I am confused by the errata concerning Rune spells in matrices. From the Well of Daliath page, chapter 14, matrix creation - Matrix Creation (page 334) – Rune Magic Matrices entry. It says

The matrix’s virtue is that it allows someone without the spell to cast it using their POWx5 chance

and then it says

The user of a Rune spell matrix has a chance of casting that spell equal to their POW×5.

Rune Magic Matrices, page 335

Is this a mistake and should the character use the correct Rune percentage instead?

Yes, that should be the Rune’s chance. 

I don't get it. It seems that there is a contradiction here. Any hint?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, resurrected duck said:

I assume it's an error in the Q&A. The Red Book of Magic (p64) also mentions POWx5 for both Rune and Spirit spells.

Edited by lordabdul
46 minutes ago, David Scott said:

I will clarify it on WOD later. I would allow the maker to use their rune value as they have the spell as well. Everyone else (without the spell) their POWx5. 

I don't know if it is a good idea or not, but ... may I suggest to "prove" the relevance of using pow and not rune ("how weird" was my first feeling about not using rune in all cases)

for example :

- when the matrix is made, someone casts the spell with its rune %

- when the matrix is used, the powx5 roll is most to see as the "trigger" than the "cast" (already done in fact)

- but of course, some will then debate that the level of success is always the same (the step 1) and other disagree, ... how hard is creating rules 😉

some background explanation in short, just to avoid the "why"

1 hour ago, David Scott said:

I will clarify it on WOD later. I would allow the maker to use their rune value as they have the spell as well. Everyone else (without the spell) their POWx5. 

Be careful: This is only true for Rune spells. You can know a Spirit spell, enchant a matrix with said spell, and then forget it to allow for learning a new one.

19 hours ago, resurrected duck said:

I am confused by the errata concerning Rune spells in matrices. From the Well of Daliath page, chapter 14, matrix creation - Matrix Creation (page 334) – Rune Magic Matrices entry. It says

The matrix’s virtue is that it allows someone without the spell to cast it using their POWx5 chance

and then it says

The user of a Rune spell matrix has a chance of casting that spell equal to their POW×5.

Rune Magic Matrices, page 335

Is this a mistake and should the character use the correct Rune percentage instead?

Yes, that should be the Rune’s chance. 

Corrected

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2