40th Anniversary Predictions Discussion

klecser

On 2/20/2021 at 9:18 PM, kross said:

Wow. Everything looks so... PRISTINE. All of mine show every bit of their age.

Well, you *ARE* looking at a post from "Mr. Suitcase" himself...
Who now has access to the Restricted Collection (at Chaosium's secret Cthulhu-survival bunker).

Just sayin' ...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

14 hours ago, g33k said:

Well, you *ARE* looking at a post from "Mr. Suitcase" himself...
Who now has access to the Restricted Collection (at Chaosium's secret Cthulhu-survival bunker).

Just sayin' ...

Everything in my pictures is from my personal collection! 🙂

• Like 8

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

On 2/25/2021 at 6:20 AM, Rick Meints said:

Everything in my pictures is from my personal collection! 🙂

As I've said elsewhere --

I should like to contribute to your GoFundMe page, for a top-grade fire-suppression system for your home!

C'es ne pas un .sig

On 2/24/2021 at 8:31 PM, StevenGEmsley said:

Not necessarily nostalgic anniversary, but we have had superb books on magic and monsters, time for cults and cultists to shine with their own book. 

And Dreamlands please!

I agree.  I'm not really all that fussed about a special edition for the 40th Anniversary.  The 50th would be great, especially since Chaosium will probably be thinking about an 8th edition by then.  But for now we've got excellent new and updated content coming out, and I'd rather have that.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, SunlessNick said:

I agree.  I'm not really all that fussed about a special edition for the 40th Anniversary.  The 50th would be great, especially since Chaosium will probably be thinking about an 8th edition by then.  But for now we've got excellent new and updated content coming out, and I'd rather have that.

People keep mentioning an 8th edition. Not so sure about that.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

9 hours ago, Rick Meints said:

People keep mentioning an 8th edition. Not so sure about that.

After purchasing a LOT of books for 7e in just a few months time, I'm terrified of the words 8th edition.  😛

I would purchase some sort of 40th Anniversary 7e book though, to be a shelf or Keeper's only copy.

There are plenty of role-playing games that do just fine without new editions. I've never understood this desire to get to the next edition soon after the newest is released. Some people seem to think that the grass is always greener in the new edition, and then they get there and complain about it anew. 7th is fine. If you don't like 7th, house rule. 🙂  A lot of people just stuck with 6th. That's fine too. It's not like they're that different.

For me the 40th anniversary is an excuse to do special things. And if you don't view it that way, that's just fine. But I'm not sure why you'd deny anyone a desire to get special things?

Edited by klecser

This might be more of a wish in general, rather than just for the 40th, but, I would really like to se a bigger collection of artifacts and alien devices. 

Edit: I see that this is a bit off topic. Sorry.

Edited by greger
Added disclaimer.

16 minutes ago, greger said:

This might be more of a wish in general, rather than just for the 40th, but, I would really like to se a bigger collection of artifacts and alien devices. 

Man, I would love a book entirely focused on tomes and artifacts. 5th edition had a Keeper's guide (or something, I own it but can't remember the name) that listed the tomes and the skill benefits, etc. that went with them. I'd love to see that updated and compiled with artifacts, etc.

51 minutes ago, greger said:

Me too.

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, Grimmshade said:

Man, I would love a book entirely focused on tomes and artifacts. 5th edition had a Keeper's guide (or something, I own it but can't remember the name) that listed the tomes and the skill benefits, etc. that went with them. I'd love to see that updated and compiled with artifacts, etc.

Me too

• Like 6

4 hours ago, klecser said:

I've never understood this desire to get to the next edition soon after the newest is released.

Nobody said anything about wanting an 8th Edition.

2 hours ago, Grimmshade said:

Keeper's guide (or something, I own it but can't remember the name) that listed the tomes and the skill benefits, etc. that went with them. I'd love to see that updated and compiled with artifacts, etc.

Keeper's Companion Volume 1.  It included artefacts too.  And yes, a book devoted to such things would be great.  Expanded summaries of contents, and covering some books that just have table entries in the core.

The Keeper's Companion also featured places, on Earth and off, which would be a great subject to revisit.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, klecser said:

For me the 40th anniversary is an excuse to do special things. And if you don't view it that way, that's just fine. But I'm not sure why you'd deny anyone a desire to get special things?

I'm not sure I was denying anyone the desire to get anything. If that was the impression I gave, then I apologise for expressing myself poorly.

The thread was intended, I believe, for people to express what they would like to see this year, and for me there had been so much great content for 7e that I'd love to see the momentum continue with something new (cults) covering an element central to many campaigns, alongside an update of a classic (Dreamlands).

If people want anniversary special editions, then more power to 'em!

Edited by StevenGEmsley
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, Runeblade said:

One thing I would really love to have in a mildly updated 7e is an expanded insanities list for more variation.

Agree completely. This could be a great include in a near future supplement.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Runeblade said:

One thing I would really love to have in a mildly updated 7e is an expanded insanities list for more variation.

Sounds like the perfect pitch for a 7e book about Arkham (and others) Asylum, mental Illness, insanities and a scenario fitting for it 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Mike M said:

There's 200 phobias and manias in the Rulebook. You want more?

My read was options for bouts of madness and temporary insanity. There are only ten of each. Yes, we can do whatever we want, but a "bigger table" to roll on is something I consistently see as desired. It probably exists out there somewhere as a fan creation.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Runeblade said:

I don't disagree with having more "Bouts of Madness" or "Temporary Insanity" options but I am curious to know which other updates you would like in the Keeper book.

I wouldn't be against a 8th edition, but I don't really care what it's called. The most important change for me would be the new layout. I find it great and find the old one ugly, I don't like to look at those. I also don't like the way the two core books are set up. I might be in the minority, but I also dislike the 20s, I cannot relate to it. So what I would like is a Core book that is not 20s focused. Either setting-less, or all the settings included at the same amount. But anyway, an update to the new layout alone would make me buy them.

19 minutes ago, greger said:

That's a really good start. I personally wouldn't include "sexual disorder" on any table because there are just too many veil or "touch the X" issues there, especially given that investigators don't have any control over what happens in a bout of madness. As a Keeper I would ignore that result on the table.

One I've been thinking of:

Physiological accident: The Investigator urinates or defecates in their clothes. Penalty die to social encounters until addressed.

I just see my players and other Keepers I talk to wanting more variety that we can just rely on in the moment. 

• Like 1

I’m hoping they will release PDFs of the 1st edition rules with a HQ scan of the world map and The Asylum & Other Tales, Shadows of Yog-Sothoth, and Trail of Tsathogghua adventures and the old Keepers Screen like they teased in the pic. They already have PDFs of Cthulhu Companion and Fragments of Fear up recently which I have bought from their store along with most of the 5/6 edition stuff and anything with a large map (I was disappointed the Tales of the Miskatonic Valley PDF didn’t come with its map of Lovecraft Country, I really want that one). I would also love HQ PDFs of the Kingsport and Escape from Innsmouth books with their maps and the Ramsey Campbell’s Goatswood book.

Edited by oldschooltommy
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, oldschooltommy said:

and the Ramsey Campbell’s Goatswood book.

I just scored a copy of this on The Auction Siteâ„¢ for 30 USD. I checked my usual "Call of Cthulhu RPG" search at exactly the right time!