Corsairs of Cthulhu: Fighting Mythos in the Golden Age of Piracy

Spence

So I saw this mentioned in another thread and went to kickstarter to read about it.

Does anyone have any real info on this?  Mostly about content.

I have been burned by products purporting to be about ships and the sea and then get ones that throw some terms around but basically give a 6 years olds rendition of the ships and sea part.  CoC doesn't really have anything for Age of Sail so I am hoping this will maybe be something.   But before I back it, I need to know something about it. 

I contacted Spence via PM and gave him my opinion a few days ago. But, he didn't like my opinion and proceeded to badger me. I guess that translates to "no one has an opinion." 😐

Edited by klecser
  • Like 3

I think it is very interesting.

Pirates are always uhh shiny cool, but apart from that I think it has merit on other accounts. 

The ship/corsair aspect is also useful in Dreamlands setting.

My biggest concern atm is the art. I'm not a fan of the majority displayed so far. It's a minor issue though, I'm in it primarily for the rules.

• Like 2

I'm sure it will turn out to be a very nice product, and I wish the developers phenomenal success, but for my money the sailing role playing game to beat, leaving tentacles entirely to one side, is still the Privateers and Gentlemen/Heart of Oak rules set published all the way back in the 1980's. On the sailing side and on the cultural side, since Late Stuart and Early Hannoverian period isn't familiar as an RPG topic for most of us, that is the target the kickstart writers have to meet to my way of thinking.  In that game everyone has to think about how a ship actually moves in wind to be successful and that is a deal of the roleplaying flavor.  Otherwise you just have some very damp tentacles, and we've seen it.  I have toyed with the idea of using Privateers and Gentlemen as an engine for CoC play in the early Republic (think Barbary Pirates meet Tentacles).  My players remain wary that everything I run involves tentacles at some point. I can't curb it, I dunno why.

The authors of Privateers and etc. had the sailing ship side of it down and rules for that to the extent that those rules alone were very popular as a miniature wargaming rules set simply for the naval combat side of it.  What Privateers and Gentlemen did NOT do (despite advertisement) was to extend the role-playing and ship sailing aspects back to the period before 1750 that the Kickstarter rules seem to cover.

So, tentacles still to one side again, if the authors of this project can devise the naval combat side and the sailing side as well as the roleplaying side, it will be a welcome addition simply for that alone.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, wombat1 said:

I'm sure it will turn out to be a very nice product, and I wish the developers phenomenal success, but for my money the sailing role playing game to beat, leaving tentacles entirely to one side, is still the Privateers and Gentlemen/Heart of Oak rules set published all the way back in the 1980's. On the sailing side and on the cultural side, since Late Stuart and Early Hannoverian period isn't familiar as an RPG topic for most of us, that is the target the kickstart writers have to meet to my way of thinking.  In that game everyone has to think about how a ship actually moves in wind to be successful and that is a deal of the roleplaying flavor.

I really appreciate references to games of the past that people really liked. The core box set rules are available by the original author on DTRPG!

I hear what you say about sailing realism in games. And I don't begrudge anyone a target for enjoyment. If sailing realism is a target for people, I really doubt that the New Comet Games product is going to have that. 

• 8 months later...

I know that I am a little late to the party, but I play tested Corsairs with Ben Burns and while we the pirating/sailing game mechanics were present, we focused mostly on a land-based (if not soggy) portion of the adventure. For folks who say that the publisher is hard to get ahold of, New Comet Games has a Discord server and Ben is active and responsive. https://discord.com/channels/437024482549563404/437024482549563407