Why Esrolia for the Holy Country in RQG

Joerg

2 hours ago, Joerg said:

I view Harono as the Emperor god, first and foremost. The incarnate sun sitting atop the ziggurat. Possibly in dragon form.

Sitting atop the ziggurat removes the emperor from the embrace of earth.

This was my interpretation as well.  The draconic (or possibly serpentine) form might also explain further aloofness from the Earth and why Harono did not become the Husband-Protector (while we know that Yelmalio did).

• Like 1

It does make sense for the Harono-Nochet story to be a (First Age?) Esrolia-centric understanding of Ernalda's concubinage with Yelm. It also makes sense with the dragon, given Yelm's association with the dragon in his throne. And lastly, Orlanth is blamed for killing Harono, which is quite fitting. A version of Yelm's killing that's very unflattering to Orlanth. Which is partly why I suspect it's a Dawn Age story, predating the Lightbringer missionaries and their version. (a Yelm acceptable to Esrolia much like Dendara might be an Ernalda acceptable to Dara Happa.)

The only thing that's slightly off is the fact that the Harono temple is used for stargazing/astrology, I guess?

It's entirely possible that Esrolia's Harono is a slightly different slice of the Ruling Sky than Yelm, one that intersects between both Yelm and Arraz or something like that.

Edited by Sir_Godspeed
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

The only thing that's slightly off is the fact that the Harono temple is used for stargazing/astrology, I guess?

It's entirely possible that Esrolia's Harono is a slightly different slice of the Ruling Sky than Yelm, one that intersects between both Yelm and Arraz or something like that.

There's definitely suggestions that Arraz may have been an earlier Sun god, and that would align with a focus for the Harono temple for stargazing.  Or, perhaps the aloofness of Harono lends itself towards a focus on the celestial lights rather than the world below.

Let's get a little bit further out there. So there is a Yelm that is remote and aloof from human affairs, and that is Yelm after Oslira touches the Footstool and defiles it and before Murharzarm defeats her. This Yelm may, depending on interpretation, be a clue that "Yelm" is a title, or it may be a representation in symbolic form of the distance between humanity and the Sun without an Emperor who can pass the Ten Tests. 

Now, Esrolia doesn't record any kind of tradition of being part of the Golden Empire, but the ancestry certainly goes back there. So while they existed under the reign of the Sun at this time, they may have been out of the Empire itself, and rejected the magic of the Yelm-Emperor and produced the more distant Harono Sun, one who has ceded control of affairs on the ground to Dendara/Ernalda and put his attention to puttering around with the stars (a kind of divine method of going out to the shed and working on your model railroad). 

• Like 2

Though a Lunar through and through, she is also a human being.

"I just read an article in The Economist by a guy who was riding around with the Sartar rebels, I mean Taliban," -Greg Stafford, January 7th, 2010

Eight Arms and the Mask

1 hour ago, Eff said:

(a kind of divine method of going out to the shed and working on your model railroad)

Surely you mean painting tiny miniatures of all the peoples and beings of the world so that you can place them on your well-ordered world map, sorting them by colors, weapons, helmets/hats, etc.?  None of this gear-driven Mostali stuff! 😉

Edited by jajagappa
  • Haha 2

It might be argued that interaction between Dara Happa and the Storm Tribe started only after the Flood retreated. Umath's interaction with the Upper Sky did shake up the spheres above the cities in the Copper Tablets, but those don't appear in the writings of Plentonius.

I sort of prefer the slaying of the Evil Emperor to have played out between the local storm son of Kero Fin and the Esrolian usurpator over the syncretic myth manifested by the Bright Empire exchange of myths (and Harmast imprinting the local Kerofinelan deity on Ralian and Fronelan Orlanthi despite the Bright Empire's efforts to minimize Heortling influences).

Telling how it is excessive verbis

On 4/9/2021 at 5:24 PM, scott-martin said:

Ultimately they all screw it up when the western (storm) tribes intervene like they do.

