question about reusing custom rules for personal shared ruleset

I am working a Master of Orion ruleset. Nothing commercial, just being a word document that I will use to arbiter my own game....
However I would also like to share the resulting Word document publicly on this very website! _^ 

My question is about some rule from other game I am reusing.
Obviously lot of rule are used everywhere and it is apparent (I Think...) that it is no biggie...

However, looking for a vehicle rules... (car, motorbike, etc...) I only find some quick and convenient one in "Luther Arkwright", is that a problem if I put plagiarize custom version of it in my publicly available word document?

20 hours ago, Lloyd Dupont said:

However, looking for a vehicle rules... (car, motorbike, etc...) I only find some quick and convenient one in "Luther Arkwright", is that a problem if I put plagiarize custom version of it in my publicly available word document?

You are better off asking Loz Whittaker or Pete Nash for permission.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

On 3/9/2021 at 6:39 AM, Lloyd Dupont said:

I am working a Master of Orion ruleset. Nothing commercial, just being a word document that I will use to arbiter my own game....
However I would also like to share the resulting Word document publicly on this very website! _^ 

My question is about some rule from other game I am reusing.
Obviously lot of rule are used everywhere and it is apparent (I Think...) that it is no biggie...

Yes, it's a potential problem.

Even if you're creating something as a free resource that you want to make public, you need to seek permission if you're looking to reuse text from a published work, because that work is subject to copyright. All our books carry a clear statement in this regard: "This book may not be reproduced on whole or in part by any means without permission from The Design Mechanism, except for purposes of illustration, discussion and game play."

Where the Luther Arkwright vehicle rules are concerned, we wouldn't grant permission for you to lift them. The main reason is because we already have the Mythras Gateway license that is used by 3rd party creators to produce their own Mythras-compatible products. There are some conditions in the Gateway license, and granting permission for you to replicate about 6 or 7 pages of the vehicle rules would go against those conditions, basically calling the whole license into question.

The Design Mechanism: Publishers of Mythras

DM logo Freeforums Icon.png

• 4 weeks later...

Also -- at least potentially -- MoO may already be a licensed property.  I see Catalyst had the "tabletop game" license a few years ago; I don't know if that included RPG's (I only saw a card game), but they also do/did RPGs so the license may be included.

Notwithstanding that you -- personally -- are not selling this product, if there's an existing RPG license then such a project probably doesn't belong on an "official" site.  I'm pretty sure that Chaosium wouldn't care to see someone use BRPC to distribute (for example) an explicitly-Halo or -CoD (two popular FPS-style videogames) version of Chaosium games.

On the other hand... maybe the Catalyst license has reverted, or never covered RPGs at all... and YOU can go pitch your project and GET the MoO license!  🙂

C'es ne pas un .sig