Jump to content

Special rules for Sanctify


Recommended Posts

Quote

Sanctify   :50-condition-magic:
1 Point
Ritual, Stackable
This spell blesses the volume of a 10-meter-radius area, usually a sphere (though Earth cult holy ground always takes on a cubical shape). Cast on level ground, one hemisphere would roughly be in the air, and the other within the earth.
While the Sanctified area is not detectable by touch or trolls’ Darksense, the boundaries slightly shimmer in bright light. Ceremonies are performable within a Sanctified area that normally can be performed only in a temple, such as replenishing Rune points.
Anyone within any portion of the sanctified area is considered completely within it. If non-initiates, spells, or spirits cross the boundary, the caster is immediately alerted to their presence.
Additional Rune points of Sanctify increase the radius of protection by half again. Thus, 2 points of Sanctify protects a 15-meter-radius area, and so on.

I think we are all familiar with this common spell, but what I would like to know if any one has additional or special rules for it? For example, we play that enemy cults cannot ask for Divine Intervention  in a Sanctified area. And, since it is an enchantment, it can not be Dispelled, but we allow it to be taken down by another Sanctified spell if the Caster overcomes the amount of magic points sacrificed in the Sanctified area during the last Worship ceremony with his POW. In this case we allow this spell case to be cast as a Instant instead of Enchant.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Godlearner said:

And, since it is an enchantment, it can not be Dispelled,

It's not an enchantment, it's a ritual. To be an enchantment permanent POW not Rune points must be spent.

1 hour ago, Godlearner said:

but we allow it to be taken down by another Sanctified spell if the Caster overcomes the amount of magic points sacrificed in the Sanctified area during the last Worship ceremony with his POW.

It can be be dispelled by any magic strong enough to do so. (Dispel, Dismiss, Neutralise Magic). Once the ceremony is over, it disappears anyway. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Arcadiagt5 said:

Which is OK as a house rule, but it does mean that you really can't get advice on Sanctify from other players since it's a major deviation from RAW.

But that was the whole point of the thread, wasn't it? Godlearner asked:

 

16 hours ago, Godlearner said:

I think we are all familiar with this common spell, but what I would like to know if any one has additional or special rules for it?

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I was fairly certain that a wordhipper of an enemy god cannot divine intervention inside your holy place. So, an Orlanthi couldn't DI out of a Krarsht Temple and vice versa. Is Sanctify where this special temple holy groubd ability comes from? If so, why would it end after the ceremony, or is it constantly being sanctified somehow?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would suggest re-reading Divine Intervention on page 272

On 4/10/2021 at 6:15 PM, HreshtIronBorne said:

I was fairly certain that a worshipper of an enemy god cannot divine intervention inside your holy place.

That's not what it says:

Quote

A deity cannot do other than what it did during the God Time.

and there is specifically an example that says:

Quote

Divine intervention cannot be used against worshipers of the same god. The worshipers of the Orlanth temple in the Aranwyth Tribe will be refused if they attempt to call upon Orlanth to help them invade the temple of Orlanth worshipers of the Culbrea Tribe.

So an Orlanth group could DI into a Kyger Litor temple to steal the sandals of Darkness

Quote

So, an Orlanthi couldn't DI out of a Krarsht Temple

It says:

Quote

An anti-Chaos party, consisting of a Zorak Zoran leader, and Storm Bull, Babeester Gor, and Orlanth followers should be able to escape a Thanatar temple, if the leader calls upon Zorak Zoran and the god responds.

So they could DI out.

Quote

and vice versa.

Yes if there is a precedent.

Quote

Is Sanctify where this special temple holy groubd ability comes from? If so, why would it end after the ceremony, or is it constantly being sanctified somehow?

If it's a permanent temple, a giant sanctify is initially cast and then the worship never stops. There may be more info coming on establishing temples, but I'd allow permanent POW to be spent to make it an enchantment (instead of RPs). Don't forget you can have votive images continually worshipping, or the ghosts of previous priests conducting continual ceremonies. Go wild.

Edited by David Scott
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, David Scott said:

There may be more info coming on establishing temples,

1 hour ago, French Desperate WindChild said:

I love this idea

Me too!

