Solar Campaign

None

42 minutes ago, soltakss said:

Yes, there is even a HeroForming spell in the RQG Rulebook, Call Founder.

That's not what I meant as that spell summons a separate entity in a separate body.

You're making me doubt my memory here but I'm confident that the Heroforming from Hero Quest that I'm talking about that you yourself transform into a limited aspect of your deity.

Essentially invoking an extremely small scale Heroquest, giving you the abilituy to perfom said god's deed even if normaly beyond your physical capability. The limitation being that you bind yourself to acting as the deity in question did in that small mythical instance.

(I.e. the Ernalda version I mentioned allows you to make large swaths of the earth ferile simply by you being carried, or riding if you want to push it, past it.

You must however be pregnant and you must imitate Ernalda traveling throughout the land.)

Edited by None

3 hours ago, None said:

You're making me doubt my memory here but I'm confident that the Heroforming from Hero Quest that I'm talking about that you yourself transform into a limited aspect of your deity.

That's what you do each time you cast Rune spells, or successfully get inspired based on your deity's Runes.

HQG had some specific aspects around this (e.g. Feats) which brought you closer to your god, more attuned to your god.

This is represented in RQG in several ways.  First, by progressing to become a Rune-level practitioner of your cult, you are embodying the skills and magics (and Runes) of your god.

Second, by performing the ritual practices, worship ceremonies, and devotions to your god, you are instilling yourself with the ways, practices, and passions of your deity.

Third, you can undertake heroquests that allow you to further reflect and attune yourself as your deity.  However, to best achieve these, you want to have the skills, Runes, magics, Passions, etc. that get you closest to the deity - and by acting as your deity, you gain benefits (i.e. bonuses) during your heroquests.  At the same time, if you fail to enact your part as your deity you gain substantial penalties, and may fall out of the quest altogether.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, French Desperate WindChild said:

But what about spirits? they don't need worshipers to understand the "now" situation. They can act easely in mundane world (compared to gods)

I'd tend to argue that spirits do not really "understand" the "now" situation.  They are in their own amorphous, ever-changing, but yet never-changing Spirit World.  That may in places be tangent to the mundane world, but from a conceptual rather than actual standpoint.

Some spirits do get bound or trapped in the mundane world, e.g. ghosts.  But the concerns of the ghost are not the concerns of "now" but of whatever trapped them in the mundane world (e.g. hate, lack of burial service, etc.).

Spirits are weaker than gods though so it is possible for mortals to summon them back.  Do they care or even know about the current situation?  Only abstractly.  Your Ancestor may have Hate(Greydog), and will act upon that.  Will they know that the Greydogs have raided you recently?  No.  Will they ask if you've raided the Greydogs?  Yes, because that is their driving passion.  Will they know that Leika is now Queen?  No.  Will they ask if your king/queen is leading you against the Greydogs?  Yes. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

One added thought on spirits and the mundane world.  I always liked the ideas in the HQG scenario: Ghosts on the Ridge. 

Possible spoilers below:

Spoiler

In that scenario you encounter the ghosts of the Vostangi clan.  They were cursed and want you to free them from the curse.  But those that cursed them are gone from the world too!  So now you're left with having to find a proxy for those who cursed them so that you can free them from the curse. 

The mundane world has moved on.... The concerns of the spirits have not - they are locked in the "reality" of the time when they existed, which is no more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 4/23/2021 at 9:05 AM, French Desperate WindChild said:

I thought like you, but I faced a big issue: the great compromise:

In my Glorantha, Gods may (rarely but they can, and with the "help" or at least the "gate" of initiates eyes) act in the mundane world.

It is all a matter of power, or importance.

Deities such as Orlanth are bound by the Compromise, as are many demigods and powerful Spirits.

I would go so far as saying that everyone in the God Time joined the Great Compromise, in particular those who died and were in Hell.

But what about spirits? they don't need worshipers to understand the "now" situation. They can act easely in mundane world (compared to gods)

The Cult Compendium has rules about Spirit Cults on p28. There was an article somewhere, can't remember where, about Spirit Lords, those Spirits not powerful enough to be full deities but who could grant skills and/or spells. These are not Great Spirits, as such, but just powerful ones.

So what could be a Yelm-great spirit ? a mask of Yelm? the "autonomous" part of the full God Yelm?

Whatever face Yelm presents to shamans.

Among Pentians, Yelm is Yu-Kargzant, the Lord of Kargzant.

For Praxians, Yelm would be very difficult to approach, but a son of Yelm might be easier to get magic from. Yamsur is probably the son of Yelm that Praxians contacted for magic, but he is long-gone.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

On 4/23/2021 at 9:12 AM, None said:
On 4/23/2021 at 8:30 AM, soltakss said:

Yes, there is even a HeroForming spell in the RQG Rulebook, Call Founder.

That's not what I meant as that spell summons a separate entity in a separate body.

I have always played that the Founder inhabits the Khan's body, so it is HeroForming.

In RQ, Firshala cultists could do it, as could worshippers of Mistress Sazdorf. HeroForming is merely an extension of those examples into a general principle.

Essentially invoking an extremely small scale Heroquest, giving you the abilituy to perfom said god's deed even if normaly beyond your physical capability. The limitation being that you bind yourself to acting as the deity in question did in that small mythical instance.

(I.e. the Ernalda version I mentioned allows you to make large swaths of the earth ferile simply by you being carried, or riding if you want to push it, past it.

You must however be pregnant and you must imitate Ernalda traveling throughout the land.)

That is essentially HeroQuesting, not HeroForming, although you are making Ernalda manifest in you, so it could be a combination of both.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here