Why do the Storm tribes always have to  triumph over the Solars anyway?

On 4/10/2021 at 3:06 PM, jajagappa said:

The Warm Earth faction is led by the Demivierge of Rhigos, the Queen of what is effectively the #2 city in Esrolia after Nochet.

Demiverge is an interesting title (by which I meran I have no idead what it should mean). Doesn't the Queen of Rhigos have a name?

On 4/11/2021 at 1:27 AM, jajagappa said:
On 4/10/2021 at 7:43 PM, Eff said:

Yelm is here nearly unrecognizable, so distinct that Yelm temples have to stay outside the city to keep them from being brought deep into the earth's embrace.

Well, except in Nochet where he is simply renamed Harono and it is his temple that lies within the Sacred City.  But this is a deity who is kept separate and perhaps isolated and relegated to very ritualized functions and never invoked as a Husband-Protector.

But the core book claims all of Ernalda's possible Husband-Protector's are pressent on Esrolia (wether Yelm ever was one is another matter entirely, isn't the Grazers the only ones who think so?)

On 4/11/2021 at 7:47 AM, metcalph said:
On 4/11/2021 at 1:27 AM, jajagappa said:

Well, except in Nochet where he is simply renamed Harono and it is his temple that lies within the Sacred City. 

I don't think Harono = Yelm.  To me, he's more like Arraz or Yelmalio.

Arraz who? Esrolia has too many Husband-Protectors. I'm loosing track of them.

5 minutes ago, None said:

Demiverge is an interesting title (by which I meran I have no idead what it should mean). Doesn't the Queen of Rhigos have a name?

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/demi-vierge

The definition may be NFSW so be careful.

5 minutes ago, None said:

Arraz is King of the Sky People in Dara Happa.  He lives in the star known to others as Dayzatara's Eye.  He is generally aloof from humanity to such an extent that the Dara Happans don't bother with him.

I don't think Harono is a Husband-Protector of Ernalda.  He was recognized as one in the distant past but no longer ever since the Vingkotlings took over.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, metcalph said:
1 hour ago, None said:

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/demi-vierge

The definition may be NFSW so be careful.

Thank you, although I'm not sure what can be NFSW with a dictionary.

As for the definition, it fits the description the Queen of Rhigos has in the core book but it also makes her a bit unusual for a High Priestes of Ernalda. Is it really the title the Queen of Rhigos always has to bear and does she have to live up to it?

1 hour ago, metcalph said:

Arraz is King of the Sky People in Dara Happa.  He lives in the star known to others as Dayzatara's Eye.  He is generally aloof from humanity to such an extent that the Dara Happans don't bother with him.

He must be really aloof then concidering they have Dayzatar.

Edited by None

1 hour ago, None said:

Is it really the title the Queen of Rhigos always has to bear and does she have to live up to it?

It's the title taken by the current Queen of Rhigos, and, yes, she supposedly lives up to the title. 

2 hours ago, None said:

Doesn't the Queen of Rhigos have a name?

Yes, I'm sure she does, but it has not been given to this point. 

2 hours ago, None said:

Because clouds block out the Sun.  It's the primary weather phenomenon of Dragon Pass.  Myths describe and reflect how the world got to be the way it is.  In Dara Happa, the Sun triumphs over the Storm (generally), except in Darkseason when the winter's snow and ice rules and the Sun is weak. 

2 hours ago, None said:

Esrolia has too many Husband-Protectors. I'm loosing track of them.

The Earth interacted with and married many deities:  sun, storm, rain, shadow, fire/lava, rivers, etc.  So, yes, natural for the Earth to have many Husband-Protectors.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, None said:

Demiverge is an interesting title (by which I meran I have no idead what it should mean).

3 hours ago, metcalph said:

Literally, in french, it means 'half-virgin', hence the derived meaning (in french as in english).

