Best Gaming House Rule EVER!

I was a young enlisted man serving in the US Army in Germany when the Twilight: 2000 game came out way back when rocks were still soft and fire was this new hippie thing that would never catch on.

The game became instantly popular in the barracks for several reasons, but the main one was that we had all the toys immediately to hand or knew somebody we could ask about them. I mean, our wall lockers had our helmets, web gear, and 'go' bags on top of them. The motor pool was full of M1 tanks, a Bradley IFV or two, and other bit of military mayhem machines.

But this was also the age Rambo and Chuck Norris movies. At every table there was that 'one guy' whose characters always carried an SMG, a M16 /203 [an M16 with a 40mm grenade launcher under the barrel] AND  a sniper rifle and believed down to the bottom of his soul that could wear a flack vest, a full rucksack, and every piece of ironmongery he owned and STILL jump through a window, execute a combat roll, and come up ready to fire an 'aimed shot'. After awhile it got to be a real pain in the ass to argue with guys like this every week. Then the GM [my buddy Russ] came up with a solution that was not only elegant, but freaking hysterical as well....

He instituted the Get Your Shit On Rule, or GYSOR.

If Joe Knucklehead wanted his character to do some seriously Dolph Lundgren type ninja-hero shit, he would be challenged to Get His Shit On. This meant that he had to go to his wall locker and put on his helmet, flack vest, and his 'go' bag rucksack and do something physically challenging. Examples included jumping over a chair without tripping and falling, or running up and down the barracks stairs 3 times and then writing his General Orders legibly, or something similar. If Joe Knucklehead successfully completed said maneuver, then the Uncaring Buddha of War smiled upon Joe's character and whatever idiotic stunt Joe previously described was executed to perfection. If Joe failed in the task, his stupid idea failed... spectacularly. The only single guarantee was that the character wouldn't out-and-out die.

I hope you all enjoyed my little trip [pun intended] down memory lane, and I highly recommend such a rule when you have such a person at the table.

Edited by svensson
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

12 hours ago, svensson said:

If Joe Knucklehead wanted his character to do some seriously Dolph Lundgren type ninja-hero shit, he would be challenged to Get His Shit On. This meant that he had to go to his wall locker and put on his helmet, flack vest, and his 'go' back rucksack and do something physically challenging. Examples included jumping over a chair without tripping and falling, or running up and down the barracks stairs 3 times and then writing his General Orders legibly, or something similar. If Joe Knucklehead successfully completed said maneuver, then the Uncaring Buddha of War smiled upon Joe's character and whatever idiotic stunt Joe previously described was executed to perfection. If Joe failed in the task, his stupid idea failed... spectacularly. The only single guarantee was that the character wouldn't out-and-out die.

Now that makes me wonder - did Joe Knucklehead train that ability in real life?

Telling how it is excessive verbis

1 hour ago, Joerg said:

Now that makes me wonder - did Joe Knucklehead train that ability in real life?

Well at the time, the two or three guys I'm thinking of were enlisted men in the US Army... which is a very special kind of knucklehead