License alternatives for 3rd party D100 supplements

RosenMcStern

But, assuming we don't want to make any money on it, wouldn't a GPL be better than OGL? As I understand it, derivatives of a GPL are automatically GPL too (so no creeping protectionism later, under the guise of IP).

Not necessarily. It all depends on who you wish to extend the material to.

The better question is, what do hope to do by releasing a core set of rules

out into the open?

As hard as I try to find a valid reasoning to use the GPL as a model (and I have

started and deleted several responses that try already), it all comes back to

who is the intended target for the open core rules, and what is the end goal?

I am guessing the goal is to get developers and publishers to use the system,

put out quality material in support of it, with the hopes of attracting an

audience/community large enough to justify 3rd party support, and return

derivative rules back into the core.

I think you'll find that the developers and publishers do expect to make some

sort of money to support their involvement. As such, they may be less inclined

to use the GPL and risk losing what they might consider IP (or, in more general

terms, losing control over what makes their product unique and/or marketable).

Hence, an OGL type license, because it does provide some of those protections.

Ian

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But they certainly can't call any game "RuinQuest" - that name's reserved for my upcoming BRP-clone RPG... ;)

I think I used the term once of twice on the MRQ forums a few years back. My nastiest comment on MRQ was probably when I counted the number of authors listed, got 7, and made a reference to the "Seven Mothers".

Just how Triff managed to get banned escapes me.

Or RuneQuetzal, reserved for my South American game.

:lol::lol::lol:

Considering my handle, and that I've been accused us using the name of some Aztec deity, am I in there?

Maybe I'll do a WWII RPG and name it RhineQuest?:P

Edited by Atgxtg

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

Or RuneQuetzal, reserved for my South American game. :D

Nah, that sounds much more like the niberliberthingymebob. Sigurd, dragons, dwarves, cursed treasure hoards all that stuff.

Ah, obviously it'll be multi-genre WWII/Fantasy: Panzers & Dragons. ;)

Put me down for a review copy of both of them, eh guys? :)

Sadly, I doubt mine'll ever get written. It's too entertaining here...

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

Not necessarily. It all depends on who you wish to extend the material to.

The better question is, what do hope to do by releasing a core set of rules

out into the open?

As hard as I try to find a valid reasoning to use the GPL as a model (and I have

started and deleted several responses that try already), it all comes back to

who is the intended target for the open core rules, and what is the end goal?

I am guessing the goal is to get developers and publishers to use the system,

put out quality material in support of it, with the hopes of attracting an

audience/community large enough to justify 3rd party support, and return

derivative rules back into the core.

I think you'll find that the developers and publishers do expect to make some

sort of money to support their involvement. As such, they may be less inclined

to use the GPL and risk losing what they might consider IP (or, in more general

terms, losing control over what makes their product unique and/or marketable).

Hence, an OGL type license, because it does provide some of those protections.

Ian

Wow, a refreshingly sensible answer! Thank you, your serious thought is appreciated. You have helped my understanding of this topic, and maybe others'.

Edited by frogspawner
Include previous quote, for clarity ('cos with the attention span of some around here, they need it!)

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

Ah, obviously it'll be multi-genre WWII/Fantasy: Panzers & Dragons. ;)

Put me down for a review copy of both of them, eh guys? :)

Sadly, I doubt mine'll ever get written. It's too entertaining here...

Panzer's & Dragons? You should see my (wait I a sec. I've got to put up Protection and Countermagic) Napoleonic RPG, Donjons & Dragoons. :D

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

...I've got to put up Protection and Countermagic...

Ah, you've spoiled it - now we know you're only joking...

Vile has linked this thread to the MRQ SRD discussion on the mongoose forums (I wonder if it was a wise idea, as that discussion is more official and this thread if full of IANAL and brainstorming), and asked for a release of MRQ2 as OGL. I suggest all interested parties to debate the point with Matt Sprange there rather than brainstorm it here.

It is possibly a shame, but Alephtar Games is no longer among the interested parties.

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

Vile has linked this thread to the MRQ SRD discussion on the mongoose forums (I wonder if it was a wise idea, as that discussion is more official and this thread if full of IANAL and brainstorming), and asked for a release of MRQ2 as OGL. I suggest all interested parties to debate the point with Matt Sprange there rather than brainstorm it here.

It is possibly a shame, but Alephtar Games is no longer among the interested parties.

So you are saying it is your fault that there is no MRQ SRD? :D

Help kill a Trollkin here.

I missed this: What is Crusaders of the Amber Coast? The schedule says it's for BRP, but I can't find a mention of it here in the upcoming section.

Thalaba

"Tell me what you found, not what you lost" Mesopotamian proverb

There is a very logical explanation for it not being in the upcoming section (yet) despite the fact it has been in playtest for a long time. Can't you imagine it?

I can imagine umpteen explanations, but I wan't really asking about why it wasn't there - merely what it was....

I just got the definitive ok for it by Dustin, I will send the blurb to Trif tomorrow, along with the cover.

...which I can happily wait until tomorrow to learn. I know I've heard mention of the title before. It's probably the officially re-named Interplanetary.

I can imagine umpteen explanations, but I wan't really asking about why it wasn't there - merely what it was....

...which I can happily wait until tomorrow to learn. I know I've heard mention of the title before. It's probably the officially re-named Interplanetary.

I think it's the Teutonic Crusade supplement for Stupor Mundi that was mentioned a while back. As Alephtar games isn't going down the MRQ route following the recent changes I suspect it's now being ported over to BRP

I seem to recall Amber was a big export for the Baltic coast region at one time.

Ah yes, that sounds right. I didn't know the knights crusaded in the baltic, though.

I would definitely be interesting in seeing Stupor Mundi as a BRP product. I have good friends who live in Swabia and have visited Hohentwiel and other such castles. Interesting place and period.

Ah yes, that sounds right. I didn't know the knights crusaded in the baltic, though.

I would definitely be interesting in seeing Stupor Mundi as a BRP product. I have good friends who live in Swabia and have visited Hohentwiel and other such castles. Interesting place and period.

Yeah, the Teutonic Knights essentially laid the groundwork that would later become Prussia, Poland, and the Baltic States.

SDLeary