air beast always with wings?

On 3/10/2021 at 12:37 AM, French Desperate WindChild said:

Yes I m also in this kind of way, but we have exception (or not) in bestiary

windchildren (except french), skybull, thunder brothers...

maybe wings are for "old" air beings  from the sky (those fallen angels who followed morningstar oups Umath)

and no wings for  "new" air beings  from the water (those vaporous who followed Heler)

maybe elementals are from another process, only (or very very) based on their primary rune, so no space to have a complex form, with arms, head, legs and... wing

I think we are largely in agreement. 🙂

The only thing I can think to add is that maybe the colour of the wings is different?  White/Grey for Air Rune.  Yellow/Gold/Brown/Orange for Fire Rune?  I bet that rule doesn't work either.

• Like 1

On 3/9/2021 at 5:03 PM, David Scott said:

Lions are rare outside the Western Reaches and Tanisor (RQG Bestiary page 150).

And Carmanian lions (in the Western Reaches) are a different sub-species, they have dark manes. 
The ones in Tanisor will be connected to the ancient Pendali probably. I think this means they will basically be the same as the Basmoli lions. 

22 minutes ago, Cassius said:

There are Mountain Lions in Dragon Pass according to Sartar Companion (Encounter 40a). The text states they cannot roar and they are amazing leapers !

Mountain Lion is another word for cougar (puma concolor), a very different breed of cat than panthera leo. Like cheetahs, cougars have closer relations to house cats than to the majority of the large felines of the genus Panthera (lion, tiger, leopard, jaguar, etc.).

In Gloranthan terms, cougars are not descended from Basmol. Alynxes may be closer relatives, although there doesn't appear to be a separate feline ancestor other than Fralar, the Hykimi god of carnivores whose descendants include bears and dogs and all the other side lines like mustelidae.

It isn't quite clear when Gloranthan taxonomy introduces a common ancestor of a subgroup. Bears and antlered deer have such a shared ancestor as an intermediate step, but the Hykimi ancestors of alynxes, bobcats and lions are as close to one another as they are to the ancestors of weasles, otters, badgers, or hyenas.

• Thanks 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis