THE GREEN - Magical Adventures Beneath the Canopy

Trifletraxor

Strange, my copy ends on page 139 with an armour table, no map,

and there is no advertisement for BRP, only for Cthulhu Invictus.

That is strange. I should be able to send you the map with no problem. Just Pm me your e-mail and I will send a file.

I too was thinking about using it as a dimension for my Young Kingdoms game. Alternatively, I was thinking about toning the magic down a bit, darkening up the tone a bit, and using it as a continent in a Freeport game.

and

I think The Green could

very well be somewhere on Tragic Millenium Earth, or in one of Moorcock's ma-

ny dimensions of his Multiverse that can be reached from there.

;) This is exactly the type of thing I had in mind when I wrote it... Kind of a mutable setting that could be adjusted to fit into other game worlds. The problem is that When I try to write additional stuff for it and add people from the outside world it is hard to figure out what to do.. especially with magic.

Edited by Puck

294/420

The problem is that When I try to write additional stuff for it and add people from the outside world it is hard to figure out what to do.. especially with magic.

My completely unsolicited advice? Don't worry about it. Write for the Green that you have in your head and let other people adapt it to their play styles. Maybe toss in a few sidebars if you want to illustrate some possible ways of integrating the Green into an ongoing campaign. As a GM, I'm interested in reading your setting and then making my own changes. There's no way you can anticipate my tastes, so I don't see a reason to worry about it.

70/420

Thanks. That does help. I also often wonder about hit locations and whether I should include them. I know I use them and like it when they are included, but it is a bit of a pain to include them and it takes up space.

294/420

;) This is exactly the type of thing I had in mind when I wrote it... Kind of a mutable setting that could be adjusted to fit into other game worlds. The problem is that When I try to write additional stuff for it and add people from the outside world it is hard to figure out what to do.. especially with magic.

Well, Stuff I'd like to see would be:

Stats for some of the monsters mentioned but not statted eg: the giant carnivorous tree frogs, the giant ( and bad tempered !) turtles that lurk in the big swamp in the SE corner ( as you look at it )of the map. the jaguars and so on.

A list of which monsters from BRP core rules and Basic Monsters would be suitable for use in the Green and the appropriate kind of habitat for them.

Stats ( including weird powers and magic ) for some of the Old powers mentioned.

More details on some of the locales mentioned eg the sorcerous tower ( forget it's name ) with it's strange foreign sorcerers, so.... a map of the tower,who lives there stats blocks for the major inhabitants ,details of their weird magic and so on.

Reading through The Green it's stuffed full of intriguing and interesting references and ideas that could be fleshed out. Quite apart from scenarios there's easily two more source books worth of stuff there....

More schools of glyph magery, more totems for the goblins and primitive tribes

As Chaot said don't write for other people, write your vision of the Green and let others adapt if they want to, it's a great setting and I want to know more about it !

As regards the map : my print run has one and very nice it is too. Puck, it might be worth your while contacting Chaosium and mentioning that some books are going out without the map.

Edited by Agentorange

As regards the map : my print run has one and very nice it is too. Puck, it might be worth your while contacting Chaosium and mentioning that some books are going out without the map.

This problem seems to have been solved, meanwhile I downloaded the PDF again,

and this time it had the map on pages 140 and 141. :)

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

Well, Stuff I'd like to see would be:

Stats for some of the monsters mentioned but not statted eg: the giant carnivorous tree frogs, the giant ( and bad tempered !) turtles that lurk in the big swamp in the SE corner ( as you look at it )of the map. the jaguars and so on.

A list of which monsters from BRP core rules and Basic Monsters would be suitable for use in the Green and the appropriate kind of habitat for them.

Stats ( including weird powers and magic ) for some of the Old powers mentioned.

More details on some of the locales mentioned eg the sorcerous tower ( forget it's name ) with it's strange foreign sorcerers, so.... a map of the tower,who lives there stats blocks for the major inhabitants ,details of their weird magic and so on.

