THE GREEN - Magical Adventures Beneath the Canopy

Trifletraxor

Well I am sure The Green will be worth having and adding to my Libray of "printed stuff". Now the other reason I have "STOPPED" buying .pdf things is a while back I made the mistake of NOT backing up my files on a Flash or External drive and first I got a nasty virus on my pc, and then a while later my mother board and power supply croked and I lost everything on that PC. I have learned to back things up on external storage butit is alot of trouble. Plus after a person buys a .pdf, down loads it, takes it somewhere to get sudo-professionally printed and bound in a book format...it ends uup taking more space on a shelf than a printed copy and costs even more than the printed version with S&H too. To me the convience of getting a book already printed is the way to go for me. Also I take very good care of my resource libray and my books last a long time anyway.

Penn

Old time RPGer of +34 yrs, player/DM/GM.

• 3 weeks later...

I sure hope it get's printed. It is a great setting (currently getting into it to run a campaign shortly).

I actually love the inclusion of gunpowder.

However, I would like some general idea as to the relative distances on the maps, particularly the one on page 140. This is the only complaint I have: lack of scale bars.

For instance, what is the distance between Jurate and Riverstone? Or more importantly (for gaming) how long does it normally take to travel between these sites?

Thanks, I hope you enjoy it. I would sure love to hear about your adventures in the Green and how it works out for your group.

It sounds as if the book is probably at the printers now. ;t)

I agonized over the distances and the scale of the map for some time. I kept putting the final decision off. In the end I thought that I would leave it up the GM who is running the campaign as to allow them to shoehorn the Green into their own settings.

The two options that I was thinking about is that one inch = 100 miles, making the Green pretty large- a larger piece of a continent.

Or

one inch = 50 miles making the Green more claustrophobic and the cultures closer together with more interaction. I think either would work fine depending on what you prefer.

I am not sure how big the map they put in the PDF is, (as I have not bought the PDF and I am still waiting for the printed version), and I am not sure if they put the map on one or two pages in the Monograph. One inch should equal about the distance of the word “GREEN” on the Map.

If one inch equals a hundred miles then the distance between Jurate and the Riverstone is roughly 300 Miles. I think a canoe or boat should average about 20 miles per day on the river so the trip should take about 15 days. Experienced travelers paddling hard could make the trip in about 12 days. (I do not know if I mentioned it but the prevailing winds should come in from the ocean allowing boats to raise their sails on the trip up river and then lower their sails and ride the current to go back to the coast (this should allow the trip to be made a day or two shorter and not exhaust the characters so much).

but I do like your photoshopping!

Thanks, I am glad to hear that as toward the end I put a lot of time into working on the images and was not really sure how effective they were. I personally love role-playing books with a lot of pictures to wrap my imagination around.

Edited by Puck

294/420

While looking at the map I noticed I little mistake. The marker for temple grove should be further down river. It should be under the "G" in Grove. This really is a minor thing except that a scenario I was working on is located in that region.

By the way, does anyone use little markers or sets of cardboard cutouts when roleplaying? I have a number of these for the Green that I think I could put in the download sections. Long ago I used miniatures, but they are clunky and hard to transport. I started using little chits like those for the old Fantasy Trip a while ago and they work pretty well. While making the Green I took loads of images against a blue screen and they can be easily converted to a PDF, copied, and then cut out and glued to cardboard. If anyone has any use for these let me know.

294/420

Many thanks for the info! I think that each of the small squares in the large map equalling approx. 10 miles should be about right then, if I understand you correctly. I like to think in terms of kilometres, so I may change it somewhat (If I go with a smaller size, 1 square equalling 10 kilometres should give a size between the two options you mentioned).

I like using metal miniatures, but I also bought RPGs with small cardboard cutout-minis back in the day. Actually the two first RPG games I ever bought in the 80s both had cardboard cutouts (the Swedish "Drakar och Demoner" and MERP). I would love trying it again. Let us know if you make the PDF.

Cool! I've been meaning to stop by Chaosium anyway and say howdy. I'll have to see about getting a copy of this.

Please don't contact me with Chaosium questions. I'm no longer associated with the company, and have no idea what the new management is doing.

Cool! I've been meaning to stop by Chaosium anyway and say howdy. I'll have to see about getting a copy of this.

I hope you enjoy it. It must be nice to live close by where you can stop in and see the Chaosium people face to face.

Puck, The Green deserves to be a supplement. You should pitch it to Alephtar games!

Thanks, I would love to see the book done up in full color and on the book stands. Alephtar does a wonderful job. I think that this is impossible though as I sold it to Chaosium as a monograph. The only hope for a full publication is if it sells a ton of copies. I have been muddling away at trying to write a number of extentions and senarios, but the effort is not really focused. By the way, thanks again for your help and suggestions. :)

294/420

From The Green:

"THE GREEN is copyright © 2009 as a whole by Chaosium Inc. The text is copyright © 2009 by

Scott Heiney, all rights reserved."

... whatever that does mean.

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

It is just a world book. It has some ideas for scenarios, but none are fully developed.

I recieved my own copies of the Monograph just recently and must say the layout or formatting is pretty rough. :-/ People who demand perfection with such things should be warned before they buy. I just hope the material is interesting enough on its own to make the book worthwhile.

294/420

I have been working on scenarios on and off, but it will probably be some time before I have anything finished (writing scenarios is not coming easy for me). Some already existing BRP scenarios could work for it with a little tweaking( In Search of the Trollslayer and Travelers of Karang from BRP Adventures Come to mind). I also have a very rough draft of a little adventure that I was thinking about putting in the book. It touches on the more mythic/ fantastical part of the Green and is best for characters originating in the Green. If you are interested drop me a P.M.

Edited by Puck

294/420

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I just got this for Christmas and am working my way through it right now. Really excellent work Puck! I've been vaguely interested in it for a long time now but reading it blew my expectations out of the water. I'm loving it.

Puck, The Green deserves to be a supplement.

I does.

70/420

Thanks. I had kind of lost my motivation for a few months. Just recently I started working on the supplement again. I am not sure when or ever it will get done but your vote of confidence really helps and makes me think it may be worthwhile. ;t)

294/420

I'll certainly be on the look out for it. I haven't gone through all of the book yet as I'm enjoying my leisurely reading pace. I've even some hope of either working it into an ongoing campaign or doing a short one or two shot using it. :)

Edited by Chaot

70/420

With my Thule setting mostly completed, my next little project will probably be

my own version of the Tragic Millenium Europe setting from the Hawkmoon no-

vels. Since I do not want to use the plot from the novels and the locations of

that plot, I am currently looking for alternatives - and I think The Green could

very well be somewhere on Tragic Millenium Earth, or in one of Moorcock's ma-

ny dimensions of his Multiverse that can be reached from there.

I would not be surprised if some Guardians of the Kamarg would be sent to The

Green by Bowgentle, on a mission to obtain some rare ingredients for his expe-

riments, or by Count Brass, on a mission to hunt down some dangerous scientist-

sorceror from Granbretan who has his secret hideout and laboratory there ... ;)

Edit.:

By the way, I seem to miss a map of the entire Green - or I am just too stupid

to find it. :o

Edited by rust

(Charlie Chan)

By the way, I seem to miss a map of the entire Green - or I am just too stupid

to find it. :o

It's at the very back of the book, isn't it? Right before the advertisements for BRP and the Monographs ad? Or is that just a segment of the Green?

I too was thinking about using it as a dimension for my Young Kingdoms game. Alternatively, I was thinking about toning the magic down a bit, darkening up the tone a bit, and using it as a continent in a Freeport game.

70/420

It's at the very back of the book, isn't it? Right before the advertisements for BRP and the Monographs ad? Or is that just a segment of the Green?

Strange, my copy ends on page 139 with an armour table, no map,

and there is no advertisement for BRP, only for Cthulhu Invictus. :?

(Charlie Chan)