shadow Press (of Canada) published a special edition collection of Gene Day's art called All Things Dark and Dangerous. They printed 950 numbered copies, each signed by Gene. It has a general list of the publications all the art first appeared in (see photo), but not on a piece-by-piece basis. So which one was the Cthulhu picture originally in? More than likely, it is from something published between 1973-1978...

ps: lots of early Gloranthan and Lords of the Middle Sea art is also featured in the book.

IMG_3531.thumb.JPG.6beb51e8b0887a76ef12c66c8e18f3bd.JPGIMG_3530.thumb.JPG.1daa99904d00b8baeb6feb9d78a4c2f4.JPG

All-Dark-Gene-Day.JPG

IMG_3528.JPG

IMG_3529.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

4 hours ago, Psullie said:

Or as the last line suggests, appearing in this selection for the first time. 

It’s also odd that Gene didn’t date the Cthulhu pic like he did the others

Agreed. Do we know for a fact this Art Book wasn't the original source of the art?

More searching today has turned up nothing. Cross referencing all the sources listed and also image searching.

• Thanks 1

Chances are, if the Cthulhu picture was published prior to when this book came out in 1979 it would have been in one of the following:

Dark Fantasy V4, #14, September 1977 for the R'Lyeh Rises article.

Weirdbook #11, page 49. or Weirdbook #12, page 34, or Weirdbook 13, page 76.

Pickman's Portrait (HP Lovecraft portfolio), which I can find very little info on.

Of course, I fully concede that the Cthulhu pic may be one of the few unpublished ones.

• Thanks 1

Hope that Helps,

26 minutes ago, Nick Brooke said:

This looks like actionable intelligence. Possibly too mainstream for @scott-martin, but you never know, the man has hidden depths.

Well, it's a strange aeon. And these are gorgeous!

I'll consult the Weirdbooks and I think I have that Dark Fantasy. Will edit in results.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

singer sing me a given

19 hours ago, Grimmshade said:

Someone on MEWE suggested contacting Sandy Peterson. Would he know?

I chatted with Sandy about this very topic yesterday afternoon. Unfortunately, he came on board as a Chaosium employee after the artwork had been done. He wrote the CoC manuscript as a freelance writer working from home. Other people at Chaosium had done the art direction.

• Like 2

Hope that Helps,

I can tell you as a librarian that the two libraries I'm seeing globally that have a copy are the University of South Australia and Libraries and Archives Canada

Best bet is to contact their reference areas and see if you can get scans or if they'll give you any information on those pages. I can attempt to do further digging if that leads to blockades on your end.

I looked into both and will try reaching out to Canada first. Seems far more likely based on their system.

Edited by pepperdrop
More info
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1