Reading through The Green it's stuffed full of intriguing and interesting references and ideas that could be fleshed out. Quite apart from scenarios there's easily two more source books worth of stuff there....

More schools of glyph magery, more totems for the goblins and primitive tribes

As Chaot said don't write for other people, write your vision of the Green and let others adapt if they want to, it's a great setting and I want to know more about it !

Thank you. This is helpful and inspires me to get off my duff and do more writing.

Almost all those things were items I originally intended to get back to. Some were things I would have put in the original, but space and time kind of squeezed them out.

Right now I am working on an extensive sand-box style adventure. I have tried to write smaller adventures, but they did not seem to mesh very well. Adventure writing is much harder for me. Hopefully when and if I get this done I will switch to more background and world building stuff you mentioned. It is much more satisfying.

I think what happened with the map issue is that I saved the map in a weird format and did not convert it to Jpg when I sent it to Chaosium. I sent the Green to them by chapter with the map file as a separate file at the end. I originally thought that they would do more editing. They may have released the initial PDF without a map. I think the dead-tree books and the present PDF have the proper maps.

Edited by Puck

294/420

Well, best of luck with it all. as you may of guessed I like The Green, makes a very refreshing change from your standard high medieval good elves, evil goblins blah blah blah setting. Back in the 80's when I first came across BRP ( in the form of RQ ) I enjoyed playing in Glorantha because it had a bronze age, wild frontier sort of feel to it. In some ways that's what attracts me to The Green. It definately gives off that edge of civilisation, keep your hand near your knife belt vibe. Even the civilised bits aren't all that far from danger and adventure.

I really liked the whole Glyph magic idea and looking at it it's easy to see where extra glyphs could be made up. Indeed when you read the explanation of Glyphs there could be hundreds. I can definately see a smithing or metal working glyph being appropriate. As for totems, again only limited by which animals the goblins and other folks choose to venerate. There's probably a whole chapter on new diseases, parasites and poisons in there.

So many of the places in the gazeteer are crying out for a fuller treatment. I like the Green because it gives you enough info to get stuck in and play a game, but nearly every page had me going " that's interesting, I wonder if there'll be info about that ? "

EDIT: Hit locations, please include them.

Edited by Agentorange
another thought !

• 2 months later...

hoy all,

i bought the pdf from rpgnow and printed it.

then ordered it (along 277 dollars of stuff) from chaosium but, BUT i never received the shipment (they first told me they shipped it in november then it was told the 12 december.. lol i ordered it the 30 october).

after a lot of mails between me and the laughable customer care at chaoisum, i got my money back.

but didnt received the shipment.

asked to do a different kind of order and they answered ok, but now i find out that THE GREEN isnt available anymore..

that really pisses me off.

anyone here know where i can buy a paper copy ?

i really want it BAD

also, PUCK go along ! give us more stuff, that setting is really totally awesome and i am planning a campaign in it !

thanks for your fantastic job

tommy

hoy all,

i bought the pdf from rpgnow and printed it.

then ordered it (along 277 dollars of stuff) from chaosium but, BUT i never received the shipment (they first told me they shipped it in november then it was told the 12 december.. lol i ordered it the 30 october).

after a lot of mails between me and the laughable customer care at chaoisum, i got my money back.

but didnt received the shipment.

asked to do a different kind of order and they answered ok, but now i find out that THE GREEN isnt available anymore..

that really pisses me off.

i really want it BAD

also, PUCK go along ! give us more stuff, that setting is really totally awesome and i am planning a campaign in it !

thanks for your fantastic job

tommy

Monographs are printed in small runs and go in and out of print pretty quickly. Wait a few weeks and it should be back in stock.

Right now, they're typically only available in print through Chaosium's site. Some are available from Leisure Games periodically. But they don't enter the traditional distribution chain. You can check ebay and second-hand venues such as nobleknight, but they'll only be available is somebody else has sold their copy.

i really want it BAD

I think Cjbowser is right, even my favourite and usually quite well stocked online

shop has only the BRP books with colour covers (Celestial Empire, Laundry, Rome,

etc.), but none of the monographs. :(

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

I do not know anything more than anybody else does, but it looks like a number of Monographs seem to have run short on the printed copies. I sure hope they decide to print more.

