A Big, If Surreal, Day

svensson

So, just a little bit about me...

Like most of you, I'm on the shady side of 50. Like a lot of you I'm a veteran. I did 6 years in the US Army way back when Cold Warriors and other dinosaurs proudly roamed the Earth.

But my wives [I've had two] and I have never had kids. What we have had is a long involvement with historical reenacting and through that we've watched a lot of young men and women grow up. My US Civil War company has two wonderful boys who've been with us for years, Chad and Chandler. Both the boys were involved in JROTC, both the boys are seriously stand up kids and we love them to death. But both of them are just average guys... they're not athletically gifted or super smart or got phenomenal grades. They are, well, average. And both have had to work their asses off to get through the process to join the US armed services. 

Well, Chandler leaves for Basic Training next week. Chad is still working on getting waivers worked out.

And as an old war mutt and half-assed step-uncle, I couldn't be prouder of the boys.

And I got down on my knees and prayed that the President's plan to pull out of Afghanistan works out. And I prayed for the health, well-being, and prosperity of 'my boys'.

-- [/s] CRH Jr.

-- Corporal, US Army Cavalry

-- C Troop, 2 Sqdn., 11th Armored Cavalry.

-- "BLACKHORSE!'

• Like 4

I think we can all join you in prayers for conflict-disengagement and less war; and for the health, well-being, & success of our youth (both in the military & out of it).

Congratulations on "raising" your two fine boys.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

44 minutes ago, g33k said:

I think we can all join you in prayers for conflict-disengagement and less war; and for the health, well-being, & success of our youth (both in the military & out of it).

Congratulations on "raising" your two fine boys.

I wish I could say that I had a hand in 'raising' them, but sadly that isn't the case.

I have combat related PTSD. One of the symptoms I have to contend with is a short temper. I can get mad at really trivial stuff on occasion. So when it comes to people I care about, I try to limit my contact to positive situations and events. I've had some influence on the boys and have tried to give them good advice. I've been supportive of them and complimentary in their work and skills. But I'm all too aware of my black humor and cynical mindset, so I've tried to distance them from that part of me. I like to think that I've been helpful, but I can't honestly be sure of that.

But thank you for your kind words. I appreciate them. And yes, we could all do with less war, that's for damned sure.

Cavalry Respects.jpg

Edited by svensson
  • Like 2