THE GREEN - Magical Adventures Beneath the Canopy

Trifletraxor

I finally got around to purchasing a copy of The Green, and all I can say is 'Wow!' This monograph is excellent, a very highly detailed fantasy setting, this would certainly appeal to old RQ3 and to recent BRP BGB fans looking for a fantasy setting to sink their teeth in.

If I end up running Magic World before then, The Green is STILL in, no doubt

Thank you very much. It always fires me up to work on the setting more when I hear stuff like this.

I would really love to see Chaosium support it with a fully published line, its got so much potential.

I would love to see that happen too but, unfortunately, I doubt that it will happen . I would be happy just to see the Drums Along the Frogtoe Supplement be released. I submitted last winter and have been biting by nails in anticipation ever since. I am now trying to write a bunch of stuff based on the Sable River, but it is quit long and may be a while before I can get it finished.

Honestly, if you like hit locations I say keep supplying them. I know a lot of other BRPers are probably really grateful to see them supported and it's easy for me to just sub major wounds and random armor.

I think I will, even if it takes more space and time. I personally love supplements that include detailed characters with hit location that can be used and re-used. Even if I did not run whole campaigns I often would borrow and re-use pre-made characters from various other sources.

It's been a while since I read the book and I couldn't remember if you had created some sort of unholy amalgam of the two. Something like doubling hit point locations but having a major wound when total hit points lost equaled half the character's Con or something like that

You know, I have thought about experimenting with something like this for home games, but I do not know if I ever discussed it. I think it went something like

1. Using normal hit points

2. Locations for armor purposes,

3.All locations have 1/2 hit points used with major wound consequences.

I guess it would resemble Warhammer a little.

Edited by Puck

294/420

I would love to see that happen too but, unfortunately, I doubt that it will happen . I would be happy just to see the Drums Along the Frogtoe Supplement be released. I submitted last winter and have been biting by nails in anticipation ever since. I am now trying to write a bunch of stuff based on the Sable River, but it is quit long and may be a while before I can get it finished.

I've always felt The Green would be worthy of an official release...but then I'm a bit of a fanboy. Lets hope Drums along the Frogtoe gets published. I'm a bit hazy on the whole Chaosium licensing policy, could you do a POD via Lulu or something similiar ?

• 4 weeks later...

That's a really nice looking full-coloured map. You've created a great setting with The Green, I figured this may be one of those monographs that Chaosium would expand upon, or perhaps work in with the upcoming MagicWorld to create a great 'official' sandbox fantasy setting for Chaosium now that Glorantha and The Young Kingdoms are in others' hands. I love the localised feel of the region, and now here's a great looking map to show my players if we decided to game with this setting

Thanks for posting!

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

Thanks again. I have a lot of fun working on the setting and it is great to know that people like and use the stuff. I would also love to work collaboratively with any of the other projects or see the Green go into a full supported setting. Of course I have not seen Magic World so I am not sure how well the two would work together, but it would be great to fold the Green into any of the bigger d100 projects going. The Green started on this website as just a part of a larger idea pool where worlds different authors created could connect and be used with one another, It was a lot of fun working that way.

294/420

• 7 months later...

It sounds like Drums Along the Frogtoe, a supplement for the Green, is about ready to be released. Nick said that It went to the printers about a week ago. It is a sandbox or module style campaign with lots of mini-adventures and encounters that can used individually or tied together to make a full campaign. It is Green specific but is hopefully a mine of ideas for any other fantasy-type game.

294/420

• 9 months later...

Drums Along the Frogtoe will not be released as a monograph after all. Instead it is now a free download. You can get it here:

http://basicroleplaying.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=555

and

http://basicroleplaying.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=556

It was too big so I had to split it into two separate downloads.

Thanks Puck!!!:)

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

"D100 - Exactly 5 times better than D20"

This looks great Puck. Thanks.

The Green is one of the hidden gems of BRP-fantasy, and fantasy in general.

Am I the only one that find the fact that Chaosium shut their eyes and run away when the gift horse opens its' mouth slightly discomforting?

Thank you for the gift. Too bad that the limited staff at Chaosium couldn't find the time between putting out new version of HotOE, CoC7e and all the KS rewards that they've already been paid for to fit in this superb piece of work.

Nigel

Wow, for a free download, this is brilliant.

Could have easily been a monograph that many would have paid for. I certainly would have paid for it.

I also feel that The Green could have been a great opportunity for Chaosium to have an immersive fantasy setting.

Thank you for putting it here for general use, I really love the setting and how BRP works within in.

Great stuff!

Edited by Mankcam

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

Thanks Puck. I liked what I saw so I went and purchased the pdf of The Green from Chaosium (downloading as I write this).

I think a lot of the authors of the monographs have found Chaosium's lack of follow-up frustrating. Publishing errata, second editions or supplementary material has been fraught for a number of monographs I've acquired. Various people seem to have found different solutions, sometimes finding another publisher (eg. Classic Fantasy), or giving stuff away (eg. you, or Swords of Cydoria), or just giving up. I don't have any answers to this recurring problem though.

• 1 month later...

Puck,

We started our Drums campaign last week.   Obviously I've made a few house rule changes including some new Glyphs (a like the way your magic works) and a religion for the players -- who are all Outworlders.  Any way my group moves fairly slow but I'll drop in and let you know how it is going. 

Andrew

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I do not think anyone ever wrote up an official review.  The Green is basically a world or campaign book set in a rich forest/ jungle region. It details a number of indigenous cultures, their motivations and their unique magics as well as a new monster section and plenty ideas to fill up a large campaign.  It was designed to be as portable as possible where it could fold into existing game worlds.    I think you can get a pretty good idea of what is going on by reading this thread.  Here are several free downloads that should give you an feel for the setting: 

http://basicroleplaying.org/files/category/60-the-green/

294/420

Thanks for the links. I read with interest the publishing saga with Chaosium and your ultimate decision to release the Drums along the Frogtoe as a free release. Although I am very happy and grateful to read such a well designed publication for free, it seems such a shame that Chaosium didn't support this project and let you continue to develop it commercially.

Have you considered rolling Frogtoe into an enhanced second edition and publishing it with one of the other BRP publishers? After all, Chronicles of Future Earth is getting a second edition at MindJammer and Classic Fantasy has found a new home and second edition at The Design Mechanism.