Balazar Boogaloo

GMKen

Hmm, I may have bitten off more than I can readily chew...

I’ve noted in prior threads that I am seriously considering putting together a publication for the Jonstown Compendium set in Balazar/Elder Wilds.  Since I’ve got the day off I thought I’d sit down and figure out exactly what I’ve got so far.

Table of Contents

Adventures

1) Tomb of the Unknown Warrior (1st Age crypt crawl)
   2) Kenmak’s Aerie (Wings of Trilus) 

3) The Naiad’s Pool (rescue the Naiad from chaos)

4) Tusken Raiders (slaver raid)

5) Elf Sea Excursions

-Terrak’s Villa (abandoned pleasure palace on island)

-Seeking a Seed (boat tree seed in sunken elf boat)

-Concrete Canoe (Dwarven boathouse)

-Water Wyrm Hunt

-A Case of the Crabs (fishing village menaced)

6) Just Another Initiation Ritual (just another initiation ritual)

7) Le Pacte des Broos (Lunars and chaos up to no good, as usual...)

8 ) One of Our Shepherds Is Missing (2nd Age Troll warbase)

9) Den of the Cave Bear (ornery bear making trouble)

Heroquest

Djonni & the Golden Appleseed

Balazaring Booty (a/k/a Plunder)

Terrain Encounters (for hex crawling)

NPCs

Eugene Dypknurd - Lhankor Mhy in over his head

Lancelot Goodthrust - Lunar chad

Penelope Peach Pureheart - damsel perpetually in distress

Right now I’m in the long slog of hand-rolling the NPCs.  Lots and lots of NPCs, and monsters.  But it is kind of fun.  And pondering what kind of art to include.  I do know what I want the cover to look like, and already have my first piece of art in hand.

This is probably going to take a wee bit longer than I expected, though...

• Like 6

This sounds great, I think RQG can't get enough scenarios. Maybe publish a scenario at a time and see where it leads. From what your scenarios sound like I'd be interested. I think there's enough clan initiation type stuff around though, but that's my opinion!

On 3/12/2021 at 4:52 PM, GMKen said:

Right now I’m in the long slog of hand-rolling the NPCs.

If it helps I've a *lot* of pre generated stat blocks for NPCs monsters, available on down load.

They're quick to generate (Typically the data files that controls the how the NPC is generated typically takes about an hour to put together, and then you can have as many of whatever as you want).  So if you need anything specific, drop me a line.

https://basicroleplaying.org/files/file/851-npc-squads-txt-v14zip-npc-squads-v14pdf/

Thanks for the heads up.  I have thought about using automatic generators for the NPCs, but want to hand-roll things for the moment.  It just feels more personal.  Plus I haven’t figured out which Stat Block format to use.  I’m thinking more Fangs or Foes than, say, Pegasus Plateau.  Plus, is it RQ2 format?

Reminds me of an old article in White Dwarf with a short program for the Apple for character generation.  A whopping 18K in size at a time when most PCs topped out at 16K memory.  Sigh, good times...

I do agree with Eddy - the more adventures the better.  And yeah, there are many initiation rituals out there to choose from.  I’m structuring mine more as a weeklong Boy Scout Jamboree where they are exercising various skills appropriate to the Balazaring lifestyle, learning clan and tribe lore around the campfire, maybe a visit to the spirit plane in the sweat lodge, that sort of thing.  So, lots of skill experience rolls.

I have thought about posting a couple in the Upload section for feedback, but haven’t gotten that far along yet.  Have to be careful about what I give away...

7 hours ago, GMKen said:

Thanks for the heads up.  I have thought about using automatic generators for the NPCs, but want to hand-roll things for the moment.  It just feels more personal.  Plus I haven’t figured out which Stat Block format to use.  I’m thinking more Fangs or Foes than, say, Pegasus Plateau.  Plus, is it RQ2 format?

If I may make a suggestion :

do not randomize ( generate app or dice roll) for npcs : put what you want depending on the pc and the danger the npc should be

you will save time (what about a rolled npc too powerful , or not engouh ?) and see only the stats you need

On 3/19/2021 at 10:46 AM, French Desperate WindChild said:

If I may make a suggestion :

do not randomize ( generate app or dice roll) for npcs : put what you want depending on the pc and the danger the npc should be

you will save time (what about a rolled npc too powerful , or not engouh ?) and see only the stats you need

I agree. In fact, I'd say that 95% of NPC - all but star NPCs - can be boiled down to maybe six stat sets if you allow 'low, average, high' values for physical and magical characteristics, and then maybe assigning 25 or 50 or 75 or 95% in chosen weapon skills and adding spells to suit.

PCs will neither or care trollkin 7 has an INT of 3 and a CON of 12, but trollkin 3 has INT 10 and CON 2...

• Like 1