Illumination Runes

Tcneseis

20 hours ago, metcalph said:

No.  Illumination is associated with the Infinity Rune and Nysalor's tradition (which is derived from Yelm) approaches it through the Fire (or Light Rune).  It could be used for chaotic means

Is it in Heroquest Glorantha?

20 hours ago, metcalph said:

Dragons teaches Illumination (Infinity Rune through the Dragon Rune).  Metsyla's illumination is different as he represents the old solar tradition.

As a matter of fact, what about Dayzatar?

I don't think Kralorela has tight connections with the Dara Happan Empire, notwithstanding what mythologies may imply, it's not always wise to draw inferences from it. What is believed true in the East may conflict with what is believed true in Peloria, even if both claim to know the truth. Is the solar tradition of Kralorela old? I think it is contemporary.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Tcneseis said:

I don't think Kralorela has tight connections with the Dara Happan Empire, notwithstanding what mythologies may imply, it's not always wise to draw inferences from it. What is believed true in the East may conflict with what is believed true in Peloria, even if both claim to know the truth. Is the solar tradition of Kralorela old? I think it is contemporary.

The Solar traditions of the East are ancient - the God Learners understood Vith and Kralori TarnGatHa as Aether, and Kralori HeenMaroun as Yelm (or possibly the Solar Emperor). Metsyla was the Phoenix Emperor, clearly a Solar figure. He is the Kralorelan equivalent of Antirius.

The God Learners, or at least the weird spin-off that became the False Dragons Ring, had more than 300 years of occupation in Kralorela, and delivering written reports to the Lhankor Mhy libraries under God Learner influence. RQ2 Companion has those snippets of the Jonstown Compendium which offer the first data about Kralorela and the Kingdom of Ignorance (which has its own quite Solar tradition).

Sheng Seleris relied on this solar common ground when he entered Boshan as a prophet after achieving his enlightenment. Later he brought Kralori administrators to lead and control the Dara Happan bureaucracy. The Kralori fit right in, and probably left quite a few descendants in allied minor houses behind.

• Like 2

Telling how it is excessive verbis

The most flexible Illumination rules are in Heroquest Glorantha, though not many concrete examples are provided.   Connecting it to the Infinity Rune + another Rune is an elegant solution, and allows for all different styles and schools of illuminants.    I'm finding it particularly useful for my Vithelan game, where the various great mystics are associated with several Runes.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tcneseis said:

The connections existed in the Golden Age.  Govmeranen has the same runes as Yelm for example.  

11 hours ago, Joerg said:

The Solar traditions of the East are ancient - the God Learners understood Vith and Kralori TarnGatHa as Aether, and Kralori HeenMaroun as Yelm (or possibly the Solar Emperor). Metsyla was the Phoenix Emperor, clearly a Solar figure. He is the Kralorelan equivalent of Antirius.

I meant that they are still alive. I think neither the God Learners nor Sheng Seleris changed them very much, but i may be wrong (see for instance, The Fortunate Succession).

8 hours ago, metcalph said:

The connections existed in the Golden Age.  Govmeranen has the same runes as Yelm for example. 

Yes, they seem basically similar, although the general approach is quite different.

• Like 1

Does Illumination even have Runes?

Nysalor is Light and, as mentioned, perhaps infinity.

Gbaji is Chaos, all the way.

Arkat is Darkness, amongst the trolls, so would not have Light, except, perhaps, as a mystical Light within Darkness thing. Other versions of Arkat have different Runes, none of which are Light.

The Lunars gain Illumination through the Moon Rune.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

15 hours ago, Tcneseis said:

Is it in Heroquest Glorantha?

The infinity rune is, but the Illumination chapter doesn't detail the cults and schools themselves.

Nysalor / Gbaji's cult is :20-sub-light::20-form-chaos::20-condition-mastery: (from upcoming GoG)

• Like 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/