37 minutes ago, Ali the Helering said:

Imagine my surprise when I googled 'sundome'.🤣

This one, I didn't knew. Thanks.

2 hours ago, jajagappa said:

Because clouds block out the Sun.  It's the primary weather phenomenon of Dragon Pass.  Myths describe and reflect how the world got to be the way it is.  In Dara Happa, the Sun triumphs over the Storm (generally), except in Darkseason when the winter's snow and ice rules and the Sun is weak. 

I love it

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, None said:

Great question. In Esrolia it's a matter of basic geography. When societies around the Choralinthor focus too hard on interior disputes it creates an opening for opportunists on the fringes to intrude. The Manirian tribes are currently the fringe culture on Caladra's frontier so when the fire people get distracted with Esrolian politics it leaves the western border open. The fact that the invaders are nominally a "storm" culture is a little coincidental.

However, more broadly, whenever people in Glorantha get really involved with abstractions and other things remote from concrete everyday survival, disruption always follows.

One of the biggest abstractions we know is independent "sun" worship because the sun will shine whether you sacrifice to it or not. It doesn't have a choice and we don't either. The only freedom we have in the relationship is to decide whether to identify with the sun or get out of its way. As the heat pushes mobile factors away, what's left behind becomes increasingly stale and oppressive. 

If left alone long enough, these systems trigger a spontaneous correction that violently moves the air around, temporarily darkens the sky and liberates latent forces. We call it the storm. It's unpredictable in its details but inevitable in its pattern.

Every Gloranthan society has a storm age in its past, present or future. Strip away the meteorological metaphors and every community needs to grapple with change. Those that embrace change tend to be storm people and they tend to be on the losing side of history until they win big and the cycle refreshes. In Maniria, this means destitute tribes breed tough in the forest and when the volcano people on the border look away there's no stopping the horde.

(As an aside the volcano people will generate their own internal rivals over time as the "little vents" come of age and erupt. The border zone probably sees transient elemental alliances of convenience, storm and water and low fire interacting to achieve a common goal.)

5 hours ago, None said:

Her fiercest fans can jump in but in my Glorantha the task of giving her a name is complicated hero stuff that nobody has really managed to do yet. Right now she fronts for her goddess and plays her sexual politics like someone in a decadent opera.

• Like 2

singer sing me a given

Because clouds block out the Sun.  It's the primary weather phenomenon of Dragon Pass.  Myths describe and reflect how the world got to be the way it is.

Reminds me about how in HeroQuest there was this bit about how :20-element-fire: Sun had advantage over :20-element-darkness: Darkness had advantage over :20-element-earth: Earth had advantage over:20-element-air: Storm had advantage over:20-element-water:Water had advantage over:20-element-fire:.

The charactersheet of Runequest howver implies that  the relationship is :20-element-fire: Sun over :20-element-darkness: Darkness over:20-element-water:Water over :20-element-earth: Earth over:20-element-air: Storm over:20-element-fire:. (Although that is only if you read anything into the arrows.)

In Dara Happa, the Sun triumphs over the Storm (generally), except in Darkseason when the winter's snow and ice rules and the Sun is weak. 

How do the Dara Happans view and explain explain the Sunbeing weak in Darkseason anyway. I have a hard time believing they like the tought of the Sun growing weak over time and needing to be revitalized to such a degree.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, None said:

Mythic precedence, as much as the way weather works. While Umath's ascent into the sky was thwarted by the god of the green, southern city, that was just a temporary setback.

5 hours ago, None said:

Given the Ernaldan motherhood requirement for priestesses (which includes queens), I don't think that the Demivierge is an actual Earth Queen - more like a ruling maiden (well, somewhat...), unless she managed to get semi-pregnant or had a virgin birth prior to catching up with the naughty stuff. Interesting character, anyway.

5 hours ago, None said:

But the core book claims all of Ernalda's possible Husband-Protector's are present on Esrolia (whether Yelm ever was one is another matter entirely, isn't the Grazers the only ones who think so?)

