Heroquests

Soccercalle

Any news about the things we have been waiting for a couple of decades, official RQ rules for Heroquests? We was promised that they would follow soon after the new rules. I think it is great that the Jonstown Compendium gives us scenarios and settings. But I think that Chaosium should prioritize official Heroquest rules and official cult descriptions. That is more important than "the art". I would rather prefer an ugly word-file in 2021 to the most beautiful book ever in 2027 or something.

• Like 2

Meh, just make up your own.  I’ve got an NPC, Djonni Pomsemeur, who wants to bring apples to Balazar to create new trade opportunities.  Given that Balazar is generally agriculture-poor, he’s going to need to undertake a quest to find the source of apples and bring them back to Balazar.  So...

Find source of apples.  Some dangerous travel required.

Get blessings of source of apples.  Promises and POW will be required.

Bring seeds back to Balazar.  Obstacles to overcome; trolls, dwarves and others opposed to goal to get through.

Get blessings of local Oread

Fertility ritual (humunna humunna, Uleria fun uh huh)

Golden Apple for the clan.  Improved standing with local Aldryami.  And Apple cider.  Better than that Elkoi beer, I tell ya!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GMKen said:

Find source of apples.  Some dangerous travel required.

Plenty of apples right next door in the Imtherian southlands!  The Sun Dome Temple there provides plenty of blessings for the Earth goddesses.  But don't bring those Balazaring dogs along!  There's a long-time feud between the pups of Brother Dog and the pups of Rowdril in Saird.

Imther?  None of those chaos apples, thank you very much.  Probably taste like Broo crotch drippings.  And why is it that Lunars think that everything red belongs to them?  

What if we’re looking for, say, Golden Apples of the Sun? (which was, now that I think about it, a hero quest story)  Probably have to go talk to Yelm about those, but rumor has it they’re golden delicious.  Or maybe Granny Smiths.  Hearth Mother might be able to point us in the right direction for those.  Probably too tart for cider, though.

From a Balazaring perspective, I’ve always thought that the movie Alpha offers a fine example of how Foundchild quested to bring Brother Dog back to the clan during the dark times to help the clan prosper.

And if those Saird mongrels can’t handle the muy macho Balazaring fighting and hunting dogs, that’s on them.  Lesser dogs should feel intimidated.  Otherwise why would Lunars come in and steal Balazarings as slaves if not to train their dogs for them?  Just remember, though, Balazarings actually speak with their dogs, their brothers.  They’re not just dog whisperers, they’re talented and gifted dog whisperers.

1 hour ago, GMKen said:

Imther?  None of those chaos apples, thank you very much.

That's Tork you're thinking of!  Totally different place.  No chaos apples in Imther, if you please.  Good Orlanthi, upright Yelmalions, and insightful Lunars all working together towards a more perfect union...  And, yes, both gold and red apples to be found, as well as luscious pears - all the bounty of the Earth goddesses (unlike poor, blighted Balazar which turned away from civilization and its bounty so, so long ago).  😉

12 hours ago, Oracle said:

Patience is a virtue - and it seems to be the most important geas for all Runequest addicts ...

I think...

Chaosium really dropped the ball on this one.

We keep hearing this "we must be patient", but I totally disagree. It should be that Chaosium re-evaluates (or should have re-evaluated) its priorities.

Rules for Heroquesting has become a joke because of the decades of waiting **, and thus should have been seen as one of the first things to prioritize.

This "you've waited 40 years, you can wait another 5 (hur hur hur)" is somewhat of a slap in the face to loyal fans.

*Especially* since I'm quite certain that the writers have been using some form of HQ ruleset for a good long portion of that time... 

And also especially since there have been other fan versions come out as well (+1 plug Secrets of Heroquesting in the JC).

Given that Chaosium knew there would be a LOT of old-timers coming to RQ:G, who had been waiting "patiently", AND knew that there were numerous other sources they would meld in (HQ/HW, older cults books, etc), the basic rules for Heroquesting most definitely should have been in the RQ:G book, with expansion (more examples) in the upcoming GOG. Or, put the rules in the first GoG book, rather than wait another... Who knows how long??? 

Personally, I'm *not* holding my breath for a 2021 release of the HQ rules. Nor am I extremely excited about them, given I've already got 2 (similar) rule sets I can already use. So Chaosium would *need* to come up with something significantly better than those for me to consider changing. At best, I suspect I'd just take an idea or two from it, to mash in with what I suspect are already superior versions.

(oh, wait... No! Mongoose, that much maligned publisher, has them! And quite a good working version, with good usable mechanics and rewards... Hmmm, maybe I should dump Chaosium and go back to Mongoose...!)

• Thanks 1

I have only been playing since the early 2000's but, I am in agreement. There is an OBVIOUS desire/need for HeroQuesting rules for RuneQuest. The Hero Wars and High Power Levels are upon us. We shouldn't be having to 'wing it' with a MAJOR factor that makes up the wonder of Glorantha. It has been incredibly frustrating for HeroQuesting to be central to Gloranthan existence, mythology and canon but, has never even been touched by official rules. Okay, maybe a few mentions of heroquest powers or heroquestors in some scenarios. 

Edited by HreshtIronBorne

1 hour ago, coffeemancer said:

which mobgoose book would that be?

