First Use of RQ / BRP?

p_clapham

So what was your first game you ran or played in using the RQ / BRP system?

Mine was eight years ago when I was working the Fish Ladder with another Ecology student. There was lots of down time so using the blue box Runequest set, I ran a Nine Princes in Amber game.

I picked up RQ2 back in the early 80s. I converted my Gamma World campaign over to it and it was awesome. It's kind of funny because a lot of things that Chaosium came up with for Hawkmoon, I had done similar with my conversion just a few years earlier.

I remember taking a RQ character sheet and literally cutting and pasting bits and pieces on it to make it a Gamma World sheet, then running to the drug store to make copies. Life is so much easier now.

Rod

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

"D100 - Exactly 5 times better than D20"

27 Years ago (that seems too long ago to be possible).

RQ2. I remember one of the group poked fun at some centaurs who then slaughtered half the party while the rest ran and hid.

Running through the long grass towards the forest, being chased by centaurs with lances.

It was a bit like the scene from Jurassic Park II where the velocoraptors take out the people in the grass!

Call of Cthulhu 4th edition (why they even call them editions is a question for the ages) in 1991. About six months after we started playing D&D. I searched for RQ3 for a while before actually tracking it down in early '92. People under 25 do not understand how the secondary market worked prior to ebay. While on the one hand, when you found a score, it was always a big one, but there were long, protracted droughts where (unless you had the capability of traveling long distances or the luxury of living in a major population center) you couldn't find anything. Sometimes I wonder if that's why these days I collect a lot of stuff from that era that I may never actually use...

121/420

Mine was Stoombringer (1st Edition), back around 1981-ish.

I had been playing AD&D for a few months and was dissatisfied with a lot of things. I picked up Stormbringer because I was an Elric fan. I was aware that the people who printed Strombringer had also printed RuneQuest, and that RQ was the parent system with more features. Within a short time, I had picked that up as well.

Those early campaigns. I remember going over to a friends house and gaming practically every day, and sometimes two or three sessions a day. One guy made it to Rune Lord in under a month. I was so surprised at the time with "how quickly" he advanced, but I should have expected it after cramming a year"s worth of gaming into one month. :o

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

My first was RQII, I suppose it must have in '79 or '80. We'd been playing AD&D and some of the players said they'd also tried another game. It sounded a bit odd as it apparently didn't have any classes or levels or stuff.

Some time later I got a chance to try it. I rolled up a character and got 18 in three different Characteristics. I think it was STR, DEX and SIZ. :)

He ran us through a short cavern crawl with some small troll like things that we fought happily.

I loved it.

So, we talked the GM into running a bit longer and he improvised something. More trolls, they slaughtered us. It seems he didn't realize at the time that trollkin and Cave Trolls are rather different :)

It was fun though, and while we kept playing AD&D as well, RQ was a revelation.

About 1982 I guess. A friend talked me into playing D & D which was fun. I decided to buy some stuff myself. Knowing nothing about RPG's, not even the the fact there could be more than one ! I went into my local hobby shop and bought Balastors Barracks ( the old green cover with the zombie on ) got home thought " hang on, this doesn't look like what we've been playing...."

And the rest is history. Bless me I've come over all nostalgic so I have. Bushido, Traveller, Aftermath...aaah those were the days

Not long after 1978, the year when I had my first encounter with roleplaying

games (Traveller, in my case). I used Runequest to design a "medieval" set-

ting, something with nomadic tribal barbarians and a city ... :rolleyes:

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

1982 the GW RQ box set in the UK. Lived in a small village and heard radio reports of a new game called Dungeons and Dragons. Actually saw it in a newsagent's shop, asked, was told that yes it was Dungeons & Dragons and yes there were metal figures inside. Neither statement true but never looked back. Have played D&D precisely twice in my life since then.

Friend sold me his copy of RQI he'd got on holiday in the US, having decided he didn't like it. er, Summer of '79 I THINK (it's been a while, y'know).

I still have several rather awful dungeon crawls scrawled in exercise books but statted for RQI/II from when I first ran RQ. A couple are even notionally set in Glorantha...

Cheers,

Nick

Guest Vile Traveller

RQII Apple Lane, 1983. I bought the RuneQuest boxed set for my birthday, because they didn't have Traveller in stock. Bought Traveller six months later and converted everything to D%. I haven't really used any other system since (tried many, but always preferred RQ).

By the way, the first real Runequest adventure I played was Griffin Mountain,

and it was also the first "sandbox type" roleplaying adventure I did ever see.

