HELP! Other RQG milieux?

svensson

1 hour ago, g33k said:

You could do a lot worse than RQG's own artwork !

You can to a degree but since I'm not using either a variant of Imperial Rome [the Lunars] or a pseudo-Gaulish-Saxon hybrid [Sartar], that only goes so far. I needed something more Mediterranean looking without the heavy Gloranthan Earth cult motifs of Esrolia. The RQG illos do a great job of illustrating the action of the mechanics and I do use them for that, but for the more cultural stuff I had to look elsewhere.

On 4/14/2021 at 11:42 PM, svensson said:

No, no you can't 🤣

More than anything else here, I was looking for good illustrations that I could show the girls instead of regaling them with the Wall of GM Text [tm] and watching their eyes glaze over. With a few well-sorted Google image searches and my go-to Osprey collection, I'm able to give them a sense of the material culture without having to use the phrase 'material culture' to a 'tween-aged' kid.

Beyond that, my audience is female. On the one side I want to avoid the 'chainmail bikini' archetype but I also want to avoid the whole 'Amazons cut their left breast off' thing too. The happy middle ground is a certain 'Assassin's Creed: Odyssey' vibe, where society is vibrant and alive but without the whole bimbo sugar-cookie thing or being so historical that I take the fun out of it for them.

I'm looking for more this [photo of Minoan girl from the BBC] and less this [cosplayer Jacqueline Goehner, Red Sonya 'costume']

Minoan Girl BBC.jpg

J Goehner Red Sonja.jpg

Steady on, I'm in my fifties now I shouldn't be seeing this sort of stuff until after 10am. My doctor was very clear about that 😄

• Haha 1

Just now, Agentorange said:

Steady on, I'm in my fifties now I shouldn't be seeing this sort of stuff until after 10am. My doctor was very clear about that 😄

If you're in your 50's and if I am to infer from your screen name that you're an American, then you'll recognize this one....

Redd Foxx Im Comin.jpg

You mention being a military historian, obviously I'm going to be preaching to the converted here but Osprey have a whole bunch of books eg Men at arms, Elite, Warrior series etc that are profusely illustrated for the period in question. I think the Fortress series looks at Troy, Mycenean citadels and so on as well. There's other stuff covering Egypt etc in case your players venture further afield.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Agentorange said:

You mention being a military historian, obviously I'm going to be preaching to the converted here but Osprey have a whole bunch of books eg Men at arms, Elite, Warrior series etc that are profusely illustrated for the period in question. I think the Fortress series looks at Troy, Mycenean citadels and so on as well. There's other stuff covering Egypt etc in case your players venture further afield.

Oh, yes. I've got a collection of over 300 various Osprey titles and they've gotten quite a workout.

I used the Warriors of Greek Hoplite, Carthaginian Warrior, Bronze Age Greek Warrior, and Iron Age Greek Warrior.

I've pulled The Scythians and the Assyrians for later use, as will Zulu Warrior and several of 'Queen Victoria's Enemies' titles.

10 minutes ago, Agentorange said:

Actually I'm British, the origin of the name is a long and boring story .....

OK, quick explanation of the meme.

Redd Foxx was a great comedian in the 60's and 70's. His most famous role was a TV series called 'Sanford and Son', about a scrapper and junk dealer in Los Angeles. Every time something outlandish or annoying happened to him, he'd clutch his chest and fake a heart attack, claiming he was coming to Heaven to be with his deceased wife.

Mythras/RQ6 is basically right.

And to add to it, DriveThru have a free (OMGs, yes FREE!!!) download from Zozer Game Design, a RQ6/Mythras supplement called Warlords of Alexander - very specifically the post-Alexandrian break-up of the empire. It's light on pictures though. And has a lot of Greek terminology - including weapon names. And how to appease your gods with libations... And prices in the drachmae and obols...

While it does list the gods and relates some skills etc to them, it doesn't do much for the magical side of things. However, there's a "pre-" version that you could hunt around the net for, called Diadochi Warlords, that does have magic (and potions, and making magical items). Again, no pretty pics. But, that's what the internet is for!

• Like 1

On 4/15/2021 at 8:06 AM, Ali the Helering said:

Except, unfortunately, that too is entirely unproven since, as you say, it is not well recorded.  Your can't regard Herodotus as a reliable historian either, truly you can't.🤣  

Herodotus' lies are likely far more interesting than the truth, and for a fantasy RPG that is gold imo.

• Like 3