Who uses Dullblade?

Shiningbrow

2 hours ago, Shiningbrow said:

Then, let me ask this... What if Dullblade (or Bladesharp, or Crush, or Fireblade, etc...) is cast on a weapon on the ground, and then picked up? 

I would presume most of you would say the damage effect is no problem. What about the skill adjustment?

It's a magical effect, as soon as you pick it up it becomes easier to wield. Fireblade changes only the damage.

However the range is touch. So not ranged casting

Edited by David Scott

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

37 minutes ago, Shiningbrow said:

So, it's the actual weapon being changed (and targeted), not the person wielding... 

31 minutes ago, PhilHibbs said:

Dullblade doesn't affect the wielder directly, in my opinion. It affects the sword.

That's what it says in the spell description:

If Dullblade is also cast on the weapon, the improved chance to hit from Bladesharp is not affected, but the weapon’s additional damage is reduced by the second spell.

The spell target is the weapon. If the weapon contained an allied spirit, it would need be a POW vs POW for Dullblade to succeed.

• Like 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

55 minutes ago, David Scott said:

If Dullblade is also cast on the weapon, the improved chance to hit from Bladesharp is not affected, but the weapon’s additional damage is reduced by the second spell.

The spell target is the weapon. If the weapon contained an allied spirit, it would need be a POW vs POW for Dullblade to succeed.

Where's that description come from? I don't have that in either RQ:G or RBoM. Oh, you're reading Bladesharp... Dullblade doesn't have that. Personally, I'd rule that they counter each other, and the higher point value gets the remaining +/- to both skill and damage.

But, you and I are agreeing that Dullblade doesn't require a POW v POW.... some of the others above apparently need convincing.

1 hour ago, Mugen said:

But dullblade won't help you suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune...

13 minutes ago, svensson said:

Nope. They got Speedart and Disruption for that...😉

Pretty sure that's actually Firearrow - 2mp for such an instant spell is outrageous! And you still need to be fortunate to hit.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, French Desperate WindChild said:

It does if you cast dullblade on the missile weapon (not the arrow, the bow)

of course if the weapon is out of range of the spell, there is no issue (well... for the opponent 😉 )

Does Dullblade work on ranged weapons?

I thought it could only be used againt melee weapons.

14 minutes ago, French Desperate WindChild said:

I thought too but

red book of magic

Ouch. I dunno about that one. That may have to be table-ruled. Were I a referee and ruling on just how many arrows/bolts/javelins a Dullblade spell effects, my almost automatic answer is 'one'.

And let's address the game balance issue here. Dullblade has traditionally been presented as the 'opposite' of Bladesharp, just as 'Extinguish' is the opposite of 'Ignite'. Bladesharp [RBoM description] says it effects 'any cutting, hacking or stabbing weapon'. This implies to me that missile weapons also count there as well. And, were I the ref at the table, the answer to 'how many' would still be 'one'. AND the missile loses the spell effect after being thrown /fired.

Unless 'maximum game fun' [Greg's Rule] means stacking Bladesharp, Speeddart, and Multimissile into one attack chance.... Which seems a bit over the top to me, **especially** since the RQG rules have done away with Armoring Enchantment.

2 minutes ago, svensson said:

Bladesharp [RBoM description] says it effects 'any cutting, hacking or stabbing weapon'. This implies to me that missile weapons also count there as well.

I don't see that implication. To me it implies the opposite. The text "The spell is incompatible with the other weapon-enhancing spells of Bludgeon and Fireblade" implies this too, otherwise it would say "and Speedart". It makes no sense for Bladesharp and Speedart to be compatible.

Sure, you could argue that technically there is a paper-thin gap in the rules that you can slide your character sheet into, but I have no time for that.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, PhilHibbs said:

Sure, you could argue that technically there is a paper-thin gap in the rules that you can slide your character sheet into, but I have no time for that.

Certainly it's a technicality, but isn't that the direction the conversation segued to? And, as I said, I think that stacking that many buffs into one attack chance is over the top.

