Runequest classic scenarii

resurrected duck

8 minutes ago, resurrected duck said:

Hence my question: what is the best reedited scenario for RQ2 in your opinion?

Just checking your question and see you are asking about reedited scenarios. If I understand your question correctly I would have to say there are no reedited scenarios. But on the chance that I do not get what you are saying the best RQ scenario for beginners is Apple Lane. Note the characters created in RQ G are substantially more powerful than  RQ 2 characters, so you will have to edit to boost the NPCs to suit your tables needs. 

• Like 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

13 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

you will have to edit to boost the NPCs to suit your tables needs. 

They would have to be edited. Just giving all initiate NPC a rune pool and runes will take care of some things, but you will now have to consider that they will all be a lot more willing to use Divine magic and the abilities that opens up for them. Remember that most will now have access to All common divine and at least one special divine spell.

16 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Just checking your question and see you are asking about reedited scenarios. If I understand your question correctly I would have to say there are no reedited scenarios.

I mean these pdfs from Runequest classic on the chaosium site: Borderlands, Griffin Mountain, Snake Pipe Hollow.... Sorry if I was not clear.

6 minutes ago, Godlearner said:

They would have to be edited. Just giving all initiate NPC a rune pool and runes will take care of some things, but you will now have to consider that they will all be a lot more willing to use Divine magic and the abilities that opens up for them.

Ah, indeed, I should have thought of it. Any other adjustments needed?

38 minutes ago, resurrected duck said:

Hence my question: what is the best reedited scenario for RQ2 in your opinion? What is the best one for a party of beginning players?

Borderlands works very well for beginning players.  As noted above, it's set in 1615-6, so you'd need to adjust character background creation (there's a nice, and free, Jonstown Compendium supplement for Early History Background to help with this).  Or, use in the current timeframe, but make the employer someone friendly to Argrath.

Snakepipe Hollow works well in any timeframe, but it is tough.  Suggest it be a later expedition.

Griffin Mountain works fine - it's a sandbox design for beginning players.  It, too, is nominally set in 1616, so you might need to tweak leadership in Elkoi if you run in RQG timeframe, but long treks across the wilds don't need to worry much about timeframe.

Trollpak is also a good choice, and nothing particular to worry about from timeframe perspective.  But provides a lot of insight in interacting with a completely different, and very well detailed species.

Both Borderlands and Griffin Mountain are good choices, and Apple Lane is a classic.  My preference is for Griffin Mountain, as its sandbox nature gives you a lot of freedom for undirected adventuring and just going out to explore to see what you come across.  Borderlands is a bit more directed - a specific series of scenarios leading to a specific end (and a way to transition from Borderlands into Griffin Mountain).  So a lot of the choice depends on your own personal style of GMing.

• Like 1

Borderlands without a doubt, but you could start with Apple Lane as a taster. Move on to Griffin Mountain after Borderlands, this is a sandbox though. Although some say easily compatible there may be a bit of work converting to RQG(Augments, Rune magic and stronger beginning PCs). You could still just play RQ classic with no conversion at all!