"One of the best RuneQuest adventures ever" - RPG historian Shannon Appelcline gives high praise to Jonstown Compendium community content title

MOB

While we at Chaosium are of course pleased to see our official releases receiving postive reviews, it's positively delightful to see releases by independent creators in our community content programs at DriveThruRPG getting critical acclaim too!

For example, RPG historian Shannon Appelcline – who knows a thing or two about RPGs – says Andrew Logan Montgomery's Jonstown Compendium release Six Seasons in Sartar is "One of the best RuneQuest adventures ever." How's that for high praise?

Shannon's whole review is worth reading, and a testament to the quality of the material in our community content programs being produced by independent creators:

180505516_10226155585939660_1838392820898602698_n.thumb.jpeg.2c3416849f40cbb790a510f3410635ff.jpeg

And Andrew's recently-released sequel to Six Seasons in Sartar, The Company of Dragon, has racked up similar high praise from RuneQuest fans.

More recent praise of many other Chaosium community content titles here!

mr-jc-dtrpg-logos-3-.thumb.png.c60e307de3b2ed19f9d4bed908a2f02d.png

CHECK OUT THESE COMMUNITY CONTENT TITLES AND MANY MORE IN THE 
MISKATONIC REPOSITORY (CALL OF CTHULHU)
AND JONSTOWN COMPENDIUM (RUNEQUEST)
AT DRIVETHRURPG!

Edited by MOB
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, klecser said:

Would Six Seasons in Sartar be a good read for new players to understand cultural interactions in Glorantha and the basic logic/execution of Heroquesting?

YES.

The first chapter explains how the Haraborn Clan works (pages 7-19). The third chapter is all about Heroquesting (pages 29-33), followed by two initiation heroquests (The Riddle, pages 34-45, and Rites of Passage, pages 46-64). One of the Episodes is a generic template for heroquests (pages 128-132). There are pivotal encounters with Lunars (Chapter 7) and Lunarised Sartarites (Chapter 10), which are all about cultural interactions. The book is exactly what you're asking for, and it assumes no previous knowledge.

Edited by Nick Brooke

1 hour ago, Nick Brooke said:

YES.

The first chapter explains how the Haraborn Clan works (pages 7-19). The third chapter is all about Heroquesting (pages 29-33), followed by two initiation heroquests (The Riddle, pages 34-45, and Rites of Passage, pages 46-64). One of the Episodes is a generic template for heroquests (pages 128-132). There are pivotal encounters with Lunars (Chapter 7) and Lunarised Sartarites (Chapter 10), which are all about cultural interactions. The book is exactly what you're asking for, and it assumes no previous knowledge.

Well, I guess I'll just have to buy it then. 😜 Thanks Nick!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, klecser said:

Would Six Seasons in Sartar be a good read for new players to understand cultural interactions in Glorantha and the basic logic/execution of Heroquesting?

And I will strongly second Nick's YES!

It really allow players to start very simply by getting introduced to the clan, magic and the gods (through their initiation), and proceeding to create notable conflicts and difficulties in their relatively isolated world-view.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, klecser said:

I am planning on using Six Seasons in Sartar to introduce my Monday Night Group to Glorantha precisely because I think it's fantastic "for new players to understand cultural interactions in Glorantha and the basic logic/execution of Heroquesting?"

It is a fantastic piece of work and can't wait to share it with my players.

• Like 2

"But Pendragon isn’t intended to be historical, just fun.
So have fun."

-- Greg Stafford

The descriptions of the initiation rites alone are worth it. The sort of thing that really evokes what RQ is about, and how players get attached to the setting.

If I GMed it, I'd probably want to do quite a bit of party splitting, just so each player's experience is different and "unique".

I want to add: The structure of Six Seasons is, I think, its core brilliance. For people who want to get into the tribal/anthro/cultural stuff I can't think of a better story spine than young members of a society transitioning from childhood to adulthood. The player characters are finding their way in their culture and among their gods just as the players are learning about the Orlanthi and their religion. It is a perfect opportunity for the GM and the players to find their way into the setting as bits of information are doled out as the characters learn more.

It is also a terrific way for the folks at the table to discover how their Glorantha will vary. "Well, this is how Orlanth's aid worked in this situation..." or "This is how this spell works here..." as the characters interact with magic for the first time.

I know that lots of folks have no interest in playing deep into the culture of Glorantha, and so this module might not be for them. (And since Glorantha supports many styles of story and play, that's great!) But for those who want exactly this, I think the story spine Montgomery built is really, really smart.

"But Pendragon isn’t intended to be historical, just fun.
So have fun."

-- Greg Stafford