Are ransoms negotiable?

Ladygolem

On 3/3/2021 at 2:17 PM, Bill the barbarian said:

On terra, this was quite common and important hostages would be kept for lengthy periods... up to decades... waiting for the negotiations to conclude, People being people (quite gauche and immune to the effects of shame and bad taste when it comes to money, and additionally with the existence of gods of trade who promote bargaining) I would assume it would have to be the same in Gloranthan lands that have ransoms. 

I can understand why one would want to hold to higher ideals and views of people, especially in a FRP, so I would say if one wished it to be so, simply make it a binding taboo backed by religious decrees and societal relations and have your game be set in a better light than I suggest. Personally, I fear that money sullies noble thoughts or activities when it comes down to it in the end.

I am in complete agreement with Bill.  Ransoms are generally money put aside for the purpose of getting yourself out of trouble well beforehand, and when you say "My ransom is 500L", your enemy has the option of saying "not enough" and killing you, or giving you a bad cut and seeing if you raise your price.  Once a captor accepts a ransom it should be treated as a species of an "oath before the gods".  Ransoms are generally handled by cult authorities also, and they will generally try not to disgrace their deity.  In the case of disgraceful deities like trickster, they are generally not allowed to be part of the negotiations, as ransom is a matter of honor, and people without honor need not apply.

When I GM I generally have 3 groups who handle ransom broking in Prax.  Humakti, Chalana Arroys, and the Morokanth.  Humakti because they are honorable and can lay oaths of parole on their captives.  Chalana Arroys because nobody will give them grief for fear of being tossed from their cult.  Morokanth because they are good at keeping prisoners and have the awful threat of turning people into herd-men.  The Morokanths are definitely the worst, but they get no money for a dead captives, and are very good at ambushing those who escape.  Most ransoming takes place on neutral ground, and generally New Pavis sees ransoms paid weekly.  Pimper's Block is also a popular site for ransom exchanges as those who fail to get their ransom paid can then be sold as slaves, so the ransomer will get paid regardless.