Thanks for the interest and support.

I am chunking along on the second Green release. Most of the basic writing is done. I just have a lot of heavy editing, rewriting, formatting and images to do. Unfortunately, these are usually the most time-consuming parts.

294/420

I am chunking along on the second Green release. Most of the basic writing is done. I just have a lot of heavy editing, rewriting, formatting and images to do. Unfortunately, these are usually the most time-consuming parts.

Happiness! Can't wait!

70/420

Thanks for the support. ;t) Now I really need to stop procrastinating and get myself busy.

also, i will do some work for the green in the next future, and if you want it i can mail it to you if you are interested

Yes, I am very interested. What is it? Adventures... other background stuff ?

294/420

• 5 weeks later...

both :) mostly adventures in the first phase (i will try to play native characters) and then develop some "outer areas" to define the surroundings. i am going to submit the project to my players tomorrow night and see what they think about. will let you know :)

• 2 months later...

Well, I'm on a short vacation. These trips always include some books stowed along for deeper perusal. Amongst those books I usually get alround to one or two. The Green seems to be the lucky winner this trip.

As I mentioned before, I'm thinking of using The Green for a Freeport game. But that's rather an inaccurate description. It's more a meshed world that happens to have Freeport in it.

Regardless, I'm currently combing through the book, making notes and connections. Puck has made himself very available through the boards. Sometimes though it's fun to hear the opinion of someone who didn't write the book but greatly enjoys it.

Ask me anything you want.

And a question for Puck, in the story of Adoss he is often refered to as Badoss. Im curious if this is intentional.

70/420

And a question for Puck, in the story of Adoss he is often referred to as Badoss. Im curious if this is intentional.

Whoops. They should all be Adoss. The story behind that is that Adoss was loosely based on a character a friend of mine ran back in the 80's with RQ 3...... probably the longest lasting most successful role playing I ever experienced. The characters name was B'dass; a play on "bad ass". I kept changing the name while I was writing the Green but must have missed a few.

294/420

both mostly adventures in the first phase (i will try to play native characters) and then develop some "outer areas" to define the surroundings. i am going to submit the project to my players tomorrow night and see what they think about. will let you know

How did it go?

294/420

I kept changing the name while I was writing the Green but must have missed a few.

To me it read either like either two merged myths or a hero that underwent a name change similar to Saul/Paul or Paul Muad'dib. Especially as the cult of Adoss has at least two aspects to it; the hunter and the traveler. It's handy that it's also about the merging point of two cultures.

By the by, my original intention was to post a sort of review of the book. The holiday weekend turned to family fun. I imagine the 'ask me questions' bit of my post looks odd without the review, but such is life. I shall get to posting it when I have a chance.

70/420

Another one I picked up for Father Dagon's Day! The Green is excellent. The setting is very inspiring, reminding me of the "Lost World" adventure novels of Burroughs. The magic system is excellent. I like the "schools" of magic and skill levels per school rather than skill per spell. This should be the standard for all BRP games using "magic" to avoid skill bloat. The ecology of the Green is very interesting. Monsters run from dinosaurs through mamalian Megafauna along with some interesting 'chaos' creatures. The book is laid out professionally and has good art work. I'd love to see a few scenarios for this world as a future monograph or incorporated into a full blown publication:)

Wow! Thank You. I am glad you enjoyed it. Much of what you said was exactly what I was aiming for. I have been working on an adventure for the Green called Drums Along the Frogtoe. It is a sandbox style adventure that has bloated into something much bigger than I originally intended. Unfortunately it is coming along very slowly.

294/420

• 5 months later...

I just got this, its looks awesome. I plan on dropping it into my own Masters of M'theria campaign very soon. Thanks for a great monograph.

Thanks, I hope you have a great time with it. :)

"Masters of M'theria campaign", What is this? I would be interested to see how you plan on attaching the Green to other Campaign worlds.

294/420