Physical human limits and cooperation

BadBurrito

Hi, 

I’m new to CoC so I have a basic question regarding the Physical Human Limits example on page 88 of the Keepers Guide. To be specific it is the second paragraph of this section that eludes me.....

”Luckily Martin (STR 45) is there to help. Cecil’s STR is lowest, so it is subtracted from the rafter’s SIZ, leaving the rafter’s SIZ at 110 (150-40). This is over 90, but less than 100 points above Martin’s STR, so he can attempt a skill roll to move the rafter, requiring an Extreme success. Martin fails the roll.”

Why is an Extreme success req’d? Would it not be 110-45=65 thereby requiring a Hard success? 

Let's see:

Martin (STR 45) wants to move the Raft (SIZ 150). Since the raft SIZ is 100 above Lucky STR (150-45). Lucky automatically fails (no roll needed).

Cecil (STR 40) shows up to help. This help is mechanically represented by substracting the lowest of the two STR (Cecil) from the raft SIZ (150-40=110).

Martin STR does not reduce the SIZ of the raft. Only those assisting do that. However, because of Cecil's help, Martin now needs to roll against SIZ 110 and because that value is less than 100 over his STR (110-45) he can now attempt the roll. The contest will pit his STR 45 vs SIZ 110.

Because Martin is rolling against a value over 90, he needs top achieve an extreme success.

I hope it helps.

So to be clear the person with the lowest STR deducts his STR from the objects SIZ. This new difference (110) is the new SIZ of the object. The maximum the lifter, Cecil in above example, can lift is 100+his STR (45). The SIZ of the object is now 110. Which is over 90, therefore the requirement of Extreme success roll. It is within the range of the lifters total lift of 145 (100+45) so it is within the range of a roll. The wording in the paragraph was very confusing for me. Thanks again for the help!

3 hours ago, BadBurrito said:

So to be clear the person with the lowest STR deducts his STR from the objects SIZ. This new difference (110) is the new SIZ of the object. The maximum the lifter, Cecil in above example, can lift is 100+his STR (45). The SIZ of the object is now 110. Which is over 90, therefore the requirement of Extreme success roll. It is within the range of the lifters total lift of 145 (100+45) so it is within the range of a roll. The wording in the paragraph was very confusing for me. Thanks again for the help!

That's it!