Clockwork & Chivalry

carandol

Read through the scenario in S&P #83 and was wondering if that scenario with its premade character could work as a start for the Kingdom & Commonwealth campaign or if they were to high-powered?

You could use those pregens - although you might want to add some additional background connections and amend the flavour text accordingly. They are not too high powered - but the S&P adventure was designed for a convention, so it is fairly lethal. Alternatively, you could just start with the adventure in the corebook, or at the beginning of The Alchemist's Wife. It's a long campaign, so there is plenty of opportunity for Adventurers started from scratch to develop.

If it's not a good start, do you have some pregged characters for the campaign starting in the world book?

No, my apologies - we were originally intending to add some in, but we ran out of room so we didn't provide any. I wonder, would it be something people would like to see? If so we could either make available on our website or in a future S&P - which would you prefer? It won't be very soon though (possibly not in time for your campaign, as we have multiple deadlines looming...). Maybe we could publish some of the Adventurers from one of our playtest groups?

If you do decide to get your players to create their own Adventurers, it is wise to check out the "Adventuring Groups in Clockwork and Chivalry" section on p.55-56 of the core rulebook.

Also, do you have some introduction for the players to read through? A document of maximum 10 pages to get them straight into the setting?

I would get them to read the Introduction - p.4-6 of the core rulebook (and maybe the fictional account of the battle of Naseby that follows). Also get them to browse the appropriate Profession and Faction description that applies to their Adventurer. If you are playing with players who are not that into history, I would emphasise that it's set at the time of the Three Musketeers - there are still some nobles who ride to battle in their full plate armour, but the rank and file are usually poorly armoured, fighting in massed formations armed with pikes or muskets. Think a roughly warhammery tech level.

I hope that helps - and I hope you have fun running the Kingdom and Commonwealth Campaign

Long Live the Mainspring!

Edited by doomedpc

Peter Cakebread

>:>Cakebread&WaltonO:)

Purveyors of Fine Imaginings

No, my apologies - we were originally intending to add some in, but we ran out of room so we didn't provide any. I wonder, would it be something people would like to see? If so we could either make available on our website or in a future S&P - which would you prefer? It won't be very soon though (possibly not in time for your campaign, as we have multiple deadlines looming...). Maybe we could publish some of the Adventurers from one of our playtest groups?

Yes, some characters made for the start of the campaign available from your website would be very nice. My C&C campaign won't be starting this year, as I don't have any of the C&C supplements yet and lots of other stuff to play first, but with the quality shown in S&P and your focus on scenarios and campaigns, I'm very likely to purchase C&C and its full campaign later.

The more detailed the characters and their background history the better. I often find my players have some problems starting play in a new setting with new characters, as the characters are somewhat blank slates without developed personalities and they don't like to change settings. But detailed pregged characters made for a new campaign can fix that in a heartbeat and throw them directly into play. :)

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

What is this steam that you speak of - some devilish trickery or tricky devilishness? The only Righteous steam is that which rises from the furnaces as Godly cogs are struck!!!

You're not an Alchemist are you?

Amazon.ca heretics - blast their eyes - have you tried contacting the good folks at Cubicle 7? Seriously, if it's pre-orders then it's not good enough - the first book has been out for a while now and The Alchemist's Wife hit stores at the start of September. Thou Shalt Not Suffer has been printed (our advance copies arrived at C7 offices today), so while it will still be a while till it gets to shops, it shouldn't be too long until pre-orders go out.

If the problem persists let me know and I will try and find out more :)

Edited by doomedpc

Peter Cakebread

What is this steam that you speak of - some devilish trickery or tricky devilishness? The only Righteous steam is that which rises from the furnaces as Godly cogs are struck!!!

You're not an Alchemist are you?

Amazon.ca heretics - blast their eyes - have you tried contacting the good folks at Cubicle 7? Seriously, if it's pre-orders then it's not good enough - the first book has been out for a while now and The Alchemist's Wife hit stores at the start of September. Thou Shalt Not Suffer has been printed (our advance copies arrived at C7 offices today), so while it will still be a while till it gets to shops, it shouldn't be too long until pre-orders go out.

If the problem persists let me know and I will try and find out more :)

Well I pre-ordered the first two books July 26 and currently amazon.ca says it hasn't been released yet: :?

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/1907204903/

I looked on amazon.com and it is available there. I wonder if it is a pricing issue. My pre-order was $22 (including free shipping) on amazon.ca, and amazon.com has it currently listed at $34.99 + shipping. It is obviously a good deal so that is why I like to order using amazon.ca.

On my preorder of RQ2: Races of Glorantha they told me they couldn't get it a few months later and cancelled my order :(

I use  fantasygrounds.com

I looked on amazon.com and it is available there. I wonder if it is a pricing issue. My pre-order was $22 (including free shipping) on amazon.ca, and amazon.com has it currently listed at $34.99 + shipping. It is obviously a good deal so that is why I like to order using amazon.ca.

On my preorder of RQ2: Races of Glorantha they told me they couldn't get it a few months later and cancelled my order

I'm sorry to hear that. Yes - I guess it is a pricing issue. The Corebook is priced at rrp $34.99 and the available supplements at $24.99. I am having a similar difficulty with the latest Warhammer 4th ed supplement which I ordered from Amazon.uk. Got a note today to say out of stock, but I am guessing it is just not available at the price they quoted. It is annoying if they underquote then can't provide the stock.

