Check out everything that's going into the new RuneQuest Starter Set...

MOB

27 minutes ago, MOB said:

It probably helps that pretty much everyone in the company is an active gamer. We do have a company board though, but eldritch considerations mean we usually meet outdoors...

Love it. Of course, I'm imagining the stereotypical company board of rich fat-cats completely out of touch with any product or consumer. I know that isn't Chaosium's board. 😉 

13 hours ago, klecser said:

Love it. Of course, I'm imagining the stereotypical company board of rich fat-cats completely out of touch with any product or consumer. I know that isn't Chaosium's board. 😉 

This is one of the last times we did actually sit around a table to have a board meeting. As the caption says, if only the table was round...

1248055802_ScreenShot2021-03-20at2_05_49pm.png.a18e60e49fbdf609dad70ed8ac0b27e8.png

• Like 3

9 hours ago, MOB said:

This is one of the last times we did actually sit around a table to have a board meeting. As the caption says, if only the table was round...

1248055802_ScreenShot2021-03-20at2_05_49pm.png.a18e60e49fbdf609dad70ed8ac0b27e8.png

Greg: "It has been properly moved and seconded to make products that don't suck, in perpetuity. Discussion? Seeing none, I'll call the question."

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Richard S. said:

How extensive will the rules booklet be? I'm assuming it'll at least be as extensive as the quickstart, but will it have anything on things like experience, or regaining Rune points?

The Starter set:
Book 1: Rules is 64 pages, and has some rules for experience and regaining rune points.
Book 2: World of Glorantha is 64 pages.
Book 3: SoloQuest is 60 pages, and has ONE soloquest.
Book 4: Adventures is 84 pages.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 13

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

On 3/20/2021 at 9:26 PM, Rick Meints said:

Book 2: World of Glorantha is 64 pages.

This is the bit I am most interested in. I treated myself to the slip cases of the game and the guide at Essen a few years back, and have played a few games as a player. But Glorantha is soooooo big that I’m hoping this will be the first step product that covers the setting in a newbie-friendly manner for me to get comfortable enough to actually run it.

On 3/18/2021 at 5:18 PM, Jape_Vicho said:

Curiously one of the pregens is called Yanioth Vareena's Daughter, yet doesn't look at all like her... I'm intrigued.

It's her. Different artists have different takes on the pre-generated adventurers. 

On 3/18/2021 at 6:49 PM, Manimati said:

Will it be released before my birthday ? 😜

So many variables: 

1. We have no idea when your birthday is, so let's say the time until your birthday equals ?. 

2. Printing takes X time, shipping to our four warehouses in the US/UK/AUS/EU takes X time, getting through international customs takes X time, then additional shipping from customs takes X time. Then it's a case of how long it takes our warehouses/fulfillment centers to from "pallets of boxes on loading docks" to "ready to put product into the mail." Let's call that time... X. 

So putting those together, it's hard to say whether ? is greater than or equal to X+X+X+X+X. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

On 3/19/2021 at 12:32 AM, klecser said:

Those of us who follow the broader industry know this, are darn sick of this practice, and are absolutely delighted that Chaosium is challenging this rancid status quo. As I Tweeted earlier today on this topic: Chaosium makes products truly by Gamers for Gamers. Not by a board room.

I speak as someone who loves starter sets in general, and is greatly disappointed by many. I've seen too many of them that are essentially big empty boxes with 4-5 hours, tops, of use. The goal with this one was that anyone who runs RQ will find some useful material in it. 

The next installment of the development blog goes into the contents. 

Edited by Jason D
  • Like 4

On 3/19/2021 at 12:13 PM, klecser said:

That could be the GM version? It wouldn't surprise me if there weren't two copies, one blank...

There are two versions - one with labels and another without. We chose not to do a color-it-yourself version, but I suppose we could always make it a download. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I wasn't going to worry about purchasing the RQG Starter Set, but now it is a different story - I'll get it for the Adventure(s), the Strike Rank counter, and those maps alone !!!

😀

Edited by Mankcam
  • Like 4

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

On 3/18/2021 at 4:33 PM, Rick Meints said:

The Starter set retails for $29.99. That's less than the cost of the Pegasus Plateau book.

The Soloquest is new, and all of the adventures in book 4 are easily used for an existing campaign. A set of 6 dice, the rules, references, and the maps are all easily usable try all. That seems worth $29.99 to me.

Yep, this looks like a pretty easy purchase to justify for me. You've got a winner here.

16 hours ago, Runeblade said:

After careful consideration I am sold. Seems like there might even be a few high quality blank character sheets if my eyes aren’t deceiving me. Always nice as I don’t own a color printer. Curious of that adventure also. Funny how the little things can tip you over. Might wait to get some reports of what the adventures are like though.

All will be revealed in future installments of the development blog.