If Yelm counts, then so would Nontraya, and possibly Sh'Harkarzeel...

Ernalda had been made a concubine of the Emperor, according to the "Orlanth woos Ernalda" myth.

Dara Happan Yelm has amazing powers of observation which coincide with the power to fertilize with a glance, provided the recipient of said glance made the right preparations (like Hon-eel did). (I wonder what became of her demigod children - they or their offspring would be valid candidates for emperorship, both paternally and maternally).

Plenty of other deities are going to share at least parts of the Yelm cult.

Yu-Kargzant is more down to earth than the Dara Happan equivalent. Whether the other sun emperors are as big on aloof purity isn't quite clear. The Pentans share quite a bit of the Grazer mythology, and so do the Zebra Riders of Prax and the Old Pavisites related to the Arrowsmith dynasty.

The Teshnites associate their sun emperor with elephants, sorcerous sun scopes, and fire.

The Kralori HeenMaroun is the Emperor, not necessarily the Sun itself. The identification with (the post-Bright Empire Theyalan identification of the Emperor and) Yelm was made by the Seshnegi adventurers who used God Learner methods to infiltrate Kralori lore and wisdom. They succeeded with the lore, and toppled the dragon emperor with that.

The Vithelan Emperor Govmeranen does have a dragon parent, but is not a child of Vith. He (and his successor) succumbs to the invasion of the Sea antigods.

The Pamaltelan/Agimori sun god is not an emperor - or at least, not an emperor any more. It isn't quite clear whether the civilization of Tishamto relied on solar sovereignty for its ruler. In Fonrit, the cult of Ompalam and even some city gods have greater claim to sovereignty than the sun god.

Ehilm in Ralian and Malkioni myths doesn't quite claim imperial sovereignty, either. His one lasting impression are the Flames of Ehilm, found in Hell as something separate from the Ashlord Emperor when presented as a test to the Lightbringers.

5 hours ago, None said:

A Dara Happan sky deity, identified with a prominent star in the Celestial City, named as a brother of Lodril and Dayzatar (and Yelm, at least by Plentonius, the Dawn Age author of the Glorious ReAscent of Yelm in-world document).

Definitely not a husband-protector of Ernalda in any myth that names him. Chief Servant or Minister of the Celestial Gods, leader of the celestial people, the Shanassae and/or Luxites (also spelled "Luxates").

Pretty much unknown outside of Dara Happa, and speculated to be the original form of Brightface by some scholars.

The Sourcebook makes Arraz a child of Dayzatar rather than a brother, but then generations between deities aren't as reliable as they are with mortals. Compare Odayla, who is referred as a brother of Orlanth by the Sylilings. Wyrm's Footnotes 10 has "Lux" for Arraz.

24 minutes ago, None said:

Reminds me about how in HeroQuest there was this bit about how :20-element-fire: Sun had advantage over :20-element-darkness: Darkness had advantage over :20-element-earth: Earth had advantage over:20-element-air: Storm had advantage over:20-element-water:Water had advantage over:20-element-fire:.

The charactersheet of Runequest howver implies that  the relationship is :20-element-fire: Sun over :20-element-darkness: Darkness over:20-element-water:Water over :20-element-earth: Earth over:20-element-air: Storm over:20-element-fire:. (Although that is only if you read anything into the arrows.)

The order of the character sheet is simply ascending order from bottom to top (if you start the cycle with Darkness). I read those arrows as "looks up to". 

This is also the sequence of the first five days in the Theyalan week starting with Darkness.

Yet another sequence would be the order of birth, :20-element-darkness: before :20-element-water: before :20-element-earth: before :20-element-fire: before :20-element-air:. The HeroQuest sequence always skips one in the order of birth.

24 minutes ago, None said:

How do the Dara Happans view and explain explain the Sun being weak in Darkseason anyway. I have a hard time believing they like the tought of the Sun growing weak over time and needing to be revitalized to such a degree.

