RQ Starter Set Design Diary #4: more about the new adventurers

MOB

35 minutes ago, Joerg said:

I don't think it is as much cultural prohibition (that, too) but an actual mythical imperative that links left-handedness with draconic thought.

This raises the question whether anyone is born left-handed, or if it’s acquired when you do dragon stuff.

Edited by Akhôrahil

41 minutes ago, Joerg said:

I don't think it is as much cultural prohibition (that, too) but an actual mythical imperative that links left-handedness with draconic thought.

Which could be tested in Kralorela, where people with draconic insights might be quite numerous.

Well, Glorantha's mythic imperatives are nothing if not inconsistent 😁 The setting makes a point of proving that 'not everything is what it looks like -- until it is!'

I do see your point about draconic thought though. But I think that an average player character level person [as opposed to an average human or Major Hero] would need to demonstrate more than just one odd characteristic before everyone starts gossiping about 'dragon worshiper' accusations. OTOH, if a PC were left-handed, with a widow's peak hair style, had different colored eyes [blue and green, for example], and practiced an odd form of magic, well, that'd be all the evidence anyone would need, right?

It's covered on page 81, Handiness. Those who are left-handed are considered unlucky. IMO, it shouldn't impact the game and should be treated as a story hook, or as 13G as one unique thing.

• Like 2

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

On 4/17/2021 at 11:35 PM, Shiningbrow said:

Could a CA have a spirit that could cast the prohibited spells on them, for the purposes of fighting undead?

Yes, but at minimum they could expect a visit from the Spirits of Retribution. Gods expect you to believe, which means following the spirit of the law and not just the letter.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scorus said:

Yes, but at minimum they could expect a visit from the Spirits of Retribution. Gods expect you to believe, which means following the spirit of the law and not just the letter.

I would suggest that a CA initiate would NOT willingly accept forbidden spells from any source. Again, the 'spirit rather than the letter of the law'. A lay member, perhaps, but not someone who has dedicated themselves to the White Lady.

HOWEVER[!], there is a bit of leeway... Bladesharp to conduct surgery for instance. But **never** for combat purposes, no matter what opponent.

Edited by svensson
  • Like 1