RuneQuest Starter Set Design Diary #2: Cover art reveal and what's inside the Box

MOB

On 3/26/2021 at 12:48 PM, jajagappa said:

Interesting that his ransom says "None".

There are two occupations with "None"

12 hours ago, Jape_Vicho said:

Dazarim doesn't look a heortling name so I think he/she is more probably from the Praxian Sun Dome, or maybe from Goldedge.

Look at the languages section and Ride under agility.

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

17 minutes ago, AndreJarosch said:

The cover of book one looked familiar. 
Now i figured out why ("Die Helden des Schwarzen Auges", Rulebook of "Das Schwarze Auge 2nd Edition" 1988): 

That's an interesting coincidence, but utterly unintentional. I've never seen that image, I'd be surprised if Jeff has, and I'm pretty sure Andrey hasn't either. 

This is the source image we sent him: 

image.png.d654a56e108b578666738eff43140c1e.png

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Jason D said:

That's an interesting coincidence, but utterly unintentional. I've never seen that image, I'd be surprised if Jeff has, and I'm pretty sure Andrey hasn't either. 

Me thinks that the "Das Schwarze Auge" art crew had this western picture as their reference image also. 

International nobody will notice the coincidence of the DSA box cover and the RQ Starter Set book cover. 
In germany the coinicidence might have a POSITIVE (nostalgia) effect for the product. 
We will have to wait and see (Uhrwerk Verlag already mentioned that the Starter Set will be the next RQ products after their three initial releases: core book, GM Pack and Bestiary). 

1 hour ago, Jason D said:

How I love that film!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AndreJarosch said:

We will have to wait and see (Uhrwerk Verlag already mentioned that the Starter Set will be the next RQ products after their three initial releases: core book, GM Pack and Bestiary). 

Same here, I really hope EDGE will publish the Starter Set in Spanish  🙏🙏🙏

Edited by Runeblogger

Read my Runeblog about RuneQuest and Glorantha at: http://elruneblog.blogspot.com.es/

2 hours ago, Oracle said:

You tease me with all this fantastic stuff, and then you tell me I have to wait until summer? (Which means June at least.)

Shame on you!

Hopefully it will come out in PDF before print.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

32 minutes ago, Runeblogger said:

Same here, I really hope EDGE will publish the Starter Set in Spanish  🙏🙏🙏

I will do whatever i can to give the german edition a good start, and keep promoting. 
RQ (and BRP in general... except CoC) is not very well known in germany... with the new RQ edition now is the time to change that!

4 hours ago, David Scott said:

Look at the languages section and Ride under agility.

You must have a really good vision bc I can't read a letter from those sections 😅. But the fact that you point to "ride" makes me think that whatever he/she rides makes the origin obvious, so it must be a praxian, probably Impala Tribe but who knows.

:50-power-truth::50-sub-light::50-power-truth:

3 hours ago, Jape_Vicho said:

You must have a really good vision bc I can't read a letter from those sections 😅. But the fact that you point to "ride" makes me think that whatever he/she rides makes the origin obvious, so it must be a praxian, probably Impala Tribe but who knows.

I believe I can see a ”Loyalty (White Bull)” there as well, and maybe a ”Speak Praxian”?

Edited by Akhôrahil

4 hours ago, Jape_Vicho said:

I'm pretty sure it says "Ride (Sable Antelope)".  Fuzzy, but the capital letters and word length seem correct.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AndreJarosch said:

Me thinks that the "Das Schwarze Auge" art crew had this western picture as their reference image also. 

It’s a huge trope.

The Power Walk is a wide shot of the main cast, shoulder to shoulder, suited up for battle and looking cool/determined/fierce as they walk towards the camera and often in slow motion. The Power Walk is mostly used in order to convey the unity of the group, as they walk in an orderly fashion in a single line. Traditionally the characters are ordered in their importance in the party, the most important in the middle and decreasing outwards.”

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PowerWalk

• Like 3

On 3/28/2021 at 4:54 AM, Akhôrahil said:

and maybe a ”Speak Praxian”?

To me, I think I'm seeing Firespeech, Pentan, and Tradetalk.

I'm not dismissing Praxian, but Pentan is related to Firespeech - although it's possible it was gained as a Gift... or simply because it's a Cult Skill...

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/26/2021 at 6:26 PM, PhilHibbs said:

Any that we don't have rules for yet? I'd love to expand my Google Sheets adventurer creation to support as many races as possible. I need to think about how to more easily accommodate unlisted races.

There will probably be a dragonewt and a Fox Woman among their number as these one-off nonhuman adventurers.

However, we're still wrestling with how to present dragonewts as viable longterm player characters for the upcoming Elder Races set. They may remain NPC-only. But as a single-use sort of character, they're not going to cause too much damage. 🙂

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Jason D said:

There will probably be a dragonewt and a Fox Woman among their number as these one-off nonhuman adventurers.

However, we're still wrestling with how to present dragonewts as viable longterm player characters for the upcoming Elder Races set. They may remain NPC-only. But as a single-use sort of character, they're not going to cause too much damage. 🙂

A magisaur instead?

Telling how it is excessive verbis

4 hours ago, Joerg said:

A magisaur instead?

"This immortal dragon-man might be a bit unbalanced against other players. I'm wrestling with how to make one work in the context of a player character group." 
"How about a dinosaur... one that can use magic?" 
"Problem solved!" 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Jason D said:

"This immortal dragon-man might be a bit unbalanced against other players. I'm wrestling with how to make one work in the context of a player character group." 
"How about a dinosaur... one that can use magic?" 
"Problem solved!" 

😁

In all fairness, the magisaur starts out as a now mortal scout dragonewt, and gains size (and loses intellect) with rather advanced age. So, yes, problem solved.

Certainly better than starting with a demibird-riding warrior newt with the option to become a triceratops within a few reincarnations.

Edited by Joerg

Telling how it is excessive verbis

Speaking as someone who's been obsessed with dragonewts since I first found Glorantha, Magisaurs don't really scratch the same "I wanna play a dragon man" itch. I get that dragonewts are difficult to use as anything but NPCs, but it would be nice if there were options for crested or beaked newts who had just lost the path and become mortal while still retaining their form, rather than just saying "play a dinosaur instead", or even some way to play orthodox dragonewts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Richard S. said:

Speaking as someone who's been obsessed with dragonewts since I first found Glorantha, Magisaurs don't really scratch the same "I wanna play a dragon man" itch. I get that dragonewts are difficult to use as anything but NPCs, but it would be nice if there were options for crested or beaked newts who had just lost the path and become mortal while still retaining their form, rather than just saying "play a dinosaur instead", or even some way to play orthodox dragonewts.

The problem with Dragonewts as Player Characters is that they are supposed to be unpredictable, unfathomable, and so foreign to Humans that we simply don't understand them. The only way to make them playable would be to wipe away all of that mystery and most or all of their secrets. Without trying to sound glib, it's hard to have it both ways. I totally get that their mysterious nature makes them sound way cool to play, but I'd rather they just be a mystery. I suppose you could play a mortal dragonewet with total and permanent amnesia, but I doubt that's what you would want.

• Like 6

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.