Cults of Glorantha. It includes brief rules for heroquesting (two pages) and myths for heroquests of every major cult, briefly described.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9824353-cults-of-glorantha

Read my Runeblog about RuneQuest and Glorantha at: http://elruneblog.blogspot.com.es/

2 hours ago, coffeemancer said:

which mobgoose book would that be?

1 hour ago, Runeblogger said:

Cults of Glorantha. It includes brief rules for heroquesting (two pages) and myths for heroquests of every major cult, briefly described.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9824353-cults-of-glorantha

Plus, the MRQ1 book - Magic of Glorantha... about 4 pages of general rules, plus another 20 pages in example HQ myths for the major cults. (however, it's very God Learnery... but, still there!) The info is generally similar.

On 2/19/2021 at 1:34 PM, Soccercalle said:

Any news about the things we have been waiting for a couple of decades, official RQ rules for Heroquests? We was promised that they would follow soon after the new rules. I think it is great that the Jonstown Compendium gives us scenarios and settings.

Yeah, I couldn't wait, so produced a HeroQuesting supplement in the Jonstown Compendium, plus a supplement containing some HeroQuests.

But I think that Chaosium should prioritize official Heroquest rules and official cult descriptions.

Cults are definitely coming. HeroQuesting rules will follow some way behind.

Not everyone is into HeroQuesting, even though everyone should be into HeroQuesting as it is great fun.

That is more important than "the art". I would rather prefer an ugly word-file in 2021 to the most beautiful book ever in 2027 or something.

The new RuneQuest is bound together with the art in ways that I cannot really understand. 

I'm a text guy at heart and having great art makes something pretty, but is not the most important thing for me.

However, a lot of people think the art is the most important part, or a very important part.

So, we have to wait for the artwork.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

16 hours ago, Shiningbrow said:

We keep hearing this "we must be patient", but I totally disagree. It should be that Chaosium re-evaluates (or should have re-evaluated) its priorities.

I don't know because I keep also reading other people on these forums say that Chaosium "should" prioritize the cult book more because "obviously" you can't run games with only the rulebook's cult, and how Chaosium "should" prioritize the Sartar Homeland book more because "obviously" you can't force people to go and use the older HeroQuest Sartar book, and how Chaosium "should" prioritize the books on Nochet or the West or Kralorela or whatever because "obviously" you can't ask fans to play "yet again" in the same Sartar+Prax sandbox that they've had for 40 years and "obviously" they should change things. Only not change things like advance the timeline to 1625, for some reason...  so yeah I think there will be people complaining either way 🙂 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

2 hours ago, lordabdul said:
18 hours ago, Shiningbrow said:

I don't know because I keep also reading other people on these forums say that Chaosium "should" prioritize the cult book more because "obviously" you can't run games with only the rulebook's cult, and how Chaosium "should" prioritize the Sartar Homeland book more because "obviously" you can't force people to go and use the older HeroQuest Sartar book, and how Chaosium "should" prioritize the books on Nochet or the West or Kralorela or whatever because "obviously" you can't ask fans to play "yet again" in the same Sartar+Prax sandbox that they've had for 40 years and "obviously" they should change things. Only not change things like advance the timeline to 1625, for some reason...  so yeah I think there will be people complaining either way 🙂 

My take on this is that there is a lot of existing information extant about Glorantha and different settings therein. There really has never been a suitable official approach to HeroQuesting with the RuneQuest rules. Even though HeroQuests are central to every culture on Glorantha, and especially the Ultra-Heroic Orlanthi Glory Seekers. Heck, we have Kallyr, Argrath, Minaryth, and several other famous active Experimental HeroQuestors right alongside the PCs. The PCs have NO OFFICIAL WAY to engage with HeroQuests, and they have never, in RQ rules.

This becomes even more of a problem if you want to have a clan focus in your campaign. There has been much discussion about what exactly a Holy Day is and what PCs do during them. The general consensus I have seen is that Worship Ceremonies are generally HeroQuests on some level of a myth about that God and how they fit into whatever thing we are celevrating. I haven't read them completely myself but, I hear there are some great decriptions of Holy Day events in some of the new adventures. Which is galling, as the PCs just get to sit and watch people on what I can only assume is a HeroQuest because they look like the Gods. If Worship Ceremonies are HeroQuests and we are supposed to be gearing up for the Hero Wars, then I would think HeroQuests should be a huge focus for playable rules. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HreshtIronBorne said:

The general consensus I have seen is that Worship Ceremonies are generally HeroQuests on some level of a myth about that God and how they fit into whatever thing we are celevrating. I haven't read them completely myself but, I hear there are some great decriptions of Holy Day events in some of the new adventures. Which is galling, as the PCs just get to sit and watch people on what I can only assume is a HeroQuest because they look like the Gods. If Worship Ceremonies are HeroQuests and we are supposed to be gearing up for the Hero Wars, then I would think HeroQuests should be a huge focus for playable rules. 

And that's equally an argument for the Sartar book to understand the community in which the worship ceremonies are held, and the Cults book as how can you play out a ceremony and quest if you do not know what the myths are?  As much as I'd like to see the Heroquest book out, I think the order of the books makes sense from the standpoint of helping both new GM's and new players (both of which are key to the ongoing development of RQG) become familiar with Glorantha as a setting. 

• Like 3