As a game designer with a serious game buying habit I understand it isn't an easy time to feed the cravings - I hope Amazon.ca do the right thing.

all the best

Peter Cakebread

Thou Shalt Not Suffer, Volume II of the Kingdom & Commonwealth Campaign, is now available from Cakebread & Walton and Cubicle 7, and will be appearing in shops in the coming weeks.

http://www.clockworkandchivalry.co.uk/2010/10/thou-shalt-not-suffer/

Peter Cakebread

Nice! ;t)

Do you have any plans for a GM screen?

SGL.

;t) Thanks!

GM Screen - Well, at present we have a license to use MRQII, but not reproduce the ruleset. I am pretty sure we could negotiate to get permissions for a GM screen but I guess it will depend on demand. I for one would certainly like to produce a screen.

Long Live The Mainspring!

Peter Cakebread

Our latest supplement for Clockwork & Chivalry, Thou Shalt Not Suffer, is now available as a PDF. The second volume of the Kingdom & Commonwealth campaign, it can also be played as a standalone adventure, and contains extensive background information on Cornwall, as well as two new Professions, a new Faction and new rules and spells for Witchcraft.

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=84791&filters=0_0_0_0&manufacturers_id=54

Long Live The Mainspring!

Peter Cakebread

Man, I must say your setting and campaign have me tempted. I love that you focus on scenarios and campaigns and not loads of "handbooks" and rulebooks. The review of your stuff is VERY good, as are the C&C articles found in S&P. From a drought period where I had to make all scenarios myself, for a dead system, I now have lots to chose from. I've ordered "The Laundry" with its scenario book for BRP, Pavis Rising for MRQ and I'll get the new Sartar books for HQ. Being a glorantha and BRP fan, C&C should fall back in the que, but it certainly tempts me more and more. I might just go for it after my Hârn/Rome/Cthulhu campaign finds a suitable ending. Using drools to power the game of course (not a dead project, just slow!). Keep up the good work Cakebread & Walton! :D

SGL.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

@SGL - Brilliant! Just been putting the finishing touches to Volume three of the Kingdom and Commonwealth campaign, No Man's Land. We do have some other supplements planned, but we love the idea of concentrating on providing a cool campaign and scenarios, because we think (hopefully, if we have got it right) that atmosphere is vital, and that providing some strong storylines is helpful in this regard (and ken and I certainly have enjoyed running games where such material is provided) :)

Thanks for the feedback and encouragement :D

Peter Cakebread

Cakebread&Walton

Peter Cakebread

Hi Folks,

Quick Update -

No Man's Land, the third installment in the Kingdom and Commonwealth Campaign has gone off to our publishers, Cubicle 7.

Not Clockwork & Chivalry related but, we hope you agree, also liable to be full of awesomeness - here is a teaser for another Cakebread & Walton project:

http://thebookofworlds.blogspot.com/2010/10/airship-pirates-by-cakebread-walton.html

...and ne'er fret. The Clockwork & Chivalry setting is going to continue to be very well supported - with Quintessence, Hobbes:Leviathan and London Calling, the remainder of the Kingdom & Commonwealth campaign adventures all due for release in 2011, alongside other planned supplements for the series, there will be no shortage of seventeenth century mayhem :D

Peter Cakebread

• 2 weeks later...

For those of an artistic bent there is currently a competition running on our website -

http://www.clockworkandchivalry.co.uk/2010/11/a-competition-for-those-of-an-artistic-bent/

So if you fancy designing a Clockwork monstrosity/Godly device (depending on your point of view) we would love to hear from you :)

Peter Cakebread

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks,

Quintessence, the fourth volume (crikey, is that the time already?) in the Kingdom and Commonwealth Campaign, for Clockwork and Chivalry, is now available for pre-order. Huzzah!

Be prepared to venture where no gentleman has previously ventured...

http://shop.cubicle7store.com/epages/es113347.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es113347_shop/Products/CB76104

Peter Cakebread

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Folks,

Exciting news - this month’s Clockwork & Chivalry article in Signs & Portents is by veteran RPG writer Colin Chapman (All Flesh Must Be Eaten, A/State, Atlantis, Atomic Highway, Faery's Tale Deluxe, Godlike, Hellas, Hollow Earth Expedition, Iron Kingdoms, No Quarter, Omni System, Talislanta, Unhallowed Metropolis, Waste World, Wild Talents, etc) of Radioactive Ape Designs. It adds two new professions, Highwayman and Ruffian, to the Clockwork & Chivalry setting. Look out for further articles by Colin in future issues of Signs & Portents, when he’ll be taking an extensive look at seventeenth century armour and weapons. S&P #87 can be downloaded for free here:

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/home/detail.php?qsID=1965&qsSeries=

Peter Cakebread

No Man's Land is Out now!

Pdf Version: http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=86522

Hardcopy: http://shop.cubicle7store.com/epages/es113347.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es113347_shop/Products/CB76103

In most of England, an uneasy peace still holds, following the horrific events at Naseby. But in the Debatable Lands, on the outskirts of Birmingham, the conflict continues.

Cavaliers and Roundheads are bogged down in muddy trenches, fighting over every inch of blasted ground. Clockwork death machines grind across the landscape; magickally-created disease miasmas drift on the breeze and settle in the craters left by the incessant cannon barrages. And in the despoiled wastelands round about, rival gangs on stolen Iron Horses fight over scarce resources, obscure points of theology, and access to the Winding Stations that they need to keep their vehicles running.

Somewhere in this bloody chaos, the renegade Clockwork Alchemist, Lady Arabella Blackwood, is up to no good. Can the Adventurers find her before she achieves her nefarious aims?

No Man's Land can be played as a stand-alone adventure, but also forms the third episode of the epic Kingdom & Commonwealth Campaign for Clockwork & Chivalry.

Edited by doomedpc

Peter Cakebread