The sun shining at all during winter is a great improvement over the Greater Darkness.

But the annual cycle of seasons is yet another weird order:

:20-element-water: before :20-element-fire: before  :20-element-earth: before :20-element-darkness: before :20-element-air:

Weird because there is no precedent for this in Godtime, unless we have lost a lot more to Chaos than we can even guess at.

Alternatively, this is a myth that needs writing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Joerg said:

Weird because there is no precedent for this in Godtime, unless we have lost a lot more to Chaos than we can even guess at.

I don't think the months come from any of the major cultures that survived the Bright Empire, which kind of amounts to the same thing. It incorporates aspects of the major predecessor calendars into a hybrid model.

• Like 1

singer sing me a given

1 hour ago, Joerg said:
7 hours ago, None said:

Mythic precedence, as much as the way weather works. While Umath's ascent into the sky was thwarted by the god of the green, southern city, that was just a temporary setback.

So what do we need to change that is the question. Hmm.

1 hour ago, Joerg said:

Dara Happan Yelm has amazing powers of observation which coincide with the power to fertilize with a glance, provided the recipient of said glance made the right preparations (like Hon-eel did).

Doesn't that pretty much make Yelm the diety capable of bringing fertility and life too the earth the most?

1 hour ago, Joerg said:

The sun shining at all during winter is a great improvement over the Greater Darkness.

True. True. But to even imply, not to mention admit, that the sun could be weak or weakened at all seem very un-Dara Happan.

1 hour ago, Joerg said:

But the annual cycle of seasons is yet another weird order:

:20-element-water: before :20-element-fire: before  :20-element-earth: before :20-element-darkness: before :20-element-air:

Alternatively, this is a myth that needs writing.

I think its just Gloranthan seasons matching Earth easons (as much as is possible).

Doesn't mean you can't make a myth out of it.

35 minutes ago, None said:

Kill Orlanth. It already worked once, at Whitewall.

Prevent Shargash from following Umath to Hell. (Prevent Verithurusa from being impregnated by Umath in Hell.)

Give Umath a place of his own in the universe, a nice little playground - be a nice uncle.

Doesn't that pretty much make Yelm the diety capable of bringing fertility and life too the earth the most?

Nah. Lodril keeps squirming inside the Fertile Earth, he doesn't need any prep-work. And Papa Aether showed how fertizing the Earth was done when he sired Umath by turning the firestick vertical and injecting Lodril while lying atop Gata.

True. True. But to even imply, not to mention admit, that the sun could be weak or weakened at all seem very un-Dara Happan.

Yelm has embraced his Death, and his return from it. God of Life and Death, ruler of Fire.

Night is a time of terror. The Dara Happans would love to get rid of night, or winter. Winter is easier. Last time they managed to get rid of night, the world almost snapped. It was called the Sunstop, and the Dara Happans would have been happy if that moment had ended History and Time and led off into a timeless solar bliss. Alas...

I think its just Gloranthan seasons matching Earth easons (as much as is possible).

Sure. But Glorantha is a world of myths - things are the way they are because of myths. So what are the myths that make the farming year the way it is? (Even for peoples that don't farm)

Doesn't mean you can't make a myth out of it.

Exactly. But nobody seems to have done so, yet.

53 minutes ago, None said:

Yes, but as the Orlanthi would tell you, Yelm took the calm air, Molanni, as his concubine.  And their child was Daga, aka Drought.  And then the earth became dry and barren.  There are then 3 variant myths of Orlanthi gods (Orlanth, Vadrus, and Barntar) defeating the river dragon and ripping it apart to free Heler (or the Blue Goddess), aka Rain. 

56 minutes ago, None said:

But to even imply, not to mention admit, that the sun could be weak or weakened at all seem very un-Dara Happan.

