Where is this from in Glorantha - Sorceress' Toolkit

simonh

I just came across this wonderful little collection of magical symbols, trinkets and idols found in Pompeii a few years ago. Do flick through the little gallery of photos at the bottom, it has some wonderful closeups of some of the tiny pieces.

http://pompeiisites.org/en/press-releases/the-luck-and-the-protection-against-the-bad-fate-in-the-jewelery-of-regio-v/

sorceress_toolkit.jpg

Edited by simonh
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Check out the Runequest Glorantha Wiki for RQ links and resources. Any updates or contributions welcome!

• simonh changed the title to Where is this from in Glorantha - Sorceress' Toolkit

A find like that would be from a sea port or major trading hub where charms from far away would be available. For Nochet I see troll scarabs, Islander sea-shells, Caladraland amethyst, Earth-cult copper, jade and terracotta, Storm and Lunar silver and bronze, solar gold.

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

My question would be, who's adventurer doesn't carry a tiny figure of their god, tiny charms to ward off chaos, the protective charm their mum gave them against Mallia and some kind of fertility symbols to aid in meeting members of the opposite sex?

Orlanth.jpeg.9ad7a2073a72fb4c5b4fbb01a7e1f5ec.jpeg695950437_Screenshot2021-05-05at17_54_49.png.78d30dc4d589a4d1a21e9434053e0f72.pngMalia.jpg.ff469e13896de91ee2124d147368a7c8.jpg1229887009_Screenshot2021-05-05at17_46_42.png.017e73c1bea4ee4857690b98c3e29a07.png

If you like this kind of stuff, my go to book (amongst others) is Amulets: Sacred Charms of Power and Protection (ISBN 1594770255) by Sheila Paine.

A1T5kV9BgcL.thumb.jpg.0a7e7f0badf1f70ad78ad375d1efbd51.jpg

It's got glossy photos.

• Like 4

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

11 minutes ago, David Scott said:

My question would be, who's adventurer doesn't carry a tiny figure of their god, tiny charms to ward off chaos, the protective charm their mum gave them against Mallia and some kind of fertility symbols to aid in meeting members of the opposite sex?

Pretty much everybody's character doesn't, because "if it isn't on the character sheet, it doesn't exist in the game!" (anonymous GM)

Which is weird because RQG has a mechanic for granting augments, at least using runes, passions, or skills. Why not items, or items as focus for passions, skills, etc (increasing the chance to succeed in augmenting the skill actually used)?

The other thing any anonymous GM would ask is "how much silver does your character spend on this?"

Sounds like a JTC product waiting to be written (and lavishly illustrated).

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, David Scott said:

Most of mine do not, alas and I am not sure about the shaman... @Nozbat, I’m looking at you!

28 minutes ago, David Scott said:

Seeing as one should never cross streams, I won’t. Have not heard similar axioms of crossing threads so... is that kinka like, there are no atheists in foxholes?

Edited by Bill the barbarian

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

46 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Most of mine do not, alas and I am not sure about the shaman... @Nozbat, I’m looking at you

Look at my character sheet, Boss... it's all there ...small statuettes of ancestors and animals (worth 25L.. which is 71% of my annual salary)

1 hour ago, Joerg said:

The other thing any anonymous GM would ask is "how much silver does your character spend on this?"

So its there... and the cost.. just in case

1 hour ago, Joerg said:

Pretty much everybody's character doesn't, because "if it isn't on the character sheet, it doesn't exist in the game!" (anonymous GM)

I'm not sure the GM is that anonymous... at least not to you and me... though maybe it's said be every GM 

1 hour ago, Oracle said:

My first thought was: Aren't these more a Shaman's tools than the tools of a sorceress?

Sorceress comes to us, via French Sorcieress, from Sortiaria which is Latin for "one who casts lots", so it's actually pretty appropriate in this case. Seer/ess has a very closely related derivation.

Edited by simonh

Check out the Runequest Glorantha Wiki for RQ links and resources. Any updates or contributions welcome!

12 minutes ago, Nozbat said:

I'm not sure the GM is that anonymous... at least not to you and me... though maybe it's said be every GM 

Rest assured that the quote about stuff not being on the sheet was from someone else here on the forum. I may be dancing around on a mountain in a thunderstorm wearing a metal armor, but I am not cursing Orlanth while doing so.

