French edition of RuneQuest wins 2021 Graal d'Or Award

MOB

1812591304_RuneQuestDeadcrows).png.e6264d2e8e415b25e59f0d89ae1f1d6c.png

Chaosium congratulates our friends at Studio Deadcrows – their local French edition of RuneQuest: Roleplaying in Glorantha was awarded the 2021 Graal d'Or for 'Best Reissue' (Création française et Rééditions)! 

151182560_3648735885233510_1789255517023184216_o.png.22846e7c190854500e5fdc8b780032f6.png

The Graal d'Or Awards, presented by Groupement Azuréen d'Associations Ludiques, are usually held in person at the Festival International des Jeux de Cannes (International Games Festival) in Cannes, France every spring. This year due to the Covid-19 pandemic the awards were held virtually on March 5. 

Edited by Nick Brooke
  • Like 10

14 hours ago, MOB said:

Chaosium congratulates our friends at Studio Deadcrows – their local French edition of RuneQuest: Roleplaying in Glorantha was awarded the 2021 Graal d'Or for 'Best Reissue' (Création française et Rééditions)! 

Félicitations à nos cousins Français!

3 hours ago, Julian Lord said:

Still think "en Glorantha" makes more sense than "dans Glorantha" --

Indeed. Replace "Glorantha" by "France", "Russie" or "Europe" and the weirdness of the sentence becomes even more obvious.

3 hours ago, Julian Lord said:

but this is a great result, and no doubt this release was helped by material similarity with the old Oriflam RQ3 hardcover.

Material similarity? Both edition are very, very different. Art, focus of the game, quality of the physical products. I don't see a lot of similarities to be honest.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Julian Lord said:

Still think "en Glorantha" makes more sense than "dans Glorantha" -- but this is a great result, and no doubt this release was helped by material similarity with the old Oriflam RQ3 hardcover.

I see "dans Glorantha" as a contraction of "dans le monde de Glorantha".

On 3/6/2021 at 8:34 PM, Julian Lord said:

Still think "en Glorantha" makes more sense than "dans Glorantha" -- 

I disagree, even if I can't provide any grammar rule to support my claim.

To me, "en Glorantha" sounds as strange as if you had said "en Lyon" or "en Paris". The difference I make is that Glorantha, Lyon or Paris are words that do not take an article such as le, la or les in front of it, contrarily to... any real-word country or continent names I can thing of.

Edit : I found one exemple that contradicts me (and others certainly exist) with Haiti. I wound not say "dans Haïti".... 😞

Edited by Mugen

Good time to promote...

A fully functional and flexible adventurer creation tool, which supports both the French language and the changes in the French edition (a few increases to the skill percentages given by occupations).

Adventurers can be translated from English to French, and back again as desired, to help manage international gaming groups. Also with slightly less complete, but still sufficient, support for German and Spanish.

Instructions on use are also available in French:

https://runequest-glorantha.wikia.com/wiki/Création_de_personnage_avec_Google_Sheet_par_Phil_Hibbs

• Thanks 1

• Nick Brooke changed the title to French edition of RuneQuehttps://basicroleplaying.org/topic/13793-french-edition-of-runequest-wins-2021-graal-dor-award/st wins 2021 Graal d'Or Award
On 3/6/2021 at 11:53 PM, DreadDomain said:

Material similarity? Both edition are very, very different. Art, focus of the game, quality of the physical products. I don't see a lot of similarities to be honest.

I mean the hardcover basis, that French RuneQuest players had been used to since the Oriflam days.

On 3/10/2021 at 11:49 PM, Mugen said:

I disagree, even if I can't provide any grammar rule to support my claim.

To me, "en Glorantha" sounds as strange as if you had said "en Lyon" or "en Paris". The difference I make is that Glorantha, Lyon or Paris are words that do not take an article such as le, la or les in front of it, contrarily to... any real-word country or continent names I can thing of.

You use different prepositions for cities, towns, villages ; fiefs, terroirs, areas ; regions ; countries ; continents.

