Clockwork & Chivalry

carandol

• 3 weeks later...

This game sounds great. I love the idea of the setting and I haven't seen a decent big campaign series like that in years. Unfortunately I've only just picked up BRP and really don't want to have to buy the MRQ book as well as C&C. Do you know how similar the two systems are and if there would be any problems converting C&C to BRP?

"Not gods - Englishmen. The next best thing."

If you can deal with an upsidedown cover on your BRP book it should be a cake walk:) The setting is very evocative and I hope to either run it or play using BRP one day. The biggest difference is probably character generation. Also recognize that weapon damage and armor points in MRQ2 are slightly (you might say annoyingly) different. I haven't gotten through the alchemy and clockwork sections so cannot comment on those.

Nice. I do really like the idea of the setting, especially the Alchemy and Clockwork stuff. It reminds me of the idea behind Ars Magica in that what people believed about the world at the time of setting is true, not because they believe it but just because it happens to be how the universe works. I really like that idea and it sounds like it's got a pretty good grounding in real world history and the weird stuff has been woven into that fabric.

Like I said, very nice.

I was worried about it being character gen that would be different to be honest. That and I think MRQ has a heavily modified combat system. Characters are the basic unit of games and I don't want to cock them up before we start play.

I don't want to have to buy MRQ to use C&C because if I did that I wouldn't run BRP. And I don't buy inverted books and then not use them.

Will Clockwork & Chivalry continue under the Wayfarer game system or is there a possibility of a BRP version in the future?

Thanks for the interest :)

We have put this up on our site:

http://www.clockworkandchivalry.co.uk/2011/05/clockwork-chivalry-and-runequest-ii/

So we will be continuing to support the setting. When we have more news, I will post.

Peter Cakebread

• Like 1

Peter Cakebread

>:>Cakebread&WaltonO:)

Purveyors of Fine Imaginings

Buy it. The background is excellent. They've got rules for both Galenic and Paracelsian (is that a word?) medicine for Pete's sake! I'd suggest sticking with BRP character gen and combat. For NPC's you'll have to wing a couple of things like hit points and a couple of skill conversions, but it shouldn't give you any headaches.

Excellent news. My vote is for a BRP version. I will continue to pick up the supplements no matter what system you choose to go with.

Kind words :)

I hope you continue to enjoy the supplements, I have a hunch you will...

Peter Cakebread

Buy it. The background is excellent. They've got rules for both Galenic and Paracelsian (is that a word?) medicine for Pete's sake! I'd suggest sticking with BRP character gen and combat. For NPC's you'll have to wing a couple of things like hit points and a couple of skill conversions, but it shouldn't give you any headaches.

That sounds pretty cool. I think this has just become my next gaming purchase. I'll have to talk to my group about playing though the campaign once we've had a chance to play through my survival horror game.

Peter: I'm glad to hear it's going to continue, even if it doesn't switch to BRP (although that would be perfect). It's just looks likes far too good a setting to wither on the vine because od Mongoose's licensing decisions. For m it looks like proper fantasy, as in a semi-historical setting with fantastic elements thrown in. Unfortunately most games treat fantasy as Tolkien fanfic and think their own take on Orcs and Elves counts as original fantasy. Sory, rant over. I just love fantasy when it's well done (like C&C looks to be) and hate it when it seems like a mod for Middle Earth.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm very interested in the 17th century in general and the English Civil Wars in particular, but I was never too excited about the clockwork angle of C&C. (I am very interested, on the other hand, in 17th century alchemy and magic.) But it sounds like the C&C books have a huge amount of useful setting information, even if I'm not going to use all of the alternate history parts. And there's always the benefit of supporting those fools who spend all their time and effort making RPGs. They deserve our deep concern and sympathy. ;)

I've got quite a few books in my "to buy" queue, and my wife has Detect Husband's Unnecessary Spending at 114%, so I may need to put this on my Xmas list. So many settings, so little time . . .

My avatar is the personal glyph of Siyaj K'ak' a.k.a. "Smoking Frog."

But it sounds like the C&C books have a huge amount of useful setting information, even if I'm not going to use all of the alternate history parts.

Yep, we try to be thorough with our historical research before we start breaking things. (Apropos of nothing, it always amazes me how much of the oddest stuff comes from the real history).

Peter Cakebread

And there's always the benefit of supporting those fools who spend all their time and effort making RPGs. They deserve our deep concern and sympathy. ;)

...and ain't that the truth :D

Peter Cakebread

(Apropos of nothing, it always amazes me how much of the oddest stuff comes from the real history).

