Here's a random one - what do you think a plinth with spirit, beast, and harmony runes might signify?

ffilz

In doing some just in time prep (aka making random rolls while the players sit across the screen waiting), I rolled three random runes marked on a plinth and got Spirit, Beast, and Harmony. Among my RQ2 cults they don't match any cult (didn't pore through the RQ3 stuff). Do these runes happen to match any cults? If not, does anyone have any ideas what they might signify? Oh, and for a bit more information and excitement, the plinth is next to a small Thanatar temple in a ruin in the Big Rubble...

And on a related note, someone posted somewhere (here, Facebook? MeWe) about a Thanatar Johnstown Compendium thing they were working on and I can't find the reference anymore...

It makes me think of Waha the Butcher or Foundchild, and what happens to the spirit of the butchered beast after receiving the Peaceful Cut.

The proximity of a Thanatar shrine nearby is a marked contrast or contradiction of this principle.

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

Spirit and Harmony imply community and reasonably friendly relations with the spirit. Beast, especially in a Praxian context, strongly implies a native beast spirit that deserves worship. The lack of the Man rune implies that it could be almost any beast spirit that deserves the worship of sentient beings capable of constructing the plinth. So......

Could be a devotional site for a Praxian Beast Rider tribe to contact their Founding spirit [Grandfather/mother High Llama, for one example].

Alternately you could take a page out of Biturian Varosh's travels have have it be a focus point for Grandfather Baboon.

If you want to really write your own script without a lot of canon interference, you could make it one of the smaller Lesser Tribes. Bolo Lizard or Basmoli Lion people  would work. If you use Basmol, remember that this spirit is dead. But that doesn't mean the plinth isn't the site of sacred remembrance devotions.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ffilz said:

And on a related note, someone posted somewhere (here, Facebook? MeWe) about a Thanatar Johnstown Compendium thing they were working on and I can't find the reference anymore...

The Temple of Heads should be coming out within the next two weeks. I am churning through the Layout now and the cover art should be done within a week or so.

6 hours ago, ffilz said:

I rolled three random runes marked on a plinth and got Spirit, Beast, and Harmony.

That sounds like the sort of thing you would get in Beast Valley.

Is there a small Beast Valley enclave in the Big Rubble? Maybe somewhere where the Centaurs and Minotaurs can meet in relative safety? Or maybe there was but it has been lost, until it has now been found.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

On 5/1/2021 at 3:02 AM, soltakss said:

The Temple of Heads should be coming out within the next two weeks. I am churning through the Layout now and the cover art should be done within a week or so.

That sounds like the sort of thing you would get in Beast Valley.

Is there a small Beast Valley enclave in the Big Rubble? Maybe somewhere where the Centaurs and Minotaurs can meet in relative safety? Or maybe there was but it has been lost, until it has now been found.

Oh, that might explain the minotaurs in the building across the "street" from the Thanatar temple...

Thanks for the help, I think I can make it make sense now...

On 5/1/2021 at 1:28 PM, ffilz said:

In doing some just in time prep (aka making random rolls while the players sit across the screen waiting), I rolled three random runes marked on a plinth and got Spirit, Beast, and Harmony. Among my RQ2 cults they don't match any cult (didn't pore through the RQ3 stuff). Do these runes happen to match any cults? If not, does anyone have any ideas what they might signify? Oh, and for a bit more information and excitement, the plinth is next to a small Thanatar temple in a ruin in the Big Rubble...

Here are some suggestions:

A ceremonial destination for magisaur shamanic initiations.

The home of a species of singing toad that teaches the Harmonize spirit magic spell

A Chalana Arroy (sorcerous) Veterinary station marker from Old City days.  It served as a place to corral sick animals so AoE healing spells would work on them.

A somewhat forgotten Foundchild/Brother Dog shrine, now in disuse, but occasionally re-activated by Praxian tribes when hiding in the Rubble.

It once marked the shopfront of a place that sold premium "Bespoke bred" animals for Rune levels to bind their allied spirits into, called Falinar's Finest Familiars.

It was an old corner marker for a long since defunct market spell, and was once a place to buy live and dead poultry and birds.  The other markers are long since smashed or utterly defaced.

It is a trap of sorts, that causes Eiritha beasts to fall into a deep slumber, allowing them to be butchered more easily.  It comes from Robcradle days, and was used by Godlearners working on balls of tails.

It marks a place where dragonewts come to dress up in animal skins and dance odd glissading minuets with ribbons, leather cords, and ropes, using the plinth as a maypole.  The ritual is used to help guide the spirits of dragonewts who have become dinosaurs back onto the Dragon Path (if you must know).