You'd say à Paris, à Londres, à New York ; en Californie but dans le/au Connecticut ; en Amérique, but aux Etats-Unis, en France, au Royaume-Uni ; en Asie, en Europe, en Australie, en Antarctique ; sur Terre.

Sure it's irregular and abounds with exceptions (en Sorbonne rather than à la Sorbonne, though sometimes dans la Sorbonne ; en Arles rather than à Arles), so you do sometimes need to look it up in a dictionary ; but there's still an overall system.

Genertela and Pamaltela being continents, you'd definitely say en Génertela, en Pamaltéla.

So "en Glorantha" sounds better to me ; but as it's a world, then from sur Terre, sur Mars, sur la Lune, maybe "sur Glorantha" ?

Edited by Julian Lord
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Julian Lord said:

So "en Glorantha" sounds better to me ; but as it's a world, then from sur Terre, sur Mars, sur la Lune, maybe "sur Glorantha" ?

I thought about this, but I don't think it's a valid comparison, as we're talking about celestial bodies rather than fantasy worlds.

You wouldn't say "sur le Paradis" or "sur Asgard"' for instance. Unless you're referring to a world where Asgard is a planet, of course.

On 3/15/2021 at 12:42 AM, Mugen said:

You wouldn't say "sur le Paradis" or "sur Asgard"' for instance. Unless you're referring to a world where Asgard is a planet, of course.

This is getting quite French-centric so I find it funny that this is getting discussed in English 😄    But that last sentence is extremely insightful. Just consider:

• Aventures au Paradis
  • Aventures en Enfer
  • Aventures dans les Enfers
  • Aventures a Asgard
  • Aventures en Europe
  • Aventures au Pole Nord
  • Aventures dans le Nord-pas-de-Calais
  • Aventures sur Mars

Frankly... I mean... just take a pick as to which particle would apply to Glorantha 😄 One thing seems clear to me: using "dans Glorantha" sounds weird because I can't find any other precedent of using "dans" without a particle "le" or "la" or similar afterwards. Using "a Glorantha" or "en Glorantha" might have aligned better with how it works for other places.

• Like 1

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

10 hours ago, lordabdul said:

Frankly... I mean... just take a pick as to which particle would apply to Glorantha 😄 One thing seems clear to me: using "dans Glorantha" sounds weird because I can't find any other precedent of using "dans" without a particle "le" or "la" or similar afterwards. Using "a Glorantha" or "en Glorantha" might have aligned better with how it works for other places.

You don't add particles to a name because you need it. You say l'Allemagne, la France, l'Angleterre, and Londres, Paris, Berlin or Haïti, but not le Londres, le Patis, le Berlin or l'Haïti. It seems most names with an article were country names, and the only exception I could find was Haiti. Some town names have articles : Le Havre, Le Crotoy, etc.

For instance, there's a movie named "Dans Paris", and not "Dans (le/la) Paris ", and it doesn't sound weird at all. Saying "je vis dans Paris" is not weird either. Although one could consider that it's easy to understand the concept of living inside a city but it can't apply to a whole fabtasy world.

Edited by Mugen

57 minutes ago, Mugen said:

You don't add particles to a name because you need it. You say l'Allemagne, la France, l'Angleterre, and Londres, Paris, Berlin or Haïti, but not le Londres, le Patis, le Berlin or l'Haïti. It seems most names with an article were country names, and the only exception I could find was Haiti. Some town names have articles : Le Havre, Le Crotoy, etc.

For instance, there's a movie named "Dans Paris", and not "Dans (le/la) Paris ", and it doesn't sound weird at all. Saying "je vis dans Paris" is not weird either. Although one could consider that it's easy to understand the concept of living inside a city but it can't apply to a whole fabtasy world.

If you all want to have a discussion about your preferred use of articles and particles in the French language, please create a new thread.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Jeff said:

If you all want to have a discussion about your preferred use of articles and particles in the French language, please create a new thread.

Alternatively the French RuneQuest Glorantha Discord: https://discord.gg/6GFBdC8V

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

• Nick Brooke changed the title to French edition of RuneQuest wins 2021 Graal d'Or Award