Edited by Joerg
the price of javelins
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Joerg said:

Rest assured that the quote about stuff not being on the sheet was from someone else here on the forum. I may be dancing around on a mountain in a thunderstorm wearing a metal armor, but I am not cursing Orlanth while doing so.

Or cursing @Bill the barbarian... consider the case of  Kalfrik the Adequate... hit by lightening... bitten by a poisonous snake.. eaten by montain lions ..sacrificed by painted broo masquerading as a travelling cow salespersons... chucked off a cliff by a wandering giant...and all for suggesting that there might have been a small discrepancy ...

• Sad 2

15 hours ago, Joerg said:

Which is weird because RQG has a mechanic for granting augments, at least using runes, passions, or skills. Why not items, or items as focus for passions, skills, etc (increasing the chance to succeed in augmenting the skill actually used)?

These are actually the items that some Runes and Passions would be based around. 

15 hours ago, Joerg said:

Most of these items have no cost:

• a tiny figure of their god. Free from the temple. Made by an initiate who likes clay and paint (Devotion Orlanth)
  • tiny charms to ward off chaos. Is actually a piece of stone worn smooth by the river glued to a bit of broken lunar jewellery. (Hate Chaos)
  • the protective charm their mum gave them against Mallia. A hag stone found years ago by a family member (reminds you of your mum - Love Family)
  • some kind of fertility symbols to aid in meeting members of the opposite sex? Given to you as part of a private worship ritual at the temple of Uleria (you did pay for the ritual).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

15 hours ago, Oracle said:

My first thought was: Aren't these more a Shaman's tools than the tools of a sorceress?

These are too small to be the tools of a shaman, as well as missing the most important items: Drum, rattle, maybe a fan, maybe something to burn things in. A shaman's tools - stones, animal parts, plant parts, etc, tend to be larger so they are visible to the other participants and easier to handle when in a trance. I'm not discounting that a shaman would have these on their person, just not as tools.

I would say the same for sorcerers. We don't really know what items Glorantha sorcerers need as tools, but as literacy is important, writing tools, inscribed items, magic matrixes, etc seem sensible. Along with powders, liquids, exotic ingredients, geometric crystals, etc.

-----

25 minutes ago, David Scott said:

A shaman's tools - stones, animal parts, plant parts, etc, tend to be larger so they are visible to the other participants and easier to handle when in a trance.

You mean like this? It's about a foot across. Genevieve bought it in a thrift shop a few days ago. I've not yet found any evidence of her worshiping it yet. Wrong material for a shamanic totem though I suppose.

IMG_0699.JPG

Edited by simonh
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, simonh said:

You mean like this? It's about a foot across. Genevieve bought it in a thrift shop a few days ago.

Wow!

I've not yet found any evidence of her worshiping it yet.

It likely doesn't need worshipping, it just attracts the right kind of spirits.

Wrong material for a shamanic totem though I suppose.

1 hour ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

This is a bit prejudiced of course, but the fact that the cattle skull is made of metal gives me more theist than shaman vibes.

Metal is very appropriate for many shaman. Many of their outfits are covered in iron or other pieces of metal.

This article covers a lot of metal cover shaman outfits: http://www.3worlds.co.uk/Articles/Coat-of-Power.pdf

2.jpg

Yakut shaman with metal front piece

Solon1a.JPG

• Like 2

-----

11 hours ago, David Scott said:
  • the protective charm their mum gave them against Mallia. A hag stone found years ago by a family member (reminds you of your mum - Love Family)

It's been a fertile season for insight but this is the hottest thing I've seen all week. The charm uses Love Family to augment my defense against disease spirits. And these augments are theoretically transferrable if the right passions are in play . . . tie a ribbon to the lance, wear the wyter's favorite hat.

• Like 3

singer sing me a given

3 hours ago, scott-martin said:

It's been a fertile season for insight but this is the hottest thing I've seen all week. The charm uses Love Family to augment my defense against disease spirits. And these augments are theoretically transferrable if the right passions are in play . . . tie a ribbon to the lance, wear the wyter's favorite hat.

cor what's the wyter's favorite hat look like I need to know

• Thanks 2