Donations for Rune Spell Casting - 50L per RP?

Arcadiagt5

I've been looking through the RQG, RBoM, and Well of Daliath but I can't seem to find the bit that covers hiring the casting of a rune spell. 

e.g. Cure All Disease and/or Restore Health*

I seem to recall seeing... somewhere... that a donation of 50L per rune point, doubled for one use spells, is the appropriate fee. But I can't find it. Help, please?

*Yes, actually, two of my players in different campaigns met a Wraith and/or contracted Creeping Chills. Why do you ask?

• Like 1

RPG player's rulebook page 406:

A temple will usually cast cult magic (such as Healing magic
or special Rune spells) on its members, but typically expects
to receive a sacrifice from the beneficiary equal to 20 L
per Rune point expended. One-use spells cost ten times
this amount. If the caster must spend magic points, the
beneficiary must spend an additional 1 L per point spent.
The Chalana Arroy cult heals all who come to their temple,
based on available resources. They never ask for payment.
However, it is a custom enforced by the gods themselves that
if a character is saved from disease or poison or maiming or
death by the actions of a healer, he immediately will give the
healer’s temple an appropriately generous gift or percentage
of the person’s income for the next year [...]

I just paste the start of the "Casting Spells" section, you may want to read the whole section. So, it depends on the income of the player. Getting back characteristic points is hard, so I would make it also a function of the points restored. Maybe Points lost X income per season, so that restoring five points would cost the full year's income, 200L for a noble. Perhaps a discount if the player is from an associate cult. It also depends on their level, as stated a bit later in the section.

Rune levels of friendly cults will have their debts paid by their cult, out of their own payments into that cult.

• Thanks 2

14 hours ago, Arcadiagt5 said:

I seem to recall seeing... somewhere... that a donation of 50L per rune point, doubled for one use spells, is the appropriate fee. But I can't find it. Help, please?

*Yes, actually, two of my players in different campaigns met a Wraith and/or contracted Creeping Chills.

If they suffered the loss in service of their community, then the community should step up.

• Like 3

On 3/8/2021 at 7:07 PM, resurrected duck said:

RPG player's rulebook page 406:

I just paste the start of the "Casting Spells" section, you may want to read the whole section. So, it depends on the income of the player. Getting back characteristic points is hard, so I would make it also a function of the points restored. Maybe Points lost X income per season, so that restoring five points would cost the full year's income, 200L for a noble. Perhaps a discount if the player is from an associate cult. It also depends on their level, as stated a bit later in the section.

Rune levels of friendly cults will have their debts paid by their cult, out of their own payments into that cult.

Thank you! Because of course it wasn't in the Magic or Cults section. 

13 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

If they suffered the loss in service of their community, then the community should step up.

That may well happen in at least one case. Especially if the community is expecting the character to undertake a particular mission before the lost INT recovers naturally. 

48 minutes ago, Arcadiagt5 said:

Thank you! Because of course it wasn't in the Magic or Cults section. 

Yes, the information is a bit hidden. I remembered that there was something special about Chalana Arroy, so I headed to the cults section without success. I found the information by searching the pdf for all occurrences of the string chalana arroy.

• Like 1

Amusing update: one player in one game had Restore Health cast on him more or less at Queen Leika's orders (he was about to be sent on a mission and still being 6 points of INT down was rather noticeable). 

Player in the other game, well, I had her roll a couple of Loyalties to see if the Tribe/Clan would stump up for it. Fumbles. Multiple. Queen Leika put in some, but not really enough, but the character dove deep into her own reserves for donations to the Chalana Arroy priestesses. 

So, despite some nasty and unfounded rumours floating about, at least she is popular with the priestesses and likely to be at the front of the line the next time she needs help. 

• Haha 1

On 3/16/2021 at 3:53 PM, Arcadiagt5 said:

Amusing update: one player in one game had Restore Health cast on him more or less at Queen Leika's orders (he was about to be sent on a mission and still being 6 points of INT down was rather noticeable). 

Player in the other game, well, I had her roll a couple of Loyalties to see if the Tribe/Clan would stump up for it. Fumbles. Multiple. Queen Leika put in some, but not really enough, but the character dove deep into her own reserves for donations to the Chalana Arroy priestesses. 

So, despite some nasty and unfounded rumours floating about, at least she is popular with the priestesses and likely to be at the front of the line the next time she needs help. 

What was starting INT?

I love multiple (and well-timed) Fumbles. 

20 hours ago, Shiningbrow said:

What was starting INT?

I love multiple (and well-timed) Fumbles. 

18. The character in question had an encounter with a powerful Wraith and lost 12 in one hit. That left him befuddled, and since the Wraith had just been hit by a well timed Multimissile salvo (the original arrow isn’t magical, but the additional ones are), the wraith decided to express her displeasure at the archer. Only to be intercepted by a magical iron spear on the way over...

And, yes, the fumbles in the other game were entertaining. 

Edited by Arcadiagt5