Atalan Game Update

svensson

Big day today.

In a couple hours I'll have the girls over and run them through combat [nothing too vicious, just a wolf apiece] and then the big discussion /choice.

a] Do you want to keep playing? All indications say 'yes' [insert Happy Uncle face here]

b] What milieux do you want to play in? The choices are:

-- 1. Continue with the pseudo-Atlantis 'Atalan' thing we've started

-- 2. A historical setting? I have sources for Vikings and Samurai, can do Crusades very easily, open to other ideas. This would be Low Magic

-- 3. RQG straight out of the book?

-- 4. Another classic fantasy setting? I have most of the parts to put together an RQ Middle Earth game.

And Aunt E and I have to figure out everybody's favorite colors so we can buy them their own personal set of dice 😊

Nothing like sharing your favorite obsession with family... lol!

• Like 8

Results.

A quick definition... the way I run animals is a four tier system assuming that said animal has a reasonable aggressiveness in the natural world. I classify them as Young, Adult, Advanced, and 'Dire'. By 'advanced' I mean that the animal is larger and more experienced than the average - pack alphas for example - and by 'dire' I mean that they're larger, much more aggressive and more combat capable than the typical adult of the species.

The encounter was two Advanced wolves and 2 Adults.

The PC group is armed with spears and shields, with some odd pieces of armor otherwise. Not 'tanked up' by any stretch, but reasonable when you consider the whole shipwreck scenario. Furthermore, when they searched the ship they either failed their Search rolls or buggered up the CON check to keep from drowning. Either way, they didn't much in the way of higher end weapons and armors.

And it *still* only took the PCs 4 rounds to dispose of the wolves. What can I say? Two of the PC's hit legitimate criticals and the wolves blew their dodge rolls.

So the fight took a lot less time than I thought it would, but seemed to be enough to teach the PC's that combat is not entered into lightly and the importance of buff spells if you have any. Mission accomplished on that score.

This left a fair amount of time to discuss what we wanted to do from here.

Well, it seems that Uncle Carl has himself some work to do. They're having fun and want to continue the Atalan milieu. [Insert Very Happy Uncle Face]

So in the next two weeks I have to figure out character generation with RQG as it applies to Atalan culture, crank out 2-4 cults [one PC wants to be a temple-raised child of priests], figure out where in the 'world' they are, what cultures I want to introduce them to next and plot out the next adventure.

So... workee-workee

Edited by svensson
  • Like 2

On 5/1/2021 at 10:02 PM, svensson said:

a] Do you want to keep playing? All indications say 'yes' [insert Happy Uncle face here]

It was a major factor when my wife and I decided to have kids, and, 10 years on, it’s seemed to have worked; the campaigns a year-and-a-half old, and going great guns.

On 5/1/2021 at 10:02 PM, svensson said:

-- 3. RQG straight out of the book?

Our kids (10 and 8 now) love Glorantha, and they love the gods and cults, so that’s worked really well for them. 

And it works for me as well, because I’ve little spare time, the setting and rules for RuneQuest in Glorantha are so vivid and alive, the scenarios just write themselves, and keeping the campaign ticking over is low effort.

• Like 2

On 5/4/2021 at 1:16 AM, Stephen L said:

It was a major factor when my wife and I decided to have kids, and, 10 years on, it’s seemed to have worked; the campaigns a year-and-a-half old, and going great guns.

Our kids (10 and 8 now) love Glorantha, and they love the gods and cults, so that’s worked really well for them. 

And it works for me as well, because I’ve little spare time, the setting and rules for RuneQuest in Glorantha are so vivid and alive, the scenarios just write themselves, and keeping the campaign ticking over is low effort.

My nieces have had very little exposure to role playing. When I introduced the idea of teaching them the game, I thought I'd throw them a 'softball' so to speak, and let them pick the fantasy genre they wanted. I figured it would be Lord of the Rings or Game of Thrones and I had enough info to knock together a 'by-guess-and-by-golly' version of it, at least enough to teach them the game rules. But they surprised the Hell out of me. The oldest grand-niece is into the Percy Jackson and the Olympians young adult novels [she's 13 or so], so they wanted to do 'something like that'... So I gave Atlantis a try. They enjoyed that for the three session we've played so far, which led to my top post of 'where do you want to go from here'.

I explained that with the Atalan setting, we'd be making it up as we go, whereas with other choices there'd be a lot of supporting material. But they really like the idea of helping me build a world and that's the one they picked.

Yeah, it's gratifying and a lot of fun. But I have to be really careful about curating the images I use for illustrations. I really want to avoid the whole 'Red Sonja' chainmail bikini thing. In that sense, Game of Thrones would have actually been easier, for all the nudity in it. At least the women's armor is actually armor instead of lingerie with rivets in it.

Edited by svensson
  • Like 1