Jump to content

Special rules for Sanctify


Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Why terracotta?

Because it's Ernalda's sacred body!  What, you make images out of cheap sticks instead??? 😉  You've got to show Ernalda your love!

Edited by jajagappa
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

Because it's Ernalda's sacred body!  What, you make images out of cheap sticks instead??? 😉  You've got to show Ernalda your love!

Right, so rock would not work?

 

18 minutes ago, Joerg said:

Ernalda is the goddess of pottery in all forms, after all.

Okay, I can see that.

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, David Scott said:

Don't forget the image is of you

Oh I had not understood that -- I thought it was an image of whatever would look nice in the temple (image of the god, of a lesser god, a cult hero, an associated animal, a symbol, whatever).

 

4 hours ago, Joerg said:

Weird - I would have though that terracotta statuettes would be the norm in Orlanthi lands, with material like jade or alabaster reserved for nobility.

Carved wood would be another poor man's version, and probably an important source of income for stickpickers or poor cottars.

Stone statues are probably the result of the stonemasons' guild heavy handed marketing efforts to draw more people to their business 🙂   The slogan "If your faith is SOLID, make it ROCK SOLID!" was very popular on all syndicated story circles around Sartarite tribes, where the guild paid priests to mention it between episodes of The Lightbringers' Quest retellings. This gave the false impression that votive images had to be rock to really matter.

(all similarities with the diamond industry's history are a coincidence)

More seriously, the RQG rulebook does list terracotta along with stone and metal. I imagine that these things are made up of anything and everything, although some temples may prefer one or the other. I don't think you'd be very popular offering a very expensive iron votive image to an Aldrya temple...

Edited by lordabdul
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Joerg said:

Weird - I would have though that terracotta statuettes would be the norm in Orlanthi lands, with material like jade or alabaster reserved for nobility.

Carved wood would be another poor man's version, and probably an important source of income for stickpickers or poor cottars.

Terracotta has a number of potential problems - it's not as hard wearing as stone, and large statues are difficult to fire (I have a client who produces large clay figures and there is a limit in size). I've tried to find any references to to the type of votive statues we are talking about here made of terracotta and can't find any. Here's her votive worshippers at a local temple (make of them what you will):

image3.jpg.ed8762a3584c670f961280e23cd35cbd.jpg

 

  • Like 3

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, French Desperate WindChild said:

imagine that you are far from the temple where your put your munch... votive statue

now someone breaks your statue.

Do you think you get an alarm "hey guy, you are not anymore in the temple", or that will come step by step, understanding than you, irreverent worshipper, don't replenish your rune pool ?

I don't think you'd be aware of it, unless some serious magic (POW) was devoted to it. (Is POW required to make a munch... votive statue?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, French Desperate WindChild said:

imagine that you are far from the temple where your put your munch... votive statue

now someone breaks your statue.

Do you think you get an alarm "hey guy, you are not anymore in the temple", or that will come step by step, understanding than you, irreverent worshipper, don't replenish your rune pool ?

As it's a personal sacred object, it follows the usual rules - don't touch. The temple keepers won't be happy.

34 minutes ago, Shiningbrow said:

(Is POW required to make a munch... votive statue?

When my players created their statues, one suggested that they pay a POW for a rune point to "initiate" the statue into the cult. I thought that was a brilliant idea. That effectively made it an enchantment, so I'd allow a feeling that something has happened to their votive statue. They wouldn't loose their rune point.

11 hours ago, lordabdul said:

More seriously, the RQG rulebook does list terracotta along with stone and metal.

Just noticed that too...

 

Edited by David Scott
  • Like 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, David Scott said:

When my players created their statues, one suggested that they pay a POW for a rune point to "initiate" the statue into the cult. I thought that was a brilliant idea.

Yes that sounds perfect. It means they can't scatter votive images around all over the place. The munchkin in me wants to say "where are the three votive images for my first three RP", but take no notice of him!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, David Scott said:

When my players created their statues, one suggested that they pay a POW for a rune point to "initiate" the statue into the cult. I thought that was a brilliant idea. That effectively made it an enchantment, so I'd allow a feeling that something has happened to their votive statue. They wouldn't loose their rune point.

I like it. Still not sure about the feeling... 

Oooh, I just had a thought. If your munc... Votive statue is damaged to the point of being inoperative, roll Worship to see if you notice. (Make that damn skill do something!!!)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/17/2021 at 5:21 AM, David Scott said:

Terracotta has a number of potential problems - it's not as hard wearing as stone, and large statues are difficult to fire (I have a client who produces large clay figures and there is a limit in size).
 

China might disagree... cf: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terracotta_Army#Types_and_appearance

Granted, those had been buried for centuries, so not exposed to weather...

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Baron Wulfraed said:

China might disagree... cf: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terracotta_Army#Types_and_appearance

Granted, those had been buried for centuries, so not exposed to weather...

Sure these are a unique find, made of many pieces and part of a necropolis, so not really the same use. 

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...