First, the DH will tell you how the Rebel Gods conspired (i.e. it took a group) and blinded Yelm so that they could kill him.  Even that didn't fully kill Yelm, but he divided into 6 parts, one of which was Antirius/Yelmalio (the Cold Sun) that aided them through the Darkness (i.e. winter).

The Dara Happans will also tell you that they created a Dome over their world and that this helped to keep out the worst of the winter and the ice.  That is, they call upon what magic they can to survive the winter seasons.

13 minutes ago, Joerg said:
58 minutes ago, None said:

Kill Orlanth. It already worked once, at Whitewall.

Prevent Shargash from following Umath to Hell. (Prevent Verithurusa from being impregnated by Umath in Hell.)

Give Umath a place of his own in the universe, a nice little playground - be a nice uncle.

Verithurusa  who?

Anyway. Wasn'tthe Whitewall killing of Orlanth pretty shoddy though, and what does Shargash in Hell have anything to do withthe Spike shattering?

The last part shouldn't be that impossible. Umath seems ,ore simple-minded than even Orlsanth. Although he might be harder to please and keep calm.

17 minutes ago, Joerg said:

Nah. Lodril keeps squirming inside the Fertile Earth, he doesn't need any prep-work. And Papa Aether showed how fertizing the Earth was done when he sired Umath by turning the firestick vertical and injecting Lodril while lying atop Gata.

Oh right. Lodril.

Aether isn't vey active nowadays thugh, is he? Wait Umath was created by Aether shoving Lodril into Gata? Doesn't that mean Umath and Lodril are related? (I also thought Umath just broke in from the outside.)

That makes me wonder. Would it be possible to initiate into Aether or Gata?

20 minutes ago, Joerg said:

Yelm has embraced his Death, and his return from it. God of Life and Death, ruler of Fire.

But to be constantly in the Underworld and in the Sky at the same time...

7 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

There are then 3 variant myths of Orlanthi gods (Orlanth, Vadrus, and Barntar) defeating the river dragon and ripping it apart to free Heler (or the Blue Goddess), aka Rain. 

(Bolding mine.)

Vadrus just keep showing his ties to water doesn't he?

8 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

The Dara Happans will also tell you that they created a Dome over their world and that this helped to keep out the worst of the winter and the ice.  That is, they call upon what magic they can to survive the winter seasons.

Whenevethat dome is mentioned I see a huge Golden dome-shaped shell over the cities of Dara Happa. I's kind of surprising that the worsipers of the Sun would have such harsh winters.

21 minutes ago, Joerg said:

So what are the myths that make the farming year the way it is? (Even for peoples that don't farm)

When the compromise was negotiated an ingeniuous grain goddess asked:

"Time mother, how will your child impact the growth power ?

We need :20-element-water: to let the grain settle in the ground

We need :20-element-fire: to let the sprout become a proud plant

Our worshippers need time to harvest the :20-element-earth: treasure

We need :20-element-darkness: to let the soil rest"

Then Barntar answered, before any of his kin acts wrongly

"And we need :20-element-air: to wash any parasite which may settle during your sleep"

And the cycle of growth was included in Time; it was called Year and her children were named Season

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, None said:

Verithurusa  who?

The Red Moon Goddess of Godtime. Originally a white "son" of Yelm, overseer (king/queen) of Mernita, also known as Jernotia (or both in the male -us form). The Copper Tablets (an in-world document shown in the Guide) shows how the eight planets react to Umath entering the "Perfect" Sky, dislocating the eight planetary sons of Yelm, causing most of them to enter the Underworld or otherwise leave the sky. Kargzant/Reladivus/Lightfore is the notable exception.

Just now, None said:

Anyway. Wasn'tthe Whitewall killing of Orlanth pretty shoddy though,

Yes, that had only a local effect. But Argrath might be going to build an Orlanth temple big enough to cover the surface world.

Just now, None said:

and what does Shargash in Hell have anything to do with the Spike shattering?