Something with which fiction writers are familiar. I think Philip Roth described this as when you write history it just has to be true, but when you write fiction it has to be plausible.

• 2 months later...

Mud, Blood, Alchemy and Clockwork in a 17th Century That Never Was

1645: England has descended into civil war. Prince Rupert and his Alchemist-Cavaliers fight on behalf of their exiled king against the clockwork war machines of Oliver Cromwell and the New Model Army. Between them, a host of political and religious factions struggle for survival.

First launched to critical acclaim as a series of supplements for RuneQuest II (“The best British fantasy setting since WFRP 1st edition” said Newt Newport), Clockwork & Chivalry now returns in a standalone 2nd edition featuring the new Renaissance rules, a D100 open gaming system based on OpenQuest and compatible with 1st edition supplements. Fast, brutal, and geared up to a world of black-powder weapons and political machinations, the new rules will also be the bedrock of a series of RPGs forthcoming from Cakebread & Walton: Purveyors of Fine Imaginings.

Alchemists, diggers, dragons, engineers, mercenaries, puritans, ranters, royalists, satanists, thieves, witches, zombies... which side are you on?

As many of you probably know, Mongoose Publishing will cease to support the RuneQuest II license in the autumn, and this has left us with a big decision to make regarding the future of Clockwork & Chivalry. Giving up on the line was never an option – we were determined to finish the Kingdom & Commonwealth Campaign, and have other ideas we want to develop for the game world. At the same time, we value our autonomy as a small independent games company. The new Renaissance system will be based on OpenQuest and will aim to be as compatible as possible with existing C&C supplements. At the same time, this rule-set, stripped of the C&C background but incorporating some of the rules (such as Righteousness Points and Factions) will be released under an Open Gaming License as a free download. The rules will be aimed squarely at role-playing in the age of black powder weapons. The creation of Renaissance will give Cakebread & Walton a solid rules set for the development of further games in the future, as well as allowing others to use it in their own games under the terms of the OGL.

Once Clockwork & Chivalry 2nd Edition is released, we'll be re-issuing the first 4 parts of the Kingdom & Commonwealth campaign with minor tweaks to fit the new rules, and then the last two books in the campaign, Hobbes: Leviathan and London Calling. We'll also release a small conversion document so that those playing C&C with the existing RuneQuest II Core Rulebook need not change rules to finish the campaign.

C&C2, a 400 page core rulebook including all the rules you need to play as well as all the background in the original worldbook and then some, will be out in December. The other revised volumes and new C&C2 supplements are to follow in 2012. As usual, our games will be distributed by Cubicle 7 Entertainment and will be available from all good game stores!

Peter Cakebread

We're pleased to note that Divers and Sundry, our most recent Clockwork & Chivalry supplement, has been nominated for an Oggie Award by the Organisation of Gamers and Roleplaying Enthusiasts (OGRE) in the Ebook category.

Long Live the Mainspring!

Peter Cakebread

Cakebread and Walton

Peter Cakebread

... Prince Rupert and his Alchemist-Cavaliers fight on behalf of their exiled king against the clockwork war machines of Oliver Cromwell and the New Model Army...

Steampunk English Civil War? This sounds awesome. I know some people in the Sealed Knot who will love this kind of thing too.

River of Heaven - Science Fiction Roleplaying in the 28th Century

http://riverofheaven.d101games.co.uk/

• 2 weeks later...

Divers and Sundry, a sourcebook for Clockwork & Chivalry, has been nominated for an Oggie. It is in the best 2011 Best Game/Ebook category - Anyone can vote so please follow the link and vote for it (so Colin, Ken and I can leap about with glee). :)

http://ogres.wikia.com/wiki/The_Oggies/2011

Peter Cakebread

Edited by doomedpc

Peter Cakebread

• 2 weeks later...

We've just got Gary Buckland's splendiferous cover for Clockwork & Chivalry 2nd Edition. Go and have a drool...

http://www.clockworkandchivalry.co.uk/2011/09/clockwork-chivalry-2nd-ed-cover-revealed/

Edited by doomedpc

Peter Cakebread

Drooling, indeed. A very well done cover, I must say.

A December release for C&C2 will be conveniently placed for Christmas. [rubs hands together] Perhaps it will show up in my stocking instead of the usual lump of coal!

I'm becoming more and more enamored of the idea of having a rule set tweaked for a specific setting and play tested to smooth out the rough spots rather than a one-size-doesn't-quite-fit-any-setting approach. I'm very much looking forward to the chance to use Renaissance for other black-powder settings.

Best wishes on this project. It sounds like C&W are on a very promising path.