BRP Preview Images

Jason D

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We went there in the Playtest Group.

I pointed out that the basic character sheet didn't contain Hit Locations.

Jason pointed out that Hit Locations were an Optional Rule and so shouldn't be in a generic sheet.

I pointed out that EDU was an Optional Rule and shouldn't be in a generic character sheet.

Jason said "Yah! Boo! Sucks to you!".

Or something like that, anyway. Obviously, I paraphrase :)

But, any character sheet that has EDU and no Hit Locations screams COC to me (and not in a good sense).

There is a bad sense?

Anywho it looks great, I'm firmly "meh." about the font, but it does look kinda early eighties.

Still, I can't wait for the fantasy companion...

• 3 weeks later...

Personally, I've only ever had a few minor issues with the BRP represented in Call of Cthulhu (not enough for me to stop considering it as my favourite game, though!). However:

- I didn't see the need for Characteristic SAN (you already have POW).

- I felt that the Characteristic values needed to be integrated with skills better, and to have more definable worth.

- I felt that the skills listed needed formatting better.

Looking through the photos, it very much looks like all these issues have been emphatically resolved. And there's even what looks like some sort of personality profiling too, which is a pleasant bonus! Definitely, a case of getting back to Basic! :)

Personally, I've only ever had a few minor issues with the BRP represented in Call of Cthulhu (not enough for me to stop considering it as my favourite game, though!). However:

- I didn't see the need for Characteristic SAN (you already have POW).

- I felt that the Characteristic values needed to be integrated with skills better, and to have more definable worth.

- I felt that the skills listed needed formatting better.

Looking through the photos, it very much looks like all these issues have been emphatically resolved. And there's even what looks like some sort of personality profiling too, which is a pleasant bonus! Definitely, a case of getting back to Basic! :)

My biggest rule gripe (beside the idiotic skills "head butt" and "kick" with 1d6 damage) about CoC has been that a character has only a parry OR an attack per turn, but not both. (exception swords and -oids AFAIR) This sounded very "un-BRP" and I never used it.

My biggest rule gripe (beside the idiotic skills "head butt" and "kick" with 1d6 damage) about CoC

There was a children's TV series in the UK years and years ago called Tucker's Luck, a spin off from Grange Hill, and the main character was invitied to play a game of AD&D. He rolled up a warrior and the DM asked him whar he wanted to do against a foe. Tucker said he wanted to "Nut him" and they all recoiled in horror and said "You can't do that" so he quit the game.

All us RQ fans watching said "He could have nutted him in RQ doing 1D6 + DB damage".

So, don't belittle the Head Butt attack!

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here. 

There was a children's TV series in the UK years and years ago called Tucker's Luck, a spin off from Grange Hill, and the main character was invitied to play a game of AD&D. He rolled up a warrior and the DM asked him whar he wanted to do against a foe. Tucker said he wanted to "Nut him" and they all recoiled in horror and said "You can't do that" so he quit the game.

All us RQ fans watching said "He could have nutted him in RQ doing 1D6 + DB damage".

I suspect that phrase has an entirely different meaning than the one used in the United States.

Ah cultural idioms,

I once had to explain/translate some UK slang to someone. Specifically the term "shag".

My friend had a hard time figuring out what a inch thick carpet had to do with the story and why a certain character needed one and how it would resolve the current situation.

A very puzzled friend asked me why a carpet would mellw someone out. :lol:

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

I suspect that phrase has an entirely different meaning than the one used in the United States.

Ah, that didn't even enter my head.

Your "nut" in English slang is your head, or can be, so to "nut him" means to head-butt him.

I don't know what "nut him" means in American.

Perhaps he should have gone and had a fag instead .....

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here. 

Ok, but at least after a head butt the involved parties should suffer from reduced INT rolls for some minutes and from an extra orientation roll. :)

Oh my god. "This product may contain nuts" the packets said. And, innocently, I ate them... <spits copiously>

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

Maybe only half a war doesn't allow time for that to happen... ;)

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

• 4 weeks later...

The new book looks very professional, that is if these images bear any resemblance to the final product.A pity that one of the pictures is blurred. I'd have liked to have seen how the mecha stats are handled.

I seem to be losing my POW versus these images roll to try to resist buying it!:D

http://www.basicrps.com/core/BRP_quick_start.pdf A sense of humour and an imagination go a long way in roleplaying. ;)