2 hours ago, David Scott said:

Go wild.

I love that one even more!

WAHAAAAA!

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Kloster said:

Yes, that means the worshiping ceremony never ends, thus the sanctify stays in effect.

I was thinking more along the lines of - taking votive images with you wherever you go, and dropping said Sanctify and votive image in enemy temples (probably after a quick Dismiss Magic).

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Shiningbrow said:

I was thinking more along the lines of - taking votive images with you wherever you go, and dropping said Sanctify and votive image in enemy temples (probably after a quick Dismiss Magic).

Remember to regularly check your Chalana Arroy shrines for Mallia votive images!

Edited by PhilHibbs
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shiningbrow said:

I was thinking more along the lines of - taking votive images with you wherever you go, and dropping said Sanctify and votive image in enemy temples (probably after a quick Dismiss Magic).

 

Oh, you're devious. Good idea.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Shiningbrow said:

I was thinking more along the lines of - taking votive images with you wherever you go, and dropping said Sanctify and votive image in enemy temples (probably after a quick Dismiss Magic).

Don't forget the image is of you, normally sculpted from rock. should range in size from 1 foot to full size. The description in the first link covers some excellent pointers:

Form:

  • Hands folded in reverence

  • Wide-eyed with head tilted upward -- allow for continuous eye contact with the god

  • Arched brows inlaid with dark shells, limestone, and bitumen

  • Stocky muscular body with heavy legs, large geet, and big shoulders -- shows strength which is important because the statue needs to be strong enough to endure the constant worship

Function:

  • Serve as a stand-in when the owner couldn’t come to prayer

  • Preserve faith to god(s) after death

Here's one of the well known sets:

asmargroup.jpg.6605ef136c8c02d2184dc2eb45f5d9a9.jpg

https://sites.google.com/site/adairarthistory/ii-ancient-mediterranean/14-statues-of-votive-figures-from-the-square-temple-at-eshnunna

https://cnx.org/contents/k64PgmY0@1/Mesopotamian-Votive-Statuary-from-the-Early-Dynastic-Period

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, David Scott said:

Don't forget the image is of you, normally sculpted from rock. should range in size from 1 foot to full size. The description in the first link covers some excellent pointers:

Form:

  • Hands folded in reverence

  • Wide-eyed with head tilted upward -- allow for continuous eye contact with the god

  • Arched brows inlaid with dark shells, limestone, and bitumen

  • Stocky muscular body with heavy legs, large geet, and big shoulders -- shows strength which is important because the statue needs to be strong enough to endure the constant worship

Function:

  • Serve as a stand-in when the owner couldn’t come to prayer

  • Preserve faith to god(s) after death

Here's one of the well known sets:

asmargroup.jpg.6605ef136c8c02d2184dc2eb45f5d9a9.jpg

https://sites.google.com/site/adairarthistory/ii-ancient-mediterranean/14-statues-of-votive-figures-from-the-square-temple-at-eshnunna

https://cnx.org/contents/k64PgmY0@1/Mesopotamian-Votive-Statuary-from-the-Early-Dynastic-Period

Yep, pretty much what I was thinking - although smaller and made of wood (or bronze). Like you'd put on a small home altar shelf.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Shiningbrow said:

I was thinking more along the lines of - taking votive images with you wherever you go, and dropping said Sanctify and votive image in enemy temples (probably after a quick Dismiss Magic).

 

But you cannot quickly dismiss the "eternal (aka enchanted) sanctification" of the temple, that's the difference with the temporal sanctification.

You have to destroy things to desacralise the temple (well I think)

In this case, I am not sur you need to sanctify anything.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, French Desperate WindChild said:

But you cannot quickly dismiss the "eternal (aka enchanted) sanctification" of the temple, that's the difference with the temporal sanctification.

You have to destroy things to desacralise the temple (well I think)

In this case, I am not sur you need to sanctify anything.

Destroy the holy objects*, Dismiss the old Sanctify, cast your new one...

(GM to decide what they are, and how)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Weird - I would have though that terracotta statuettes would be the norm in Orlanthi lands, with material like jade or alabaster reserved for nobility.

Carved wood would be another poor man's version, and probably an important source of income for stickpickers or poor cottars.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...