Guide to Glorantha slipcase and Glorantha Source Book

Seenar

The Guide to Glorantha is a 2 volume, 800 page encyclopaedia. The Glorantha Sourcebook is a 1 volume, 220 page introduction. 
I backed both of them on Kickstarter or equivalent for AU$100 (a Melba) each so you should get them both eventually, but I recommend getting the Glorantha Sourcebook first. 
Other opinions are available. 😉

Edited by AndrewTBP

The Guide to Glorantha covers much than the Glorantha Sourcebook, because it covers Glorantha as a whole world including history from the God Time until 1621, including the Sky, including all the Pantheoi, but all this in a more high level view, whereas the Glorantha Sourcebook covers mainly the Dragon Pass area and the Lunar Empire, the history of these areas after the Dawn, the main Pantheoi worshipped in these areas, and all this in more detail than the Guide.

I would strongly recommend to follow Andrew's advice above: start with the Sourcebook and let the Guide follow later.

• Like 1

The Sourcebook is a collection of the classic articles mostly from the late 70s and early 80s that made us all fall in love with Glorantha, somewhat reworked and beautifully illustrated with lavish cartography. It’s incredibly useful if you’re playing a game set in Dragon Pass or the Lunar Empire, as those are the only areas detailed, but the Gods & Goddesses articles (worked throughout the Theogony section, inc. illustrated genealogies and maps of the Godtime) are foundational stuff and no Glorantha fan can afford to miss them.

The Guide is mostly a survey and gazetteer of the Surface World, albeit one that goes into phenomenal detail (every significant town and landmark gets a writeup). There are excellent overviews covering all sorts of things (eight human cultures and the Elder Races; the Sky, the Moon, the Gods Wall, the Hero Wars), but it’s fairly light on myth (you get far more from the Theogony in the Sourcebook).

When I’m playing RQ, I keep the Sourcebook handy, and sometimes read aloud from it at the table (esp. if I’m covering a well-known myth or a recent historical event). When I’m writing scenarios or setting material, I keep referring to the Guide: it’s an amazing resource, a treasure-trove of good ideas, and very Ctrl+F-able, if you take my meaning. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nick Brooke said:

The Sourcebook is a collection of the classic articles mostly from the late 70s and early 80s that made us all fall in love with Glorantha, somewhat reworked and beautifully illustrated with lavish cartography. It’s incredibly useful if you’re playing a game set in Dragon Pass or the Lunar Empire, as those are the only areas detailed, but the Gods & Goddesses articles (worked throughout the Theogony section, inc. illustrated genealogies and maps of the Godtime) are foundational stuff and no Glorantha fan can afford to miss them.

The Guide is mostly a survey and gazetteer of the Surface World, albeit one that goes into phenomenal detail (every significant town and landmark gets a writeup). There are excellent overviews covering all sorts of things (eight human cultures and the Elder Races; the Sky, the Moon, the Gods Wall, the Hero Wars), but it’s fairly light on myth (you get far more from the Theogony in the Sourcebook).

When I’m playing RQ, I keep the Sourcebook handy, and sometimes read aloud from it at the table (esp. if I’m covering a well-known myth or a recent historical event). When I’m writing scenarios or setting material, I keep referring to the Guide: it’s an amazing resource, a treasure-trove of good ideas, and very Ctrl+F-able, if you take my meaning. 

Good stuff. I know I am saving for both! 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Seenar said:

I am looking at supplements. Does Vol 1 and Vol2 cover the same or more material as the Source book, or is it a total of three books?

I will offer another opinion, if you only get one get the two part G2G. If you are going to get both, nothing wrong with getting the Sourcebook first if a choice must be made.

10 hours ago, Nick Brooke said:

The Sourcebook is a collection of the classic articles mostly from the late 70s and early 80s that made us all fall in love with Glorantha, somewhat reworked and beautifully illustrated with lavish cartograph

Yep the art is lovely, nothing wrong with the art in G2G but...

10 hours ago, Nick Brooke said:

The Guide is mostly a survey and gazetteer of the Surface World, albeit one that goes into phenomenal detail

And they are heavy, sell your nautilus, this is all you will need for your exercise requirements.

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

I use the Guide very often, searching for information and research. I don't think I have ever used the Sourcebook for research. Perhaps I should.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here