RuneQuest Starter Set Design Diary #2: Cover art reveal and what's inside the Box

MOB

15 hours ago, Richard S. said:

Speaking as someone who's been obsessed with dragonewts since I first found Glorantha, Magisaurs don't really scratch the same "I wanna play a dragon man" itch. I get that dragonewts are difficult to use as anything but NPCs, but it would be nice if there were options for crested or beaked newts who had just lost the path and become mortal while still retaining their form, rather than just saying "play a dinosaur instead", or even some way to play orthodox dragonewts.

Playing a dragonewt would be like playing a character in one of the more cryptic David Lynch productions (Twin Peaks, Inland Empire).  You don't know what's going on and your attempts to do things that make sense to you baffle onlookers.  

On 4/15/2021 at 3:49 PM, Rick Meints said:

The problem with Dragonewts as Player Characters is that they are supposed to be unpredictable, unfathomable, and so foreign to Humans that we simply don't understand them. The only way to make them playable would be to wipe away all of that mystery and most or all of their secrets. Without trying to sound glib, it's hard to have it both ways. I totally get that their mysterious nature makes them sound way cool to play, but I'd rather they just be a mystery. I suppose you could play a mortal dragonewet with total and permanent amnesia, but I doubt that's what you would want.

Way back in the 1981, the GM allowed a player in our game to take a Dragonewt PC.

The 'newt was played as sometimes (ok, OFTEN) acting in bizarre and random ways.  Several times each game-session, the character would roll on a table of random/inscrutable actions.  Sometimes the GM would tell them to roll, but often the player would just say, "he's been too sensible for too long... time for some draconic weirdness."

He ended up adventuring in a woman's formal ball-gown, instead of armor or other reasonable "adventuring gear;" it HAD BEEN rich treasure -- gem-beaded fine cloth &c -- that the party was going to sell for spells & guild-training. 

Once he declared an honor-duel vs. another PC... in the middle of party-vs-giant combat.

etc.

This was all understood to be some sort of meaningful / metaphysical exploration of something draconic & very possibly incomprehensible to humans.

Edited by g33k
  • Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig