Enchantments🔥🔥🔥

icebrand

1 hour ago, Godlearner said:

There is always a delay in casting a spell. In this case Dullblade would go off after the damage has already been applied. If you want something like this you are better off with a Heal instead.

Yes, this matrix enchant has that drawback, that it only takes effect after the first parried blow. I still think it's an interesting and useful idea. It's a lot of POW, though, 3 plus the points of Dullblade, so Dullblade 4 would take 7 POW.

4 for Dullblade
1 for Auto Casting condition
1 for Target Condition (no Dullblade already)
1 for 1D10 MP to power it, you might need 2 or 3 to have a decent chance of getting two casts out of it, and you might still be unlucky and not get enough for a single casting.

As with the original question, it's pretty clear that this is a LOT of POW, and I can't imagine anyone doing it.

BUT I think you'd get so much use out of it, it might actually be worth it. If you have a decent amount of armour, then parrying once means you can pretty much count that weapon out for the rest of the fight. Even if they critical, they're doing 8 points less than they would have done without the Dullblade!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Godlearner said:

I would go with a Heal 2 instead. Less POW to make and could save you from bleeding to death.

Heal is a touch spell, but the rules don't specifically say that you have to touch the damaged location. I guess that's up to the GM whether they want to rule that. I'd be inclined to disallow auto-healing items like this, using that as an excuse. Seems a bit too powerful to me.

6 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

Even if they critical, they're doing 8 points less than they would have done without the Dullblade!

8 points less with Dullblade 4? That seems confusing because Bladesharp or Bludgeon would not add twice for their impale/slash damage and thus critical, so I was under the impression that Dullblade would only subtract once from the total damage. RAW: "Any ... magical modifiers to damage are applied normally." page 203 Summary of Special Damage Result box for all three types. Dullblade is a 'magical modifier', no?

Example: Great Sword with Bladesharp 4 gets a critical: 2d8 twice for slash and maxed = 32 damage. Then the Bladesharp 4 and Damage Bonus of 1d4 is added on top of the 32. So 36+1d4.

Great Sword with Dullblade 4 gets a critical: 2d8 twice for slash and maxed = 32 damage. Then the Dullblade subtracts and the Damage Bonus adds to the 32. So 28+1d4.

1H Short Spear with Dullblade 4 gets a critical: d6+1 twice for impale and maxed = 14 damage. Then the Dullblade subtracts and the Damage Bonus adds to the 14. So 10+d4.

Great Hammer with Dullblade 4 gets a critical: 2d6+2 maxed = 14 damage. Then the Damage Bonus adds 4+4 (max for critical). Then the Dullblade subtracts 4. So 18.

Related topic, Hammer/Mace users likely should cast Strength rather than Bludgeon 2 - for those Crushes. And we rarely see PCs using hammer/mace when they start with a d4 damage bonus. Anyone using maces or mauls should have a d6 damage bonus and cast strength to push that to 2d6, and almost definitely +10% skill. Though one of the interesting characters I recall used a heavy mace with d4 damage bonus because they were a human Xiola Umbar initiate and later priestess. Hence, not mainly a fighter. Though he was skilled enough.)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Godlearner said:

There is always a delay in casting a spell. In this case Dullblade would go off after the damage has already been applied. If you want something like this you are better off with a Heal instead.

The first bit is true - but if  you're parried successfully such that the Dullblade has gone off, then it's unlikely that you won't be using it again.

The Heal (if in direct comparison - having it on a shield to autocast) would be irrelevant most of the time - because you successfully parried, and thus, shouldn't have taken damage.

One small issue with this enchant (other than the exorbitant POW cost), is there will be numerous times when you parry an opponent who gets taken out within a couple of rounds, to then attack the next person... Yes, you'd probably run out of MPs to power it. Especially the case if you're on campaign, and won't have time to recharge the MPs between combats.

13 hours ago, Godlearner said:

I would go with a Heal 2 instead. Less POW to make and could save you from bleeding to death.

What's the condition? Every time you take damage?

Personally, I'd leave that to a spirit, and voice command. And a larger Heal. (would anyone allow a condition that would include HPs? After all, it's not really a Gloranthan value - but a game construct)

15 hours ago, Dragon said:

8 points less with Dullblade 4? That seems confusing because Bladesharp or Bludgeon would not add twice for their impale/slash damage and thus critical, so I was under the impression that Dullblade would only subtract once from the total damage. RAW: "Any ... magical modifiers to damage are applied normally." page 203 Summary of Special Damage Result box for all three types. Dullblade is a 'magical modifier', no?

Good point, I'm wrong.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Shiningbrow said:

What's the condition? Every time you take damage?

Personally, I'd leave that to a spirit, and voice command. And a larger Heal. (would anyone allow a condition that would include HPs? After all, it's not really a Gloranthan value - but a game construct)

Yes, on taking damage. There is a chance of going unconscious, and it would be nice to have spell go off even in that case. 

• Like 1

On 4/10/2021 at 2:51 AM, icebrand said:

Hi guys, i have a question:

Has any of your PCs, ever, spent pow in making a spirit magic matrix?

If so, why? 

Also, I'd like to hear about your PCs self-made enchants, please share!

In RQ3 with its weekly POW increases it was quite common. And sometimes it was even done just for money to pay for training.

• Like 2