Rune Spell Lightning number of uses

Hellfire6a

Lightning also has unique utility in that it can destroy or ignite stuff instantly. If you disarm a baddie or are racing for the McGuffin or need to clear out a barn you can solve all of those with a single point of lightning. Maybe a couple to destroy or damage an item depending on whether it is equipment or jewelry. 

Our recent skirmishes with Lunar have well illustrated how powerful Mindblast is in comparison to Lightning in terms of directly removing an enemy threat. Lightning has to be used creatively to have the same level of effectiveness per point, IMO. 

• Like 2

On 4/20/2021 at 5:25 AM, jajagappa said:

It shouldn't be adding +2D6. 

The spell reads: This spell adds 8 points of STR to the target for the spell’s duration. This increases melee combat damage by one step on the Damage Bonus table on page 56 (e.g., from +1D4 to +1D6)

The best bump up comes if your STR+SIZ was in the 33-40 range (i.e. average of 17-18).  In that case, you'll push the total into the 41-56 range and effectively add +1D6 (taking you to a total damage of +2D6). 

19 STR + 14 SIZ = 33 total or +1d6 Damage bonus to start then add one step +2d6. I think I did that right. I forgot to mention it also adds 10% to Shield use. So my Adventurer (Yahir; a Light Cavalry Warrior with Initiate Orlanth Adventurous, Sartarite, has Broadsword 100% and Medium Shield 70%) ends up with Broadsword 110%, Medium Shield 80%, and +2d6 damage bonus. He also has an heirloom black enameled bronze ring with "Shield" and 2 point matrix. Which he got from the sack of the City of Wonders. (Still reading the rules so I don't really know what that means but it sounds cool 🙂 ) [I am using Back to Balazar's wonderful website to help generate a wider range of heirlooms] {My other heirloom is a history of the Taraling tribe which increases my reputation, Sartar lore, and my reading/writing} I really love RQ!

Edited by Hellfire6a
Incomplete

7 minutes ago, Hellfire6a said:

19 STR + 14 SIZ = 33 total or +1d6 Damage bonus to start then add one step +2d6. I think I did that right.

You did it right yes but (1) that's quite the edge case (19 STR!), and (2) I think several people misinterpreted your earlier message about adding +2d6 to damage as "it adds +2d6 to whatever you already had". It only adds +1d6 to the previous +1d6. You were talking about the damage bonus, when other people thought you were taking about the spell bonus to the damage bonus.

• Like 1

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

7 minutes ago, lordabdul said:

You did it right yes but (1) that's quite the edge case (19 STR!), and (2) I think several people misinterpreted your earlier message about adding +2d6 to damage as "it adds +2d6 to whatever you already had". It only adds +1d6 to the previous +1d6. You were talking about the damage bonus, when other people thought you were taking about the spell bonus to the damage bonus.

I figured that's why I added the above info. I rolled a 17 for STR then added +2 for the Air Rune being my primary rune...was this correct? (and +1 to CHA for my Movement Rune being secondary?) Truthfully this is the best Adventurer I've ever rolled up. I played way back in the early 80's and my first adventurer was so abysmal I called him Wyvern the Wimp (I'd been allowed to play a dragon newt). 

Edited by Hellfire6a
Incomplete
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Hellfire6a said:

I figured that's why I added the above info. I rolled a 17 for STR then added +2 for the Air Rune being my primary rune...was this correct? (and +1 to CHA for my Movement Rune being secondary?)

Movement is not an element, but whatever your second elemental (fire, water, earth, darkness, or moon) rune is, you can add that bonus to CHA so yes you got it mostly right.

And a 19 STR is really good, but not as "wow, edge case" as it used to be due to the prevalence of Air Rune in the Orlanthi. One of the new pregens, Varakos, also has 19 STR and a +1D6 damage bonus as well so you aren't breaking the game with this!

Edited by PhilHibbs
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Hellfire6a said:

19 STR + 14 SIZ = 33 total or +1d6 Damage bonus to start then add one step +2d6.

Right, you go from a bonus of +1d6, to a bonus of +2d6.  So the net effect is an additional +1d6.  (I had interpreted your initial post as indicating adding a +2d6 on top of what you already had.)

Both Air (STR) and Darkness (SIZ) give good opportunity to bump those characteristics up and push the STR+SIZ sum into the 33-40 range.  Strength becomes a very good short-term addition in that case.

4 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

Movement is not an element, but whatever your second elemental (fire, water, earth, darkness, or moon) rune is, you can add that bonus to CHA so yes you got it mostly right.

And a 19 STR is really good, but not as "wow, edge case" as it used to be due to the prevalence of Air Rune in the Orlanthi. One of the new pregens, Varakos, also has 19 STR and a +1D6 damage bonus as well so you aren't breaking the game with this!

My secondary element is Fire, oops.

4 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

Where do you find the new pregens?

On 4/22/2021 at 8:12 PM, jajagappa said:

Both Air (STR) and Darkness (SIZ) give good opportunity to bump those characteristics up and push the STR+SIZ sum into the 33-40 range.  Strength becomes a very good short-term addition in that case.

So we can expect Trolls to have a good bit of Air to go with their Darkness?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Shiningbrow said:

So we can expect Trolls to have a good bit of Air to go with their Darkness?

"Are Trolls violent, unruly and strong?"

The Runes do the work for you. Learn to read them.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nick Brooke said:

"Are Trolls violent, unruly and strong?"

The Runes do the work for you. Learn to read them.

Trolls love music and delicatessen 

trolls love their family and have a lot of knowledge others ignore 

trolls rune levels have to read

trolls have empire bigger  than any orlanthi kingdom we can conclude they have a very well organization

so i think that trolls have light as secondary runes

or.. they don’t