Without Shargash dismembering Umath in Hell, we wouldn't have seen the rise of his five sons - Storm Bull, Vadrus, Humakt, Orlanth, and Ragnaglar. And without Ragnaglar, at least the Chaos attack on the Spike would have failed.

There still would have been Zzabur shattering the world to get rid of the Vadeli (and the Glacier, which we might have avoided) and High King Elf applying Death to the roots of the Spike.

Just now, None said:

The last part shouldn't be that impossible. Umath seems ,ore simple-minded than even Orlsanth. Although he might be harder to please and keep calm.

Well, we have a Jack Russell Terrier which chases his tail angrily, too. We throw him out every now and then, but we let him come back after he has cooled down.

Just now, None said:

Oh right. Lodril.

No need for all that purification nonsense. Dirty as the Earth comes...

Just now, None said:

Aether isn't vey active nowadays thugh, is he? Wait Umath was created by Aether shoving Lodril into Gata? Doesn't that mean Umath and Lodril are related? (I also thought Umath just broke in from the outside.)

Yes, Umath and the three Aetheric brothers Dayzatar, Yelm and Lodril are sons of Aether. Umath is the only one who has a mother, Gata the Earth. The other three are idle thoughts, or playing around with the firestick. Whatever you prefer.

Just now, None said:

That makes me wonder. Would it be possible to initiate into Aether or Gata?

All the Celestial Court deities are transcendental deities, except for Uleria who still has a surface world cult that doesn't require enlightenment to join. These are higher deities worshiped by the gods (well, ancestor worship, but you know what I mean). Once you get on the same level as the deities, yes, you could initiate to these deities. It takes quite a bit of apotheosis or enlightenment to get there.

Just now, None said:

But to be constantly in the Underworld and in the Sky at the same time...

Not a problem, deities have multiple presences (pluripresence). Greg pondered using such pluripresence as a factor in a more board-game type heroquesting game (possibly related to the Masters of Luck and Death boardgame experiments, possibly for RuneQuest), and texts about that are in Arcane Lore in the Stafford Library.

You might wish to get illuminated first before tackling those ideas and concepts, most of which won't be in the heroquesting rules for RQG as far as I can see.

Just now, None said:

Vadrus just keep showing his ties to water doesn't he?

Yes, bullying water is something of a specialty of his. Fathering the Triolini merfolk, drying up Faralinthor Sea, slaying Enkoshons the first of the Blue Dragons (fathering Iphara on the Blue Woman in the process).

Orlanth copied his methods for Aroka, but fathered the Hellroar onto Kyger Litor on his way there, and failed to impregnate Heler that time.

Just now, None said:

Whenevethat dome is mentioned I see a huge Golden dome-shaped shell over the cities of Dara Happa. I's kind of surprising that the worsipers of the Sun would have such harsh winters.

There are other theories, like the Dome being constructed from brick or masonry in the image of Anaxial's Ark, only upside down to sail the advancing glacier from below. The Dara Happans brought Antirius (the remaining Cold Sun Disk, at least of their part of the world) inside the dome, making the world outside darker.

Storm Age Dara Happa didn't just have a winter, it had an Ice Age, and it weathered that beneath the ice in that dome. After the Chaos invasion had split the Glacier and broken the dome, the Dara Happans ventured outside again. Having missed the worst of the Chaos invasion while Storm and Earth had battled it, and lost, the following bleak period of the Greater Darkness was as much a problem created by one of their own cities (Alkoth, home of the Shadzoring hell demons) as it was one of Chaos.

56 minutes ago, Joerg said:

the Dome being constructed from brick or masonry in the image of Anaxial's Ark, only upside down to sail the advancing glacier from below. The Dara Happans brought Antirius (the remaining Cold Sun Disk, at least of their part of the world) inside the dome, making the world outside darker.

There is something in there that reminds me of the Lightbringers quest: going down into the darkness of the underworld to bring the light back. 

• Like 2