matrix rune spell errata

resurrected duck

I am confused by the errata concerning Rune spells in matrices. From the Well of Daliath page, chapter 14, matrix creation - Matrix Creation (page 334) – Rune Magic Matrices entry. It says

The matrix’s virtue is that it allows someone without the spell to cast it using their POWx5 chance

and then it says

The user of a Rune spell matrix has a chance of casting that spell equal to their POW×5.

Rune Magic Matrices, page 335

Is this a mistake and should the character use the correct Rune percentage instead?

Yes, that should be the Rune’s chance. 

I don't get it. It seems that there is a contradiction here. Any hint?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, resurrected duck said:

I assume it's an error in the Q&A. The Red Book of Magic (p64) also mentions POWx5 for both Rune and Spirit spells.

Edited by lordabdul
  • Like 1

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

46 minutes ago, David Scott said:

I will clarify it on WOD later. I would allow the maker to use their rune value as they have the spell as well. Everyone else (without the spell) their POWx5. 

I don't know if it is a good idea or not, but ... may I suggest to "prove" the relevance of using pow and not rune ("how weird" was my first feeling about not using rune in all cases)

for example :

- when the matrix is made, someone casts the spell with its rune %

- when the matrix is used, the powx5 roll is most to see as the "trigger" than the "cast" (already done in fact)

- but of course, some will then debate that the level of success is always the same (the step 1) and other disagree, ... how hard is creating rules 😉

some background explanation in short, just to avoid the "why"

1 hour ago, David Scott said:

I will clarify it on WOD later. I would allow the maker to use their rune value as they have the spell as well. Everyone else (without the spell) their POWx5. 

Be careful: This is only true for Rune spells. You can know a Spirit spell, enchant a matrix with said spell, and then forget it to allow for learning a new one.

19 hours ago, resurrected duck said:

I am confused by the errata concerning Rune spells in matrices. From the Well of Daliath page, chapter 14, matrix creation - Matrix Creation (page 334) – Rune Magic Matrices entry. It says

The matrix’s virtue is that it allows someone without the spell to cast it using their POWx5 chance

and then it says

The user of a Rune spell matrix has a chance of casting that spell equal to their POW×5.

Rune Magic Matrices, page 335

Is this a mistake and should the character use the correct Rune percentage instead?

Yes, that should be the Rune’s chance. 

Corrected

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 5 months later...

I have just read this thread and I have some questions:

OK, so a Shield-4 matrix allows you to cast a Shield up to 4 points in strength, but you need to spend your own Rune points to cast it.

So can the spent Rune points be from any cult? Or only from cults that could obtain that Rune spell by being associated with the god that provides it?

For example, could a Kyger Litor initiate use a Lightning-3 matrix to cast a Lightning-3 by spending 3 Kyger Litor Rune points?

Could a Kyger Litor initiate use a matrix with a bound Orlanth cult spirit with Rune points and the Rune spell Lightning order the spirit to cast Lightning for her?

Read my Runeblog about RuneQuest and Glorantha at: http://elruneblog.blogspot.com.es/

4 hours ago, Runeblogger said:

I have just read this thread and I have some questions:

OK, so a Shield-4 matrix allows you to cast a Shield up to 4 points in strength, but you need to spend your own Rune points to cast it.

CMIIW but you don't use RP to cast a spell with a matrix. The matrix has the spell stored in it, you roll POWx5 to cast it, and that empties the matrix (you may be able to use part of the capacity).

You then need to re-fill the matrix at a worship ceremony, and as I understand it it has to be the deity that granted the spell. So if an Orlanthi makes a Shield matrix, then it has to be an Orlanth worship ceremony to re-fill it. This restriction may only be for cult special spells, e.g. Heal Body at an Ernalda ceremony. More common spells might be re-fillable anywhere that the spell is available. I'd probably play it that way even if that isn't official.

6 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

CMIIW but you don't use RP to cast a spell with a matrix. The matrix has the spell stored in it, you roll POWx5 to cast it, and that empties the matrix (you may be able to use part of the capacity).

That's my understanding yes. So basically, a Rune-spell matrix is like a one-time-use Spirit-spell matrix, more or less.

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

13 hours ago, Runeblogger said:

No. 

So can the spent Rune points be from any cult? Or only from cults that could obtain that Rune spell by being associated with the god that provides it?

None needed, to refill return it to the appropriate temple for a worship ceremony.

For example, could a Kyger Litor initiate use a Lightning-3 matrix to cast a Lightning-3

Yes. However this is why conditions exists - Only usable by an Orlanth initiate would be a no brainer here.

by spending 3 Kyger Litor Rune points?

No

Could a Kyger Litor initiate use a matrix with a bound Orlanth cult spirit with Rune points and the Rune spell Lightning order the spirit to cast Lightning for her?

That's a complex item if it could even exist. Command cult spirit. Orlanth cult spirit. Knows Lightning...

For MGF, I'd say each part of this needs a POWx5, just so when it goes wrong the spirit gets to act independently and zap the user.

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/