soltakss

I enjoyed Sherlock Holmes a lot. I was and still am afraid Avatar may annoy me more than it will entertain me and so we decided to go see Holmes instead. Since I am far from a CGI fetishist, to "go for the eye candy and leave your brain at home" is not as easy an option as it may be for others. Last but not least, the Na'vi are too elf-like to my taste and I hate elves.

RPGbericht (Dutch)

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last but not least, the Na'vi are too elf-like to my taste and I hate elves.

Elves the size of Great Trolls shooting arrows the size of javelins and flying on giant beasties - what's not to like?

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

From an RPG point of view Avatar is a mix of Hard SF & Space Opera elements.

Hard SF

1. Explicitly STL travel

2. Spaceship is zero-G

3. Weapons are plausible developments of current weapons

4. Planet has varied ecosystem

5. The natives have different cultures

6. Exploration with created bodies

Space Opera

1. Trees linked in a planetwide network

2. FLOATING MOUNTAINS!

3. Deadly animals at every corner

Is the ecology of Pandora naturally created, or has there been outside interference. Such interference could be behind the Tree network and the compatibility of the Human and Nau'vi DNA.

From an RPG point of view Avatar is a mix of Hard SF & Space Opera elements.

1. Explicitly STL travel

Was it explicit? It clearly took a long time, but a "slow" FTL travel could do that depending on the distance (10x speed of light still takes years if you're anything but pretty close, for example).

I must admit I rather enjoyed it, admittedly after about 10 minutes I felt I could have outlined the remainder of the plot on the back of a napkin with a fair degree of accuracy ( and I was right ;D ) but apart from that I really enjoyed it.

One thing I want to know. You know near the end just before the big battle when the naboo..er ...that is: na'vi are clinging to the sides of the flying mountains whilst the fleet of VSTOL craft are flying beneath them ? Instead of swooping down and getting the shit shot out of them....why didn't they just drop big rocks into the rotor blades ?

Because those darned rocks float and won't drop!

But, yes, they didn't seem to have the best tactics against the aircraft. That's why it would make a great game - we'd optimise the fun out of it.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

One thing I want to know. You know near the end just before the big battle when the naboo..er ...that is: na'vi are clinging to the sides of the flying mountains whilst the fleet of VSTOL craft are flying beneath them ? Instead of swooping down and getting the shit shot out of them....why didn't they just drop big rocks into the rotor blades ?

I was fully expecting them to do that, tree trunks if not rocks. My napkin would have been a bit wrong. ;)

As you surmised, the na'vi were obviously acting within their cultural traditions/limitations. Definately not PCs... :D

3. Deadly animals at every corner

Is the ecology of Pandora naturally created, or has there been outside interference. Such interference could be behind the Tree network and the compatibility of the Human and Nau'vi DNA.

I have not seen the thingy yet, but please consider that an ecosystem with deadly animals at every corner is not unrealistic. Land ecosystems on Earth are not organized this way, but water ecosystems may actually have the biomass of major predators at a given time being larger than that of vegetables and herbivores. So there is no reason an alien land ecosystem should not have a deadly beast at every corner.

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

Indeed. Just look at our own planet 65 million years ago. It had a very nasty range of deadly predators too. ;)

In fact, I've commented that Pandora clearly has a biosphere much more like prehistoric Earth than the modern world in its general level of fucundity, and that tends to support a large predator population better.

Hehehe... Tree-huggers! :P

SGL.

Exactly! The image your average "spiritual" housewife has of tribal peoples, which couldn't be further from anthropological reality. Heck, even the Ewoks made more ethnographic sense! The Na'vi suck and so does their planet and if some idiot GM would present me with them in a game I'd have trouble refraining myself from trying to destroy them ;D. (I have the same gut reaction to elves, by the way.)
RPGbericht (Dutch)

Exactly! The image your average "spiritual" housewife has of tribal peoples, which couldn't be further from anthropological reality. Heck, even the Ewoks made more ethnographic sense! The Na'vi suck and so does their planet and if some idiot GM would present me with them in a game I'd have trouble refraining myself from trying to destroy them ;D. (I have the same gut reaction to elves, by the way.)

I have to disagree somewhat; given context, the Nav'i make perfectly good sense given they have a planet with a collective mind that they can converse with. Its just a mistke to read that as any kind of useful comment on our own planetary habits, since neither of those statements are true there.

I have to disagree somewhat; given context, the Nav'i make perfectly good sense given they have a planet with a collective mind that they can converse with. Its just a mistke to read that as any kind of useful comment on our own planetary habits, since neither of those statements are true there.

It may make sense in the film, but it's still a typical "spiritual" housewives idea of indigenous cultures and how they "commune" with the earth.

Guest Vile Traveller

It may make sense in the film, but it's still a typical "spiritual" housewives idea of indigenous cultures and how they "commune" with the earth.

That's really all that matters, though. I mean, it's a fantasy movie - would you expect Glorantha or any other fantasy world to try to make sense in context with the real world? Internal consistency is the only thing any story needs to worry about.

But as some said here, its a mix of hard SF and space opera and not fantasy. And with this in mind the Navi dont have much sense or even well thought out design. They are eco-Sioux with blue skin on dragons, nothing more.

I dont care much about Avatars story which is flat and predictable, more than most other Cameron films, but the great CGIs are revolutionary and definately the best ever shown in a movie. My recommendation is: run to the next theater and watch it.