3 hours ago, David Scott said:

The wording on the spell is pretty clear:  If the weapon has a spirit in it, the spirit’s magic points must be overcome for the spell to work.

To me it means that if it does not, then no POW vs POW roll is necessary.

From a gamming point of view, this spell is not very cost effecting. I can see having a magic spirit cast it for you on your opponent's weapon, but nothing I would want my character to spend time or magic points on.

4 minutes ago, Godlearner said:

The wording on the spell is pretty clear:  If the weapon has a spirit in it, the spirit’s magic points must be overcome for the spell to work.

To me it means that if it does not, then no POW vs POW roll is necessary.

To me it means just that you have not to use the POW of the weilder, but of the spirit.
I read it as: 

If the weapon has a spirit in it, the SPIRIT´S magic points must be overcome for the spell to work. (... otherwise it´s the weilders points...)

1 minute ago, AndreJarosch said:

To me it means just that you have not to use the POW of the weilder, but of the spirit.
I read it as: 

If the weapon has a spirit in it, the SPIRIT´S magic points must be overcome for the spell to work. (... otherwise it´s the weilders points...)

YGWV, but the RAW wording is clear.

16 minutes ago, Godlearner said:

YGWV, but the RAW wording is clear.

RAW: 
POW vs. POW: A spellcaster attempting to directly influence the mind or body of their target must use the resistance table to overcome the POW of the target with their own POW.

Dullblade, like Bladesharp does not only alter the damage the weapon can do (that would be just a spell on the weapon, with no POW vs. POW nessessary), but it alterns also the chance to hit by 5% per point, which IMHO affects the skill of the character weilding the weapon, and therfore needs a POW vs. POW roll. 

Maybe i am wrong... put altering skills counts for me as "attempting to directly influence the mind or body of their target". 

48 minutes ago, AndreJarosch said:

RAW: 
Dullblade, like Bladesharp does not only alter the damage the weapon can do (that would be just a spell on the weapon, with no POW vs. POW nessessary), but it alterns also the chance to hit by 5% per point, which IMHO affects the skill of the character weilding the weapon, and therfore needs a POW vs. POW roll. 

The difference being that it does not effect the wielder but the weapon. If the wielder drop that sword and grabs another, he is no longer subject to the -5% penalty (per point)

EDIT: And is another person picks up that sword, they will be subject to the -5% penalty (per point) as well as the -1 to damage (per point).

Edited by Godlearner
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, AndreJarosch said:

Maybe i am wrong... put altering skills counts for me as "attempting to directly influence the mind or body of their target". 

If you put a down a sword with Bladesharp 4 on it down and pick up another sword, the spell does not transfer, including damage and skill.

If you put a down a sword with Dullblade 4 on it down and pick up another sword, the spell does not transfer, including damage and skill.

• Like 4

-----

1 hour ago, AndreJarosch said:

It’s not clear what happens diegetically when Dullblade is cast (neither the dulling part nor the blade part needs be involved), but it seems it just generally ”baddens” the weapon. So the skill penalty is likely just that the weapon becomes clumsy or unwieldy.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Kloster said:

P.S. Note, it does not matter if this is a house rule or not because Dullblade also affect the target, by removing 5% to his weapon skill by level of the spell, so the POW vs POW roll is mandatory.

I don't allow pow vs pow with dullblade. You cast it and it works, unless the weapon as a spirit on it.

And it doesn't affect the character. The weapon is -damage and -%, if the character throws the weapon and picks another they don't get any -% or -damage

"It seems I'm destined not to move ahead in time faster than my usual rate of one second per second"

31 minutes ago, AndreJarosch said:

With Scotts clarifications (thanks Scott!) Dullblade becomes a much more useful spell for me. 

Agreed with the gratitude to Scott for the clarification, sorry Kloster! Plus using it for CAs and Ernalda healers as he suggested earlier is great!

Edited by Bill the barbarian

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!