Questworld: Rolling Macro

Chekmx

I wrote a small macro for foundry VTT that allows you to input a target number using 15M, 15M2, 45.  It then rolls a d20 and spits out the number of success as well as the actual roll and a standardized description of the target with and stretch and situational modifiers added.  Is there anything in the Quest world SRD license that would prevent me from make this accessible publicly?

Input.JPG

output.JPG

Edited by Chekmx
spelling
  • Like 3
  • Helpful 1
  • Thanks 5

image.png.59e0d76a90838ab1ec3cffcdd357f4c2.png

I updated it a bit.  Please note that this is based on the rules as published in the quest world git repo https://github.com/ChaosiumInc/QuestWorlds.  Also there is one issue which I will fix but have not yet which is that the 4th degree of success for hinderance and benefit is 25 rather than 2M(40).

The exported json file for the macro is here https://github.com/chekmx/QWMacro/blob/main/README.md 

Edited by Chekmx
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• 6 months later...
On 3/22/2021 at 10:55 PM, Chekmx said:

Is there anything in the Quest world SRD license that would prevent me from make this accessible publicly?

Good question.  I notice that they explicitly allow you to "create your own versions of our character sheets, including web-based character sheets that autofill or calculate numerical values."  This isn't that, but it's somewhat that-adjacent.  OTOH, they also say "Software or apps, including any item a user would download, install, and/or run, are not included in the Fan Material policy."  I'd maybe suggest contacting @Ian Cooper in the first instance as a courtesy, he being the QW honcho -- he doesn't seem recently active here, so you may need to seek out his preferred contact method.  He should be able to advise you on whether this is permissible, desirable, any specific boilerplate needed (though there's a template for that at https://www.chaosium.com/fan-material-policy/ in the "Requirements" section), and anyone else he might need to refer you to in Chaosium.  Or message or @ other staffers here for assistance, use the webform at the bottom of the fan-material page, or see https://www.chaosium.com/contact-us/

On 3/22/2021 at 10:55 PM, Chekmx said:

Input.JPG

Typo in "stre(t)ch". 🙂

Edited by Alex
  • Like 1

Were you the guy who wrote the Hero Wars app that I downloaded off of the Yahoo! Group a lifetime and a half ago?

ROLAND VOLZ

Running: nothing | Playing: Battletech Hero, CoC 7th Edition, Blades in the Dark | Planning: D&D 5E Home Game, Operation: Sprechenhaltestelle, HeroQuest 1E Sartarite Campaign

D&D is an elf from Tolkien, a barbarian from Howard, and a mage from Vance fighting monsters from Lovecraft in a room that looks like it might have been designed by Wells and Giger. - TiaNadiezja

The look of the interface was similar, but I guess that's just because it's maximum efficiency!

ROLAND VOLZ

Running: nothing | Playing: Battletech Hero, CoC 7th Edition, Blades in the Dark | Planning: D&D 5E Home Game, Operation: Sprechenhaltestelle, HeroQuest 1E Sartarite Campaign

D&D is an elf from Tolkien, a barbarian from Howard, and a mage from Vance fighting monsters from Lovecraft in a room that looks like it might have been designed by Wells and Giger. - TiaNadiezja

I’ve noticed that the Chaosium fan base is extremely cautious around IP. Overly, so. Note that if you’re not using the benefits of the Fan Policy, you’re not bound by its stipulations: it’s a trade, you gaining permissions normally not  available under copyright or trademark rules, in exchange for following procedures also not required by copyright or trademark.

IANAL but I’ve spent 20 years deeply attentive to IP, licensing, and open/closed licensing—the open source movement caught my attention early on. Neither macro you've made use anything beyond what rights we all already enjoy under typical copyright and trademark rules. It doesn’t even use the word “QuestWorlds”, even though nominative use of RPG names is a well-established right (thanks for suing over that and losing, TSR!). It definitely doesn’t use any copyright-covered SRD text, so the QWOGL can’t apply even if you wanted it to. (The QWOGL exists to let us use copyrighted text with permission if we follow its other rules; it’s not relevant unless copying text from it.)

I really appreciate how far Chaosium goes to be friendly to its fans with generous terms for fan-use of copyrighted materials, with the Fan Policy and the QWOGL. They’re doing it right. 🙂 But we as fans should also not hobble our outreach to others with tools we’ve made that aren’t restricted by copyright and don’t need the generous terms of the FP or QWOGL either, since that’s just limiting the spread of fandom more strictly than even normal copyright! And it would be a shame for the fandom to be smaller than it could be.

Edited by SevenSidedDie
  • Like 2
  • Helpful 1
  • Thanks 1