Ten Reminders - a small personal manifesto

I shared this on Facebook, and I like you lot, so I'll share it here as well. It's a small personal manifesto, growing out of some recent niggles and annoyances. In the Before Times, this'd have been a website post, but I don't have the tools to do that any more. You don't have to read it; you certainly don't have to respond to it. But this sets out where I'm coming from. I hope it's helpful.

There's some nifty discussion in the RuneQuest group on Facebook: link.

Ten Reminders.pdf

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

There will be some heroquesty bits in my forthcoming campaign for RuneQuest, currently code-named Black Spear. Look for it this summer on the Jonstown Compendium.

There's a very nice, formally structured Yelmalian heroquest in Jon Webb's Tradition: Sandheart Volume 3.

Simon Phipp's advice is usually good: the theory is in Secrets of HeroQuesting, with some practical examples in How Humakt Learned to Grieve. While Simon and I don't see eye-to-eye on the joys of playing in SuperRuneQuest munchkin fun land ("Everybody Kills Harrek!"), his narrative and improvisational sense is otherwise sound.

• Like 3
33 minutes ago, Nick Brooke said:

I shared this on Facebook, and I like you lot,

I like you too, more since you provide your manifest (but you gained more points when you provide in french your city tour 😉  of course!)

I like your points (arg I m not sure to understand the end of your heroquest topic, my english role was a failure I think)

thanks sir

• Thanks 1
28 minutes ago, French Desperate WindChild said:

like you too, more since you provide your manifest (but you gained more points when you provide in french your city tour 😉  of course!)

I like your points (arg I m not sure to understand the end of your heroquest topic, my english role was a failure I think)

Thank you for the lovely feedback! I hope you've already left a rating or maybe even a review for our Guide pratique de Glamour over on DriveThruRPG: it's really helpful and motivational when people do that, too. If there are any French hobby groups or forums where it would make sense to spread the word, please do that - sadly, we can't be everywhere, touting our wares in a foreign language.

If you can cut'n'paste the bit of my manifesto that isn't easy to follow, I'll try to talk you through it here. Genuine offer. I really appreciate your comment.

Edited by Nick Brooke

Good stuff, even though I'm partial to playing Malkioni. 

I do like the way RQG requires you to integrate into your local, Gloranthan, environment. And, yeah if you're players aren't into it they should do something else. 

It would be nice to see what else is going on in the rest of the world, and get to run some campaigns and characters, from the East, West & South, before Dragon Pass' history is spelled out in great detail to 1640. That and I want to see if my old Fronela campaign ends up being even a little close to whatever ends up being official. 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Frp said:

Good stuff, even though I'm partial to playing Malkioni. 

I do like the way RQG requires you to integrate into your local, Gloranthan, environment. And, yeah if you're players aren't into it they should do something else. 

It would be nice to see what else is going on in the rest of the world, and get to run some campaigns and characters, from the East, West & South, before Dragon Pass' history is spelled out in great detail to 1640. That and I want to see if my old Fronela campaign ends up being even a little close to whatever ends up being official. 

If you don't have it already, pick up the Guide to Glorantha: that's your best source for the rest of the world. (Scroll down that page for the PDF-only version)

Paul Baker is writing a Kralori Primer to support RuneQuest campaigns in Kralorela. It's dead cheap: $4.00 for more than 200 pages (so far).

Jamie "Trotsky" Revell worked with Greg Stafford in the early noughties on HeroQuestWorldWars stuff set in the Malkioni West. His "non-canonical" books based on that work are the Book of Glorious Joy on Loskalm (from D101 Games, published in 2011, sadly no longer available), and Kingdom of the Flamesword (Seshnela) and Forged in Blood and Snow (Jonatela) which both came out from the Jonstown Compendium last autumn. ($10 each in PDF for 160/140 pages respectively) They're written for QuestWorlds, so there are no RQ (and precious few HQ) mechanics or stats, but they'd be a great place to start.

I'm pulling something on old-school mediaeval Malkioni together for the Jonstown Compendium: watch this space. The illuminations so far are amazing!

If you're waiting for "official" expansions of Fronela, I think you'll have a long wait coming. Better to mash up the bits you like from the Orange Box, the Guide, Trotsky's version, the Tales version, and your own preferences and run a game there before you get too old.

• Like 4
9 hours ago, Nick Brooke said:

If you're waiting for "official" expansions of Fronela, I think you'll have a long wait coming. Better to mash up the bits you like from the Orange Box, the Guide, Trotsky's version, the Tales version, and your own preferences and run a game there before you get too old.

Well, the thing is, I could never equate the rationalist Gloranthan West with medieval Europe. So everything between Genertela: Crucible of the Hero Wars and the Guide, about the West, holds little interest for me. I've read a fair bit of it. I didn't see anything that inspired me. 

8 minutes ago, Frp said:

Well, the thing is, I could never equate the rationalist Gloranthan West with medieval Europe.

Which, thankfully, it is finally moving away from and to a more interesting approach.  Unfortunately, little yet published beyond the Guide to help establish play, though Loskalm may prove to be some intersection of Plato's Republic and Vedic India. 

Some notes here, if you haven't seen them:

• Like 1