Colymar Tribes map scale?

RandomNumber

Hi there,

I'm exploring the rather wonderful GM pack and taking a (long...) run up to starting a Roll20 RQ campaign. Could anyone please tell me the scale to the printed Colymar Tribes map please? Apologies in advance if this is not the sort of question one is supposed to ask 😟

Many thanks,

It's 5km from the centre of Swan to the centre of Apple Lane as the crow flies:

770910279_Screenshot2021-04-06at15_13_49.png.8f03183fc2be28fabe514eb061226469.png1149533914_Screenshot2021-04-06at15_19_57.png.88d15b253806c950abea8e338101d8f2.png

That's what I use as my reference on Roll20. Yes this isn't the same map, but it was a great way to get the correct scale.

Edited by David Scott
  • Like 2

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

29 minutes ago, David Scott said:

770910279_Screenshot2021-04-06at15_13_49.png.8f03183fc2be28fabe514eb061226469.png1149533914_Screenshot2021-04-06at15_19_57.png.88d15b253806c950abea8e338101d8f2.png

That's what I use as my reference on Roll20. Yes this isn't the same map, but it was a great way to get the correct scale.

Excellent, thank you David.

54 minutes ago, David Scott said:

Using those oversized symbols on the right map for point information gives you an error margin of upo to 40% at that short distance... Map symbols often are adjusted slightly for maximum visibility.

The red dots are more reliable. So are longer distances between landmarks, minimizing the displacement errors.

Like: what's the distance from Swanton village center to Swan River? Given the clan's history of origin, I would expect that the village is quite close to the water, on a rising making it safe from normal flooding.

Compared to RQ3 (Genertela Box...) the quality of printed Gloranthan maps for RQG has improved a lot in truth to the scales and placing the symbols somewhat reliably next to the coordinates one can get from Greg's master maps (which really should be published in an "as is" shape, to show off Greg's efforts). That still leaves a lot of guesswork where exactly a map symbol is anchored, and how much 3D-ish presentation introduces another displacement error (especially for mountains, but also for locations shown as buildings).

Telling how it is excessive verbis

Works fine for scaling on Roll20 and matches perfectly with the new map that Jeff showed previously and has an excellent scale (which I used as the basis and overlaid for accuracy).

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

I've been told that, in good conditions, its a full days travel (on foot) from Apple Lane to Clearwine. Which would make travel to Rune Gate from Apple Lane being dsomewhere around 6-8 hours. Thats been the scale I've been working within roll20. For the Roll20 map of the Colymar region, I set the Hex grid up so that each Hex is a single days worth of travel (by Foot) to pass through. 

On 4/7/2021 at 2:05 AM, David Scott said:

Works fine for scaling on Roll20 and matches perfectly with the new map that Jeff showed previously and has an excellent scale (which I used as the basis and overlaid for accuracy).

By way of follow up (and validation of your estimate), the Dagori Inkarth map from Trollpak (2nd ed 1988) shows Swan (Swanton) and Apple Lane at the bottom left hand corner.  They are precisely 5km apart according to that map's scale.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Arcadiagt5 said:

I will just note that, somehow, I think I managed to delete my Colymar Tribes map from both Roll20 games so having this thread here was really useful today. 

Glad my ignorance could be of service! 😁

I'm experimenting with Roll20 for RQ myself but am yet to run anything - how have you found it? There doesn't seem to me much in the way of support for RQ specifically though the character sheet seems very useful and there are plenty of generic assets to be found.

23 hours ago, RandomNumber said:

Glad my ignorance could be of service! 😁

I'm experimenting with Roll20 for RQ myself but am yet to run anything - how have you found it? There doesn't seem to me much in the way of support for RQ specifically though the character sheet seems very useful and there are plenty of generic assets to be found.

I'm running two campaigns relatively successfully but pretty much everything has to be built manually using the character sheet. One game uses Roll20 VOIP, the other uses a Discord voice channel. 

The character sheet has some quirks that you might need to be aware of. For most characters I add an aster * to occupational skills, and a # to cult skills to help with end of Season experience checks. Do not do this to Spirit Combat.

The look up from the skills sheet to the main page Spirit Combat macro is dependent on the skill name.

The NPC sheet doesn’t handle damage bonuses or special/critical success multipliers.

One enhancement to the main sheet that would be useful would be a separate column for magical bonus damage that isn’t doubled on a special or crit, especially if you type in Bladesharp modifiers, etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arcadiagt5 said:

The character sheet has some quirks that you might need to be aware of. For most characters I add an aster * to occupational skills, and a # to cult skills to help with end of Season experience checks. Do not do this to Spirit Combat.

Thanks for this tip.  I noticed that the character sheet doesn't seem to accommodate the spirit combat damage mod for Assistant Shamen and Shamen - it simply derives the base damage from POW+CHA.

1 hour ago, Arcadiagt5 said:

The NPC sheet doesn’t handle damage bonuses or special/critical success multipliers.

OK.. so there's an NPC sheet? Where/how do you obtain that?  I was able to get the character sheet by setting my game up to use the BRP / RQ: Glorantha character sheet. I hadn't figured out that there is an NPC sheet asset that can be loaded somehow.  Thanks.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, RandomNumber said:

Thanks for this tip.  I noticed that the character sheet doesn't seem to accommodate the spirit combat damage mod for Assistant Shamen and Shamen - it simply derives the base damage from POW+CHA.

It seems to if you fill out the occupation correctly.

30 minutes ago, RandomNumber said:

OK.. so there's an NPC sheet? Where/how do you obtain that?  I was able to get the character sheet by setting my game up to use the BRP / RQ: Glorantha character sheet. I hadn't figured out that there is an NPC sheet asset that can be loaded somehow.  Thanks.

Click the cog:

1383041845_Screenshot2021-05-03at16_15_31.png.20d32c9ec3e07f4c12450c31af47036f.png

• Like 2

-----

20 hours ago, David Scott said:

It seems to if you fill out the occupation correctly.

I dropped in a very basic set of stats, tried "Shaman" and "Assistant Shaman" but the Spirit combat damage doesn't seem to adjust beyond the amount determined by POW+CHA. What's my rookie error?...

Thanks for the tip re the NPC sheet - will be using that.

image.png.6a62498d2d0bb2742191fdd76dfe4acd.png

1 hour ago, RandomNumber said:

What's my rookie error?...

Trusting that I knew what I was talking about 🙂

I've just gone back and double checked. You are correct. It doesn't add the bonus. I have added a query to check if this is implemented, if not as a feature request over on Github: https://github.com/Roll20/roll20-character-sheets/issues/8832

• Like 2

-----