It made me fall in love with "sandboxes", and I rarely played a structured or

"railroading" adventure afterwards. To me, Runequest and "sandbox" almost

became synonymous. :)

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

Stormbringer 1ed back around 1982. I'd started on D&D and tried around that time some of the other TSR titles, Traveller, Aftermath!, and the like. I had also just discovered Moorcock and was reading everything of his I could get my hands on so as soon as I laid eyes on the Stormbringer Box Set I knew I had to have it.

Shortly after I started gaming with someone whose older brothers played RQ2, and since that time I have been pretty much a BRP bitch. I've used a lot of systems over the years but BRP has been the only system I have used continually for my entire gaming lifespan.

Help kill a Trollkin here.

I began roleplaying in the early 80's, but I was first exposed to BRP through CoC in the late 80's sometime. I played a Scottish Archaologist who almost got eaten by Dagon, but luckily his buddy the Private Eye fumbled his attack with the antique sword he had taken from the mansion and cut my leg off. Dagon ate my leg, but the rest of me got away to investigate again!

Later (maybe 1990?), I picked up a copy of RQ3 (had always been attracted by the cover art of the box, and also Apple Lane and Snakepipe Hollow, but had never seen any of those products in my local stores, only in Dragon Magazine). I had no idea it was a related system to CoC at the time. I was amazed, in reading through it, that a system could be so sophisticated, logical, and concise at the same time. I brought it to my group and discovered another player had played RQ2 and loved it, so we picked it up right away and it's been my game of choice ever since - almost 20 years, now!

"Tell me what you found, not what you lost" Mesopotamian proverb

I actually first played it at DunDraCon with Steve Perrin many a year ago right when it was coming out. I was getting a bit jaded with original 3-book D&D (yes, I'm that old a fart) at the time, and it ended up sweeping our gaming group like a storm; we had a big sort of interconnected non-Gloranthan RQ group for several years before politics ripped it apart.

French translation of CoC in the 80s. I have played AD&D and T&T only for med-fan, and CoC only for modern horror for years.

Shortly played RQ2 at the beginning of the 90s, then came back to BRP through BaSIC (BaSIC) in 1997 and used it for several homebrews; it also got me back into RQ2, in a campaign that started as face to face and that is now alas played by blog (Le blog de ZIT)

It must've been 1991. Stormbringer. I had only recently moved to Wisconsin after a 3-year stint in North Dakota. There was only one gaming store in Minot and all they sold were Palladium and FASA products, so you can imagine the world I lived in. Then I found myself in this small town in northern Wisconsin, nary a gaming store to be found. (actually I found it later but it was run from the back of this guy's law office). So I was off in another city (Wausau) attending an Unitarian Youth-Con when one of the other guys was like "yeah there's a gaming store a couple blocks from here." I ran. Bounded up the stairs and the first thing I saw was Great Cthulhu's tentacled maw next to this wonderful cover-art of the White Wolf bearing aloft a certain nameless black runesword. It completely blew my my mind apart that Lovecraft and Moorcock, two things I had fallen into in a BIG way suddenly existed as rpg-settings. The implication also, was that I wasn't the only other human that thought that this was absolutely awesome. *sigh*

I first played RQ in probably '79 or '80, using Apple Lane. Played CoC the first time in '83 or '84.

Of course in the '80s the big thing was trying new games even if you liked the one you had. HERO, GURPS, Aftermath, The Morrow Project, Daredevils, Twilight 2000, Stalking the Night Fantastic, Fringeworthy, Bushido, Traveller, Phoenix Command and a bunch of forgettable games I've forgotten. :P

It might be interesting to make a poll of this with people noting just when they got into BRP (maybe by decade or in 5 year increments)?

It might be worth another poll to see which particular incarnation of the game people started with and/or preferred.

I suspect that there are probably patterns here.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

I met a friend of a friend that gave me RQ candlefire and Griffin mountain, said " Here, take these" Then left, never saw them before or after. It was my third game, after dnd and traveller, Then I found coc. other suns. Even though I tried to push the game most wanted to play dnd except for CoC which I ran a couple long term "campaigns" lasting years

RQ2 in '82. A mate of mine ran a campaign (Pavis-based), and it was so great I thought 'I could never match that' - and spent the next 20 years or so trying to tweak my own D&D-based rules to be as good...

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

It might be interesting to make a poll of this with people noting just when they got into BRP (maybe by decade or in 5 year increments)?

It might be worth another poll to see which particular incarnation of the game people started with and/or preferred.

I suspect that there are probably patterns here.

You'd have to make sure they could be different answers; I started with RQ1, but my prefered flavor is hybridized RQ3/RQ:AIG.